Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

how long should she be awake?

You'd think I would know this as she's my 3rd baby but I really don't. Grace is 6 months old next week(4months adjusted) and I have no idea how long her awake periods should be. I realize every baby is different so it will vary but what's the range of normal. She wakes at 7am, and is crying and tired by 8:30am. She will sleep 2-3hours and wake again to eat and play and be wanting to go back to sleep 90 minutes later. Because we got into a routine of having to pick up the oldest from the bus stop(she's not old enough or mature enough to walk home on her own yet), she would be up at 3pm and her bedtime is 7:30pm. And she's screaming at me by 6pm and miserable. I don't want to "schedule" her but I do want an idea of whether or not this is an okay thing or whether I"m setting her up for a lifetime of catnaps or whether she's just bored and I need to stimulate her more. She really seems exhausted after 90 minutes awake. I thought I remembered my older two having a morning and afternoon nap by this age and staying up for a few hours.

Advertisement

Old 06-25-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
waitingtobe
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: how long should she be awake?

1 1/2 hours sounds normal to me! Brooklyn is 9 months old and just started having about 2 hours of waketime between naps. {In the morning though she can only last about 1 1/2 hours.}

HTH

Check out my Mommy Blog at www.andbrooklynmakesthress.blogspot.com
waitingtobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
Willow's_lilmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup, every child is different. My son was down to 1 nap by 6-7 mos my dd is just now trying to make the adjustment to 1 nap at over 9 mos. At about 6 mos she was still only going about 1 1/2-2 hours before her AM nap and 2-3 before her 2nd nap and we struggled to keep her awake till 7:30. It changes fast, as you know, in just a couple months so enjoy.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #4
mama2logan&evan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest slept all day. He would wake up to have his diaper changed and to eat and that was about it. Until he was close to 10 months old he was like that. My youngest is 16 months old and up until very recently he was only awake for 2 hours at a time. At 6 months, if I wasn't putting him to bed at least 2 hours after his last nap, sometimes it was as soon as an hour, he was a monster.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady View Post
You'd think I would know this as she's my 3rd baby but I really don't. Grace is 6 months old next week(4months adjusted) and I have no idea how long her awake periods should be. I realize every baby is different so it will vary but what's the range of normal. She wakes at 7am, and is crying and tired by 8:30am. She will sleep 2-3hours and wake again to eat and play and be wanting to go back to sleep 90 minutes later. Because we got into a routine of having to pick up the oldest from the bus stop(she's not old enough or mature enough to walk home on her own yet), she would be up at 3pm and her bedtime is 7:30pm. And she's screaming at me by 6pm and miserable. I don't want to "schedule" her but I do want an idea of whether or not this is an okay thing or whether I"m setting her up for a lifetime of catnaps or whether she's just bored and I need to stimulate her more. She really seems exhausted after 90 minutes awake. I thought I remembered my older two having a morning and afternoon nap by this age and staying up for a few hours.
That sounds very possible. I just read The 90-Minute Baby Sleep Solution by Dr. Polly Moore and she says that all kids under 1 year of age have those 90-minute periods. The book is only 10 bucks on amazon.com and was a really interesting and eye-opening read. My little one goes to bed around 9:00 p.m. and usually wakes up at 7:00 a.m. Sometimes, I can barely keep him awake for an hour until he wants to go back to sleep. I am hesitant to letting him sleep that long during the day, but he seems to need it. I have been waking him up after about 2 hours of sleep, but tomorrow, I am going to start trying to let him sleep for as long as he wants. I am still scared of doing this, thinking that he might not sleep as well at night, but I don't want to see him miserable and crying all the time, either. Any other insights, mamas?