Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #21
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone not do well baby visits from the beginning?

We did the one week and the one-month, and none since. I only did those to make sure dd was gaining well and the jaundice was gone, and that there were no other detectable things like heart murmer, etc. I don't go to the doc just for him to tell youme I'm fine, only when I'm sick, so I don't see why it should be different for my lo. Especially if you're not doing a normal vax schedule there is no reason to have all those visits. I will do a 1 year for dd, and probably annually after that, but all those visits in the beginning are really only for vaccines.

Advertisement

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #22
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

We don't go to them. DD1 went to her first couple but since we weren't vaxing (she's never had any) I saw how pointless they were. So we found a natural/herbal medicine MD who we've seen a couple times (but never with the new baby) and we'll refer to her if we need something...because even SHE says coming in regularly is pretty pointless.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:30 PM   #23
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulusmom View Post
We did the one week and the one-month, and none since. I only did those to make sure dd was gaining well and the jaundice was gone, and that there were no other detectable things like heart murmer, etc. I don't go to the doc just for him to tell youme I'm fine, only when I'm sick, so I don't see why it should be different for my lo. Especially if you're not doing a normal vax schedule there is no reason to have all those visits. I will do a 1 year for dd, and probably annually after that, but all those visits in the beginning are really only for vaccines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blessedmama View Post
We don't go to them. DD1 went to her first couple but since we weren't vaxing (she's never had any) I saw how pointless they were. So we found a natural/herbal medicine MD who we've seen a couple times (but never with the new baby) and we'll refer to her if we need something...because even SHE says coming in regularly is pretty pointless.
Really I agree with both of you...I see it as pointless too because I can weigh, measure and do blood pressure myself [I have that stuff!]

But they are on the state insurance [not medicaid though] we actually pay a premium...it's like the next step up on the ladder...and I think we are bound to go or else we lose it, but I'll check into that further...

I only take my son now when he's sick as well. I'll start doing the "yearly" checkup at age 2 with a GP though.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #24
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

we do all of them-my dr. saw torticollis in my one dd at one of her well baby appts. and we ended up in pt for months to fix it-I hadn't even noticed the problem but it would have become a big problem if we hadn't fixed it. My dd (an new baby) have the sacrel dimple, another thing detected at a well baby check up (didn't know what it was until the dr. pointed it out)-my dd had several tests and though it all came back fine, I'm glad she was checked out to be sure. sara
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #25
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

First - I respect and enjoy my daughter's Pediatrician. And she's genuinely concerned with my child's health. She doesn't PUSH anything. She allows us to make 100% of the decisions.

Second - My daughter's health is a priority of mine. The doctor doesn't only do vaccinations... they're checking for the OVERALL health of the child.

Third - I go to the doctor for check ups, my daughter will, too.

Fourth - why would I spend thousands of dollars for obstetric care while I was pregnant... only to stop providing medical care to my child one she was born.

Fifth - I have respect for people who choose not to use the medical care system, but at the same time, I'm not willing to take those types of risks.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #26
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equivocal View Post
First - I respect and enjoy my daughter's Pediatrician. And she's genuinely concerned with my child's health. She doesn't PUSH anything. She allows us to make 100% of the decisions.

Second - My daughter's health is a priority of mine. The doctor doesn't only do vaccinations... they're checking for the OVERALL health of the child.

Fourth - why would I spend thousands of dollars for obstetric care while I was pregnant... only to stop providing medical care to my child one she was born.

Fifth - I have respect for people who choose not to use the medical care system, but at the same time, I'm not willing to take those types of risks.
sara
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #27
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We went to a visit at 2 weeks and then again at 2 months but haven't been back since. She will go at 12 months, 15 months, 18 months and 24 months because we are seeing a new ped who is supportive of our delayed/selective/non-vaxing but he wants to see her at those checkups just to check her developmental milestones. I don't really think they're necessary but if he's going to be supportive of our vaccination schedule I'll do what he wants for developmental visits. I'm just so excited to have found someone that actually doesn't think I'm a horrid mother for delaying vaxes.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #28
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Good points. We go see a chiro regularly and they're pretty on top of checking the kids too so I don't really feel the need to see a ped for every single little development thing. and the only doc I go see regularly is the OBGYN. Otherwise I don't hardly ever see my family practice doctor.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:24 PM   #29
jennsmile
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you don't do well baby visits, be sure to get a good book on child developement. I love "Take Care of your Child's Health" By George Wootan. It is very informative and tells you how to monitor your child's growth and what to look for.

Jenn

PS my 2nd was 18 months before we took him to the DR. Now though I have a Dr. I and I am sure the new babe will get a visit within the first little bit. And I know I don't have to fight delaying vaxing with her or her staff.

Fort Hood Mama's check out LLL of Killeen
jennsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #30
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I totally get what you are saying

I do think though that we [as a country] are "overly" medical-ized and tend to go the doctor for everything little thing. I kind of *personally* feel that many things can be taken care of without running to the doctor. I don't think it makes anyone any less caring or any less of a parent if they don't go to every single appointment. I myself only go when I'm very sick or for yearly checkups.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote