Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

Vaxing after 3 to avoid autism?

I wanted to know if this would even work? I'm not hugely informed on vaxes but I do know some. I fully vaxed my oldest out of just not knowing any better. My second was delayed vaxed and has never received anything with live cultures in it. With this lo, I just don't want them getting pokes so young. It really unnerves me to watch defenseless infants being inoculated. At 3, I can at least warn them of what is coming.

So, at 3, are the risks of developing autism or any other horrible side effect less likely?

Advertisement

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
LilyGrace
Registered Users

Re: Vaxing after 3 to avoid autism?

I waited until my youngest was nearly 3 to vaccinate. He's an aspie, but his doc and I both had the same question - do we really want to chance aggrivating it? Waiting until he was older eliminated the need for some boosters and gave his body a better chance of fighting a reaction due to more body mass. We dropped some shots alltogether - no flu, no chicken pox, no HiB...
There's no research on it, but I found it to be a better decision for our situation.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vaxing after 3 to avoid autism?

The answer is yes and no. For some things waiting till age three might help. The child is more developed and because they are older they require fewer vaxes over all, so the toxic load tipping them over is less likely, though not impossible. However things like MMR, the vaccine most commonly linked to autism is jsut as likely to cause a reaction at 3 as at 1. But I guess if you have waited till age three, why even bother doing them at all?

You said you wouldn't do the live virus vaccines, so that drops Roto, Flu, Chickenpox, and MMR. Leaving DTaP, Polio, HIB, Prevnar and PCV or whatever that new one is. HIB is only dangerous before 12months so no point doing it at all. Prevnar is a vaccine that is supposed to prevent ear infections, not worth the risk of the vaccine honestly, but also pretty pointless after age 3.

That leaves you with PCV, Polio and DTaP. Polio is asymptomatic in over 99% of cases, leaving a very small percentage to even have symptoms, paralysis is actually incredibly rare, I recomened researching the "polio outbreak" for more info, it's very interesting. DTaP is highly reactive at any age, Pertusis is most dangerous before 6months of age, and the least effective vaccine out there, in outbreaks over 80% of the people who come down with pertusis are vaccinated against it. Diptheria is incredibly rare since the advent of proper water sanitation, and even then it is very easy to treat. Leaving tetanus, that is the one most people are afraid of. Personally I don't even do that one, but I understand teh fear. Tetanus is very uncommon in children because of their healthy circulatory system. There is also a toxoid shot available should your child be injured and you were concerned. PCV is a new vaccine, on the market less than 5yrs. I would never use a vaccine under 10yrs old, too many unknowns, plus I don't like the principal of bacterial vaccines. They cause serotype replacement, we can't kill off all bacteria. The more bacterial vaccines we come up with the more we will need, it's a vicious cycle.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote