Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
mia&seansmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
My ped used the word "deadly" (vax related)

i told my ped today that for the time being we've decided to hold off on vaccinating...even though sean (just turned 2) would only need 1 vax today. she asked what i had read and i said a lot of stuff on line that i took with a grain of salt, so then i read the ingredient list and the package inserts from the cdc website. she said, and i quote, "if you want to read something really scary, read about what the deadly diseases could do to your children." she must have used the words "deadly" and "killers" literally 15 times while we were there. and told me that the reactions are insignificant and then used the words "killer diseases"...again. then she told me that she's on some vaccine board of the aap. it wasn't a bad appointment all together and i've really liked her up to this point.

it was a difficult appointment to begin with b/c for some reason i had scheduled it right smack in the middle of nap time. sean was being difficult, mia wanted to eat, but was way too distracted. we got there and they told me that sean didn't have a chart. i keep forgetting to take my antidepressants, and it's making me have HORRIBLE anxiety, and all of this exacerbated it. and i've been on the verge of tears since they told me sean didn't have a chart. (for some reason this really upset me.) then having to tell her that we're not vaxing anymore for now and for her to make me feel like i was putting a death sentance on my children, especially baby Mia, b/c she hasn't had some of the "essential" ones, has just made me feel horrible

Advertisement

Old 06-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My ped used the word "deadly" (vax related)

Ask her to elaborate about some of those "deadly" diseases! Chicken pox? Give me a break...just about anything you read (including from the CDC) says that one of the biggest things about Chicken Pox is that it causes parents to miss time from work. I'm a single working mom and I'll take a few sick days over injecting my kids with poison any day of the week!

You can read about the diseases themselves on the CDC website. If you want another good concise reference that lists the diseases side by side with the vaccines, check out Dr. Sears "The Vaccine Book". Ultimately he's pro-vax but if you skip the parts where he gives his opinion (which in my humble opinion DOES NOT line up with his research) then you've got all the facts at a glance and can make a fairly educated decision and have all the arguments handy.

Take a deep breath and just know that if you want to stay with this doctor, you'll have to be better prepared for this conversation next time. Maybe since she's on an advisory board for the AAP, she can show you the research that proves that the amount of aluminum in the vaxes is safe? I'm sure a lot of people would be happy to see that information. Or perhaps she can show you studies that prove that vaccines are safe in the long run and don't contribute to long-term health problems like arthritis and other autoimmune problems. I mean, her committee has all the answers right? They have researched these things?
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

:Hugs: ughhh....this is what I dread when I go Thursday to meet a new pediatrician! I agree with Barbara, have her show YOU some conclusive information, I bet she won't be able to effectively do it! I agree about the Dr. Sears book! This is where I've learned the most about why I want to NOT do certain vaxes!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
mamoo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I think that information is power. I used to feel a little worried about not vaxing, until I learned about all of the "deadly" diseases that are being vaxed for. Do some research and you will feel much better about your decision. I highly recommend Dr. Sherri Tenpenny's videos, all info is taken directly from CDC documents.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

My ped gave me the "deadly" schpeel too...that was the last time we ever went back there. I'm not a confrontational person, and even though I'm very confident in our non-vax decision and am well researched on it, I don't handle that stuff very well.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
breakfastsurreal
Registered Users

My Mood:

If you don't like dealing with her confrontations, tell her that you have heard both sides, and are well educated on it, have made your decision, and that it's not up for discussion. Really you don't want to go rounds with someone like that..esp someone on the AAP vaccine board. There's no way you will ever win her over with your reasoning, so it's not even worth discussing with her.
Peyton Elizabeth, born 10/16/08 at 2:21am, 7lbs5oz and 19 inches long. Welcome to the world baby!
breakfastsurreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
Bright_Life_Toys
Registered Users
Formerly: Jwugrad
seller
seller

My Mood:

So sorry that happened to you, Mama.

That is why I love love LOVE my ped. She has never given me any grief over my wanting to selectively vax - she even pointed me in the direction of Dr. Sears' book.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
12stars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My doc said the same things too I think they have a script that deals with parents like us.
At time I think am I doing the right choice, but then I remember wait a minute I am not vaxing because of this this and this. They really try to guilt trip you. As long as you know why you are choosing this for your child then thats all that matters.

My ped actually said he never heard of a single death due to vaxing I about fell off my chair and asked him " are you kidding me"?
I need to make a well baby appointment but I am just not ready for this all over again.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
jewelzbird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Doctors do that...it is what they are trained to do. Be gentle with yourself! vaccinations are the hardest of choices we mamas make, i think! i did some, not others...still question our decision ...you are not alone!!
Old 06-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #10
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Try not to stress over it. I think MOST mainstream pediatricians are all FOR vaccinations, so it would make sense that they're try and pressure you into doing it. I am currently looking for a ped. and I can't tell you how many times on websites they have all information on the importance of vaxs, and the dangers of not vaxing, etc...

Just do what you know is right for your kids. Thats all! And, don't worry what other people have to say about it.