Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:21 AM   #11
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone not do well baby visits from the beginning?

If you have medicade you have to go or you could lose your coverage.We have a wonderful chiropractor that we see it counts as a doctor, but she doesn't do vaccines.

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 08:22 AM   #12
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKWMeg View Post
Well since I'm a first time Mommy, I have to say that I go to all of mine, but after my son and I picked up a NASTY NASTY cold bug at our last appt I'm reconsidering! (I hadn't been sick in over 6 months and he had never been sick!)
That's one of the big reasons we don't go...Dr. offices are filled with sick kids & germs, kinda nasty places.

We took Avery in at 1 week old and 2 weeks old because we wanted his weight checked (we had a rough start to bfing and he lost a lot of weight at first) but we haven't been back since. His ped was pretty ridiculous in his pressure to vax, even at those early visits. If Avery needs to see a doctor for something we'll go back there though, or to urgent care.

ETA - we do plan on doing annual check ups, so Avery will be going in in a few weeks for that.

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo

Last edited by nini02; 06-23-2008 at 08:24 AM.
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:26 AM   #13
scbusf
Registered Users
seller

We have done them, but only because DS has a heart murmur that we've needed to keep an eye on. If he hadn't had that, I don't think I would have done them. Maybe once a year or something.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:29 AM   #14
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We used to go to ea. Visit when dd was younger (and we had a regular ped.). I hated those appts--the world seemed to revolve around shots + dh and - would be sick to our stomachs knowing we were going into battle vs. the ped over vaxxes.
Finally I got up the nerve to try a holistic ped I'd interviewed while pg (we went w/ the regular one last min. Because he had hospital privileges and dd had severe jaundice.)
Well, if that wasn't the best decision I've ever made, idk what is.
No more vax pressure--just discussing her milestones and checking her growth. You wouldn't even know you're in a dr office till she pulled out a baby scale from a cabinet.
Now we go 1x/yr at most when I get curios about her weight and just want to check in on the vax sked/state of disease in our area. I feel like I actually get intelligent, unbiased info from her and evaluate whether there's a vax I feel is necessary or not.
For those of you stressed by the vax debate w/ your vax happy ped,look a holistic practitioner in your area. Ours is only partially covered by insurance and her office is 40 min. away, but w/ the infrequency of our visits, it's no big deal vs. monthly copays at a reg ped.
Dd has never had to take a traditional medicine and our ped was there w/ is via phone helping us fight the er docs who wanted to give dd unnecessary steroids for croup.
What a relief it is too to have a dr who can teach ME about diseases and medicine vs. Me having to research my butt off in order to be able to challenge the old ped.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #15
CMommyof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thankfully my girls pedi is so great. I do well baby vistits. There is so much to the well visits besides the shots for us. The dr will spend about 45 mins with us per visit. They take their temp, weigh them, measure them. My oldest gets her bp done now. We talk about the kids everything like their diet, there likes/dislikes in life. He plays with them and talks to them checks their eyes, ears, and heart. Measures their heads. Thankfully they have seperate well/ sick rooms. We have only been to the dr a handful of times besides well visits and my oldest is 5. The pedi and I have formed a wonderful relationship he always tell me wat a great parent I am and he knows what my kids are like when they are NOT sick. If they were to ever come down with something he will be able to see when somethings not right. Also they discovered my niece had a hole in her heart when she was a year old. If not for well visits no one would have caught it and she could have died. Also I want to protect myself and the kids. I worry that if someone ever questions my non vaccinating I want to be sure it's on records that I still take my kids to the dr.

Oh also my dd had a eye check last time turns out she needed glasses and no one noticed not even the pre K teachers

excuse my posts if they seem short or have typos
CMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #16
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenwaitingalongtime View Post
We used to go to ea. Visit when dd was younger (and we had a regular ped.). I hated those appts--the world seemed to revolve around shots + dh and - would be sick to our stomachs knowing we were going into battle vs. the ped over vaxxes.
Finally I got up the nerve to try a holistic ped I'd interviewed while pg (we went w/ the regular one last min. Because he had hospital privileges and dd had severe jaundice.)
Well, if that wasn't the best decision I've ever made, idk what is.
No more vax pressure--just discussing her milestones and checking her growth. You wouldn't even know you're in a dr office till she pulled out a baby scale from a cabinet.
Now we go 1x/yr at most when I get curios about her weight and just want to check in on the vax sked/state of disease in our area. I feel like I actually get intelligent, unbiased info from her and evaluate whether there's a vax I feel is necessary or not.
For those of you stressed by the vax debate w/ your vax happy ped,look a holistic practitioner in your area. Ours is only partially covered by insurance and her office is 40 min. away, but w/ the infrequency of our visits, it's no big deal vs. monthly copays at a reg ped.
Dd has never had to take a traditional medicine and our ped was there w/ is via phone helping us fight the er docs who wanted to give dd unnecessary steroids for croup.
What a relief it is too to have a dr who can teach ME about diseases and medicine vs. Me having to research my butt off in order to be able to challenge the old ped.
I wish there was an alternative like that around here.

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #17
trilla_marion
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post
Same here. Also, I feel it is important to develop a relationship w/ your ped so that when you do need to see him, he'll know you & your kids. Even though my kids are very rarely sick (in fact, I think the last time Gavin went for a non well-baby visit was when he was 2 - he's now 5), when we do go in he knows that we prefer natural remedies, want to avoid abx if possible, etc. I'm not a doctor, so I want to make sure my kids occasionally see one so he can look out for anything unusual. I get checkups w/ my GP, why wouldn't my kids?
umm wow...you just made me have some slight appreciation for our med clinic...Mostly I don't like them but we're military and currently they say we have no choice but to take my dd there. Anyway they schedule well baby check-ups at pre-designated times where they are not seeing any sick children. So the waiting room is often empty when we go in. We've done all her well-baby but we also vax (except for the vericella)...I would probably go just because I always love finding out how much she's grown and how much she weighs...I don't have any way to weigh her at home. heh
Old 06-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #18
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a delay vax mom and still did the well baby visits. I think it is important because there are some things you might miss that a Dr. can pick up on. The visits are not just about vaxing.

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:47 AM   #19
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the input mamas!!

I probably will take him...In our region it is almost unheard of to live this "crunchy" lifestyle and I've been to a couple of pediatricians already that are just a**holes about it...but you know what...its just time for me to go in with my information and say its not up for discussion! lol...

I did look into holistic practitioners but the nearest one is about 2 years away and doesn't take the Healthy Kids insurance we have and we can't afford to pay out of pocket
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #20
MizzuzHowell
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I take our daughter to all her well-baby visits even though we don't vax. I just love to take her and find out how much she grew and her percentile and things like that. We have good insurance that pays for 100% of her check-ups, tho. To be honest, if they didn't pay for the entire visit, I probably wouldn't take her as often. She is a very healthy little girl and we were lucky to find a dr that supports our decision. Her first ped. was constantly harrassing us about vaxing and so I just never went back. We found a great GP who actually had a holistic partner for awhile so he is very open-minded. I know how lucky we are to have found him. He accepted our daughter as a patient at about 2-3 months old. As far as CPS, I'm not sure, I think it may depend on how strict your state is. To protect yourself, you may want to go ahead and fill out that form saying you are opposed to vaxing, using whatever reason your state allows. It is the same card you give to day-care or school saying your child has been vaxed, only yours will list your reason for not and you could keep it with you.