Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
mindycat72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Yes another circumcision post-no flaming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaToBe84 View Post
I wouldnt have wanted my mother to give me a mastectomy at birth just because i "could maybe possibly" get breast cancer some day.
Exactly. ANY body part CAN be problematic, far more frequently than the foreskin. It's needless to start hacking things off to prevent a very slim "maybe".

Advertisement

mindycat72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:24 PM   #12
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

Great thread!

I have just learned about NOT circ'ing my DS and my first DS and DH are circ'd...and this one will not be.

The best thing I heard when making my decision was that when they're adult males the skin naturally retracts, whereas a baby's skin is similar to your fingernail attached to your finger (the foreskin and head are fused)...so when you hear "it's worse for a grownup to get circ'd" I think that's BS because when a baby gets it done they tear the head and the foreskin apart, and at least an adult males already retracts and can just be cut, and an adult male can have proper pain medication before AND after the circ, unlike a baby. I have heard that when you hear your baby is sleeping sweetly during his circ and can't feel it...that is thought to possibly be a coping mechanism for infants in horrible pain, and they're possibly in shock. You can't tell me they can't feel it, even the sleeping ones who don't appear botherd.

Stand firm on your decision, you're doing the right thing!
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:42 PM   #13
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

As a pp said, the medically necessary circ rate in Scandinavia, where they are used to dealing with (and respecting the function of) the intact penis is between 1:14-16 THOUSAND boys. If you surround yourself w/ knowledge and knowledgeable care providers, your son is extremely extremely unlikely to ever need a circumcision.

My husband is from the UK, where they no longer routinely circ, and he knows not a single person who has had issues.

Many of the issues you hear of here are either non-issues (doctors freaking out over a toddler's foreskin not retracting when some don't retract till puberty and that is normal) or caused by the establishment (doctors advising parents to retract prematurely) or simple lack of knowledge (slight redness for a day or two that may go along with the natural separation process that a doctor decides is an infection), etc.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)

Last edited by ThatLinGirl; 06-25-2008 at 02:46 PM.
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #14
andivebeen
Registered Users

My Mood:

Refreshing to see so many smart mamas on this thread

Due with #2 April 2013
andivebeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #15
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaG01 View Post
Great thread!

I have just learned about NOT circ'ing my DS and my first DS and DH are circ'd...and this one will not be.

The best thing I heard when making my decision was that when they're adult males the skin naturally retracts, whereas a baby's skin is similar to your fingernail attached to your finger (the foreskin and head are fused)...so when you hear "it's worse for a grownup to get circ'd" I think that's BS because when a baby gets it done they tear the head and the foreskin apart, and at least an adult males already retracts and can just be cut, and an adult male can have proper pain medication before AND after the circ, unlike a baby. I have heard that when you hear your baby is sleeping sweetly during his circ and can't feel it...that is thought to possibly be a coping mechanism for infants in horrible pain, and they're possibly in shock. You can't tell me they can't feel it, even the sleeping ones who don't appear botherd.

Stand firm on your decision, you're doing the right thing!
That's right, it is better for a grown man for many many reasons. I never got the "it's worse if he has to have it done later." How could it be worse? In an infant the forskin is fused like you said, plus infants do not get proper anesthesia for the procedure (the majority are still given sugar pacifiers or bottles of sugar water and nothing more, maybe EMLA, a product not supposed to be used on genitals, if they are lucky). A grown man will get general anesthesia and appropriate pain management after the surgery. But the other thing to take into consideration is size. Is it easier to perform surgery on a tiny nb or a grown man? There is more to work with so to speak on the adult, cutting down the risk of a botch. But also when a dr circumcises a baby he guesses how much to take off. If he takes off to much the child will grow into a man who cannot have an erection without his skin splitting open painfully. Tight infant circumcisions lead to curved painful erections and penises that are on average 2 inches shorter than their intact counter parts. I do'nt know a man out there who wants his penis to be smaller.

So yes, it is definately easier and better to perform a circumcision on a grown man. I think it is a myth that runs along the lines of people not believing that nbs feel pain the same as we do. It's not true, and infact studies have shown that nb boys who were circumcised have a harder time handling the pain of routine vaccinations than their intact counter parts. That much pain that young does something to the still developing mind. It definately isn't something to be done lightly.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #16
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Oh, also, a study out of the UK has shown that the foreskin causes no more than its own share of problems -- meaning no more than the eyelid, or earlobe, or other bodily parts. When we do hear of someone having a foreskin issue, the immediate cultural response of many here in a culture where circumcision is common is that it should have been cut off at birth to eliminate the problem. Well -- this study has shown that to be inaccurate, unless you also want to remove many other bodily parts. And of course, there's also the issue of the *functions* of the foreskin, which many seem unaware of.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #17
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To answer the original question, here's a great link with 25 reasons not to circ:

http://www.coloradonocirc.org/reasons.php

That whole site is really good, actually

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo

Last edited by nini02; 06-25-2008 at 08:28 PM.
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote