Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
mom2adrien
Registered Users
seller

A Pediatrician In/Around Richmond? (Long, sorry!)

First, let me say that our son (17 months) Adrien hasn't been vaccinated since he was 7 months old. He had the Hep B before he left the hospital at birth, then he had 2 rounds of shots after that- but nothing more. I decided to try and hold off on them because every time he was vaccinated he would run high fevers for days and then would get sick afterward. It just seemed like it wasn't worth it to us.. And after researching vaccines I felt comfortable w/ my choice. I knew that he would have to get them eventually though, as people in this family do travel in and out of the country, and I was actually planning on talking to the Ped about what route to go.

We've had 3 visits to his new pediatrician (we recently moved). The first 2 were sick visits, and we saw a different doctor each time. I loved the doctor that we saw the first time, even though it wasn't but for maybe 10-15 minutes. She was supportive of us doing extended BFing, and she didn't seem concerned when I told her he hadn't been vaccinated since he was 7 months.

However, the doctor that we saw on Wed. and Fri. I didn't like at all! On Wed. I ended up bringing him in 15 minutes before they closed (he was running a fever of 103.7 that wasn't going away w/ Tylenol), and the whole time she was acting inconvenienced and rushing. She diagnosed him w/ an ear infection (prescribed antibiotics) after only looking at him for maybe 10 seconds. I feel like he may not have been properly diagnosed because he also has a cough and runny/stuffy nose. On the way out she realized that he had yet to be there for a well baby check-up and that he hadn't been vaccinated. She told me to make a well baby visit for that Fri. (yesterday), that his fever should be gone by then, and that he would get his vaccines. I made the apt. thinking that I would talk to her about it then.

Well, Fri. came..and his fever was still there and his runny/stuffy nose had worsened. I told the nurse that, so they switched it to a sick baby visit. After the CNP checked him and had the Ped check him, they decided that he was well enough to have a well baby visit. She told me that he still had some fluid/puss in his ear, but it was looking better. Right away she ordered the CNP to have them give 4 shots. I asked her if we could do less than that, and her response was "No, because then he will never catch up." I told her that I wasn't worried about catching him up, that I am more worried about how his body would handle all of these vaccines at once. She seemed to be ignoring me, and went on to count all of the vaccines that he has missed out loud. I told her I was well aware of all the vaccines he had missed, but she still seemed to be ignoring me. She then went on to tell me that she could do 2-3, but that some insurance companies didn't like that, that they may not cover the vaccines/visits, and that they would probably start to make me pay for the vaccines myself. I told her that was fine, I'm not worried about having to pay.. So then she started to tell me that he wouldn't be allowed to go to Pre-K if he wasn't fully vaccinated. I told her that wasn't true, that there is a form I can get at the Health Dept. that I can sign... She just looked shocked. So, then she started arguing w/ me from a medical stand point. She was throwing all of this information at me, Adrien was screaming, and I had already been there for an hour and a half and had a lot more to do that day.. I ended up giving in and letting them give him 4 shots (Hep A, MMR, DTap, and Pollio). I'm soo mad at myself!

To make it worse, the CNP retracted Adrien's foreskin, and said that she "had to make sure it retracts." I didn't even have a chance to stop her. I told her while I was trying to get it to go back in that I hadn't ever done that before. He was already crying, so I'm not sure if it hurt him or not.. But it wouldn't go back in, and she just snapped his dipe back and said it would go back on it's own. He doesn't seem hurt by it, but I don't really know for sure. He's been really fussy after this appointment yesterday, tired, running fevers, diarrhea..I don't know if it's him still being sick, the vaccines, or that his penis hurts. I didn't have him circumcised for a reason. I sure don't want someone retracting HIS foreskin before he does!!

I just don't know what to do. I really want to call there and tell them how I feel, but I'm not sure if they would really care. So, I'm looking for a doctor in or around Richmond (preferably South Side) that is understanding w/ my type of parenting style. I don't want someone that will argue w/ me and not understand my concerns as a parent.

Anything is appreciated, and if you read this much..thanks!

Advertisement

mom2adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:07 AM   #2
wendellg
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: A Pediatrician In/Around Richmond? (Long, sorry!)

Sorry that you had such a bad experience mama! We use Richmond peds. but they only are in Mechanicsville and the West End. They are a wonderful bunch! Very supportive of our choice to delay/selective vax. I hope you find someone
wendellg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
mom2adrien
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for replying mama..

I actually used to take Adrien to Richmond Peds in Mechanicsville.. We liked it there a lot too! It was a lot closer before we moved, but now it's pretty far. We are almost in Amelia County now, so I'm sure you can imagine the trip.
mom2adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
jkbcitro
Registered Users
seller

I take my kids to Swift Creek Pediatrics at St. Francis Hospital. Never had any issues with them. Not sure where you are taking them now.

We delayed my son's 4 year vacs. because he is ASD/SID and the Dr. was cool with it. There are only 2 Drs. and a N.P. there, but there is never an issue to be seen when we need an appt or a sick visit.
jkbcitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
BuddhaBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you should probably tell someone about the foreskin thing. Not cool.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=129378

BTW we drive DS about an hour to see the ped. but I have heard good things about Woodlake Pediatrics in Chesterfield. Good luck!
Old 07-04-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
Sistina123
Registered Users

That is awful! Our ped was not only ok with us not circumcising, he was happy about it. We have drastically delayed vacs and he was more than happy to discuss our decisions. We see Dr.Chun at the Pediatric Center, by the way. I don't think they have an office out your way, though. You could also try Richmond Mommies for ped info. There's a few of us crunchy moms on there. Good luck!
Sistina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
Inked_Mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Dr. Caldwell in Colonial Heights is wonderful. Very holistic, educated, relaxed and open minded. She is the first ped. I have been to that supported no vax, extended bf, cd'ing, and even talked to me about magnetic therapy and taking local pollen to help with allergies (for kids over 2). Cannot say enough good things about her or her practice!
Inked_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote