Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you get vacation and sick time on your job?

Just curious!!

I work at a university and we get 10 hours per month vacation and 8 hours per month sick time. We are allowed to use it as we need to or want to except during year end activities (summer) we just had a new rule of not being able to take vacation from june 20-july 20 and after that it's provisional.

after 5 years of being here we get 12 hours a month and 8 hours sick time and after 10 years you get 14 hours a month and 8 hours sick time

i stay on the verge of being out of sick time and came close to running out of vacation time..however the past 2 months or so I haven't used any vacation time and I checked yesterday and have 42 hours vacation and 23.50 sick not that I can go anywhere but still. I've taken off so much time in the last year b/c of LO being sick so much, it's nice to feel a little relief

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
JDT
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Do you get vacation and sick time on your job?

I'm a new employee here. We get 3 weeks vacation and unlimited sick time.

Although I hear if you're out sick too much you get either temp disability or fired. I'm not sure what makes the difference.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
ajk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I get 4 weeks vacation and 12 personal days but I'm only part-time right now so I get 80% of each so that's 16 days vacation and 9.5 personal days.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Deanner03
"Life's tough. Get a helmet."
seller

My Mood:

I've been at my job for two years. Every year I get:
18 days of vacation () (next year it goes up to 25)
14 personal days (next year 18)
18 days of sick time.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
AtoZMomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm jealous of all of those! I'm self-employed, so if I don't work or bill for services, I don't get paid. The upside is that I can be off as much as I want and anytime I want, but I have "maternity leave" coming up--this entails saving for months and HOPING I've saved enough as I'll have nothing coming in for all those weeks. Yikes~
Old 06-27-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
aydensmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

wow and i thought my two weeks paid vaca was cool! Not near as cool as all of yours... i get two weeks vaca after two years, after five years i get three weeks. I get a day off in my birthday month, i get two sick days adn two personal days. However, if i am out of sick/personal days... they don't care if i take off if Ayden's sick. I work for a VERY small company though... and two weeks vaca is awesome for around here.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:13 AM   #7
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

It's different because I'm my own boss LOL. Well, and I'm on salary, so my paycheck stays the same regardless. But the downside is I never really get to take vacation- my phone keeps right on ringing and there are always things I need to handle.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:44 AM   #8
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I work for the University System just like you but at the System Level we get a little more vacation time because we don't get that week between Christmas and New Year's off. For us it works out to 3 weeks of vacation per year and I think 12 sick days per year. When I was working on a campus, I stayed pretty close to my limit especially after DJ was born. Now that I'm working from home, I usually have a little bit of time saved up because my boss is more flexible about letting me make up an hour here or there if I need to go to the doctor or something instead of using leave time and even if one of the boys is sick, I can get away with working with them here when I have to. Now if only I had the $$$$ to take a vacation...
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

10 Holidays, 10 vacation days, 2 floating holidays, 10 Sick days, 40 hrs (5 days) for Volunteering at non-profit - can be used to chaperon field trips. Used up all my days off on maternity....no more vacation this year.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:21 AM   #10
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

11 holiday, 10 vaca, 5 sick, 2 personal. I used up almost all of my paid time off during maternity as well. So now when I have to take the kids to the doctors I have to make sure to put in some overtime if I want to be sure and get a full week's pay.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote