Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:06 AM   #11
eilla05
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do I have to start with rice cereal? (kind of a rant, kind of a question)

It just amazes me to see some of the post that some of you make saying your pedi said this and that. My pedi told me not to start G on solids until 6months unless i felt like he was really ready and that its better not to start them until at least 6months.

I think your the mama and you decide whats best for you child with the guidance of your pediatrician. i think the knowledge they have is great and sharing is great but they dont know your child the way you do and the 15m they spend with them every couple of months in no way gives them to right to tell you what to do with your baby. They are not god so to speak and dont know everything and apparently some of them are out of date anyway

ETA: G hated the rice cereal and my pedi said it was fine to start off with whatever we wanted and as long as we waited the few days in between things to make sure he didnt have a reaction.

Advertisement

Last edited by eilla05; 06-25-2008 at 09:08 AM.
eilla05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #12
sjanea74
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nak so I'll just leave this: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

We didn't do cereal. Just let him try to self feed when he was ready to try. Avocado and rice rusks at about 6-7 months. Now, at almost 10 months he just gets a little of what we eat but i try to give more meats, fruits and veggies and stay away from too many carbs.

sjanea74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #13
chipmunk
Registered Users

My Mood:

Your ped should know better. The current recommendation for EBF kids is no earlier than 6 months. My ped said no earlier than 6 months but I could wait as long as I wanted to introduce solid foods. I can't remember how old #2 was but we just gave her little bits of stuff and big things she could gnaw on.

Cereals are actually not good as baby foods since they are pure sugar (starch) and fairly nutritionally void. Better choices are avocados, bananas, peaches, cooked apples, mushed potatoes, etc. Those taste better, too!
Tracy (32) DH (38) DD#1 (3) DD#2 (1)
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #14
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

here is what i was told to look for:

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
1. Baby can sit up well without support.
2. Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.

3. Baby is ready and willing to chew.
4. Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
5. Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.

Also whenever you do decide to start solids(not talking about a cold piece of fruit or veggie for nawing while teething) when they start to digest; if your baby is cutting a tooth or getting over a illness wait about a week after and then introduce foods; and this will go for everytime tooth and illness. Why; because then you will know if baby is reacting to food or it is part of the teething/illness.

Last edited by eragsdale; 06-25-2008 at 12:17 PM.
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
reneeumiami
Registered Users

At 6 mo I made my own rice cereal (ground organic brown basmati rice into flour in new coffee grinder), and after all my efforts DS made aweful faces and pushed it back out with his tounge. We tried again with banana 3 weeks later-success! Now he eats my rice cereal, usually with cooked peas mixed in. At 6 mo, they're really just tasting the food and learning how to eat, not deriving all their iron from it. Somehow babies have survived for thousands of years before your ped's strict 6mo rice cereal deadline.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:03 AM   #16
aikigypsy
Registered Users

I don't see the point of baby rice, and have no intention of using it. It has no nutritional value whatsoever (the iron fortification is minimal compared to other baby cereals) and is sounds incredibly boring.
aikigypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #17
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Baby cereal is filler food. It's meant to sit in their tummies for a long time and not give them the proper nutrients that they need (wait a minute, someone should market that for dieters, get a full tummy feeling while not really eating at all. I'm brilliant!)

That said, I went that route with The Kid since I truly didn't know any better. This time around, I'm doing Baby Led Weaning.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #18
momtoamiracle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my Ob actually told me to skip rice cereal because it can cause problems. Sure enough it gave my baby a tummy ache. So I went with oatmeal, which is healthier anyway.

my boy isn't like most babies - didn't like avocados or bananas. his dr told me that for the first year that BM or formula is really all they need nutritionally and that food is just extra.

don't worry about when you start, do it when your baby shows readiness.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:16 PM   #19
MeliMoni Designs
Registered Users

My Mood:

Rice cereal (esp gerber) gives gas. I would never give this if you have a gassy colicky baby already, bananas are a better starter food :0)
MeliMoni Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #20
bootdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The World Health Organization recommends waiting a MINIMUM of 6 mos before introducing solids. I think many U.S. docs out there may have some old fashioned opinions on the matter, but I recommend you check out their website at:

http://www.who.int/en/

They also recommend breastfeeding for at least the first 2 years, as opposed to the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) recommendation of 1 year.

Educate yourself on what is harmful for your baby so you know what to avoid, and introduce new foods with caution. Just do what feels right.

(wholesomebabyfood.com & homemade-baby-food-recipes.com are 2 good online resources I found)
bootdiva is offline   Reply With Quote