Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
ceelynncee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Scary Rabies Story For Carolina Mama's

My nephew found a baby raccoon on the side of a road in rural Charleston county 3 weeks ago. He took it home,built a cage outside and intended to raise it to be released.After about a week it began having trouble swallowing and died.He contacted DNR and they said the problem swallowing could be a symptom of rabies.DNR came out and picked up the animal for testing.The test came back negative but they had a very stressful 24 hour wait.It is not uncommon for wild baby animals to be found abandoned in S.C.,even in the more populated areas.My family has always adopted animals like this with no problems,but things have changed,rabies is more rampant now.It is easy to just call DNR about an adult wild animal acting strangely but the babies tug at our heartstrings!If you find an abandoned animal,just call DNR.It's not worth taking a chance.

Advertisement

ceelynncee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
megpie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Scary Rabies Story For Carolina Mama's

there was a rabies scare around here in eastern north carolina a couple of weeks ago! we have been urged not to play with stray pets, and to keep children indoors. crazy!
megpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:09 AM   #3
devoneri
Registered Users

Re: Scary Rabies Story For Carolina Mama's

Yeah I just heard a warning for Lake Wylie/Clover, SC area... I don't think it's rampant in this area here but the article I read just wanted to make that same point, that if you see a baby animal and it's acting friendly, there's a very good chance it is rabid since that's not normal animal behavior.
devoneri is offline   Reply With Quote