Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:
Babysitting 3 kids for 2 weeks 24/7--24 hours down

24 Hours In & This is what's up:

The kids are:
3 yo Sophie is potty trained but was in diapers at night until a few days ago, Mom said she stayed dry the last few nights, & she peed the bed the first night here, so back into diapers for her,
5 yo Jack(hormone deficient, gets a shot at night, peeing randomly sometimes wets the bed, sometimes just pees his pants, was potty trained, sneaks food & sweets, the size of a 2 yo) who is in diapers at night as well, but stayed dry last night,
and 6 1/2 yo Chloe (smart, but spoiled) Little Miss Know It All.

The guest room is 100% babyproofed, but the rest of the house isn't yet. Chloe & Jack are sharing the full & Sophie is sleeping in the pack n play. We have 3 dogs & they are bringing their german sheperd, TigerLily. So there will be 2 large dogs(1 yo Wazowski, 3 yo Lily), 1 large breed puppy (12 wk. old Rosie), and 1 small dog (16 yo Blondie).

No nap yesterday because of the running made for some fussy babies by 7 pm. I am going to try an early in the day nap (instead of 6 pm like mom does) so we can be not-so-cranky but still go to bed at a reasonable hour.

I need any parenting tips, strategies, or advice for keeping them happy, fed, and well rested at night.

So far the rules we have established are:
1. No running or screaming. This excites the dogs which is dangerous.
2. Do not unmake the beds after I spent 10 minutes making them.
3. Clean up all toys before leaving the bedroom/playroom. (No toys in living room unless its a family time. I can't have the dogs chewing up toys & I'm not leaving the dogs outside when its 90something.)
4. You must use good manners (May I & Please) if you want something.
5. No bossing or hitting or tattling. (These were Mom's rules, they just carry over.)

What do you think?

Advertisement

Last edited by TeachinAuntie; 06-25-2008 at 08:49 AM.
TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:
Re: Babysitting 3 kids for 2 weeks 24/7

I wouldn't take away their naps. It could actually make bed time worse because they are so over tired, and won't sleep well (especially in a new environment). If they take naps at home - they should take naps with you.

Keep their schedule! Especially if they are going to be away from Mom and Dad for 2 weeks.

As far as rewards go - I guess it would depends on what the parents do. I wouldn't want to start something that A) the parents aren't okay with and B) would become a 'thing' they needed to have with their parents. If their parents do a reward system for good behavior go with it. But, if the rules in your house are no running and yelling - they should follow them. I wouldn't really reward them for that, honestly. Maybe a praise, or a sticker at the end of the day for following the rules but that would be about it.

But, I would just stick to as closely as possible the schedule they have at home because this will be a big change for them.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
bugaboo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachinAuntie View Post
The kids are 3 yo (potty trained but in diapers at night so she doesn't smear poo everywhere),
Sorry...I had to giggle a little on this one...my DD has done this before.

May the force be with you for the two weeks
"Freedom is not Free"
bugaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
Kanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your best bet is to ask the parents what they suggest. They know the kids the best. Keep as much as possible consistent with their routine. If taking out their naps would result in better night time sleep, odds are the parents would have already done that. They'll also probably be much more worn out than normal just being out of their element. And I'd rethink the pnp for the 3 yo. My now 2.75 outgrew it just after 2 and she's small for her age.

[COLOR="Red"]ISO: Girly Alva or Sunbaby OS for a mama on a budget.
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It is Mom's suggestion to cut/ween away the naps b/c they don't really have a schedule. She is fine with them napping from 2-6 pm & then having dinner at 8 & then not going to bed until 10 or 11 at night. I can't keep that kind of shedule. We eat dinner btwn 5-6 everyday & are in bed by 9:30 or 10:30.

Something like stickers sounds good. Each of the kids likes a different animal (rabbits, birds, and cats) I could get some stickers they'd like & give them each a piece of paper to put the stickers on. Then before Mom & Dad come home we could color/paint them & give it to Mom & Dad as a Welcome Home gift. I would probably do the stickers a little more frequently than just at bedtime though, like if we go grocery shopping or out to dinner they could earn one for that time. (There's the teacher in me coming out.)

I will have to adapt them to my schedule & rules but they are easy going mostly so I think they'll adjust fine.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Yeah, don't mess with their schedule. The parents would NOT appreciate that when they got back. Keep it as close to normal as possible to help lessen the stress on the kids. Ask the parents about food likes/dislikes to make feeding them easier, but I find that kids will eat most of what I serve them at my house even if the parents say they don't like it. Funny, huh?!! Let them know the rules in your house and stick to them. If you want to do a reward for following the rules, just say something like these are the rules in my house, this is what will happen if you don't follow the rules, and this is what will happen if you do. Just make sure you catch them following the rules and reward it. Verbal praise and/or a sticker chart should work fine. Good luck.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No naps always backfires here. In fact yesterday DD didn't nap well and then didn't sleep last night. UGH!!!!!
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #8
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

The mom needs to have them not taking naps before they come to you then. I think they'll be MORE tired being out of their element for 2 weeks. I wouldn't want to mess with what they're used to, especially without Mom and Dad. 2 weeks is a loooooong time.

And, I have a 3 year old. If i tried to put her in a pack n play which I think would be INSANELY small to sleep in comfortably and I have a very petite little girl - she'd freak.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the tips mamas. Their mom is supplying me with some of their favorite foods. Since I babysit them (& have been for the last year) I know mostly what they like/dislike/tolerate.

The 3 yo only moved OUT of a pack n play about 4-5 months ago. She was in one in her parents room until then. She can sleep a hotel mini crib.

I am hoping that the three of them will sleep in the full-size bed together (I plan on staggering bedtimes--so when one falls asleep the next goes to bed.) If not then I have a twin mattress (no boxspring) that I can also set up in there & a couch bed in the living room.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #10
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Babysitting 3 kids for 2 weeks 24/7--24 hours down

For Updates & the first 24 hours down