Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
ajprosek
Registered Users

How do you get them to sleep if????

They are laughing and giggling and kicking DD is almost 9 mths and for the past week she won't go to bed. Bedtime is between 7:30 - 8, lately 6:30 comes and she is screaming because she is tired, so start to get her ready, change diaper, put on her sleeper and she is shrieking with laughter, kicking so hard I can barely hold her while trying to rock her. She is happier then, then she is all day Rock her down to where she is limp, past out baby, but put her in her crib and she rolls around and uses her feet to push on the bars and is doing laps in the crib. She only screams when she get herself stuck and can't get out, so we move her back to the middle, eventually she will let you rock her again. This goes on for hours! Last night we started at 7, it took an hour to rock her down, then another hour to settle her down in her crib, then she was up at 10, 11 to nurse before she went down to her normal schedule, 3:30, 6, up at 8. I'm exhausted, I haven't been able to do anything, before she was around 7, 7-15 story, change her, nurse, rock to sleep, in bed, down till about 8:30 nurse again and down till 2. She has never been a good sleeper, but she would go to bed. She can't crawl yet, she will stand if you hold her hands and can roll all around. Do I just try starting to put her to bed at 4? She is sleepier during the day, she went from going down for 12 hours to now sometimes only 8. Any help? DH and I laugh at it, but it's starting to get annoying.

Advertisement

Last edited by ajprosek; 06-24-2008 at 09:47 AM.
ajprosek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it still CIO if????

it's not crying it out if she's not crying. It does sound though as maybe she needs a different bedtime (or it needing adjusting). Babies can change the amount of sleep they need, whether or not we the parents feel it's what they normally get. 8 hours is still definitely good. Could you try keeping her up a little later and doing bath and stuff and then nursing before she lays down, but just try a little later?
Old 06-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It doesn't sound like CIO to me.
It does sound like you need a mesh bumper to stop her getting her legs stuck and getting frustrated.
http://www.securebaby.com/crib_shiel...FSY1agodxB9HWw
Old 06-24-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
ajprosek
Registered Users

Any idea on how much sleep a little one needs? She was getting 11 at night, then increased it herself to 12, now she's down to 10 to 9 hours at night. Her naps vary so maybe I'll try writing them down today.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
LilyGrace
Registered Users

Re: How do you get them to sleep if????

If she's tired at 6:30, why not put her down then?

My 9yo still gets wired if he misses his sleep window. He's overtired, but then gets overstimulated and it can be another 2-3 hours before he can sleep again. And he doesn't get good sleep those nights, either. He's outgrowing it slowly, but it's still something we have to watch for.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
sbolen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 13 month old just started getting ready for bed at 6:30 lately. It used to be later. So, we just started to put her down to sleep between 6:30 and 7 when we can get our butts in gear and do it. She still wakes up at night, but will sleep until 8am as opposed to her previous 6am waking.
So, try putting her down earlier and see what happens!

Also, if you put her down and she's happy and playing, just leave. IMO, its good for babies to learn to entertain themselves. She may put herself to sleep. My cousin's baby does that. He plays with his mobile, plays with his aquarium, then falls asleep! If your baby goes from playing to crying, then go back in and get her happy again!
Old 06-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
ajprosek
Registered Users

Well tried last night at 6:30 and more of the same, but she entertained herself for about 20 mins watching her mobile in the crib, Then she was actually willing to be rocked down, she was down around 9, but made it till 2:30 and not again till 6! So between her finally napping yesterday we are making progress, maybe it's just a phase.