Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2008, 06:38 PM   #21
_Kristine
Registered Users

Re: Do you get vacation and sick time on your job?

I've been with my company for 8.5 years. I now get 15 days of vacation (accrued at 4.62 hours per pay period) and 6 sick days (accrued at 1.87 hours per pay period). We have 8 paid holidays and one floating holiday.

All vacation and sick time keeps rolling until it's used up or you hit the cap. Which is some ridiculous number - I'd shoot myself before I got too MUCH vacation time built up!

Advertisement

_Kristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:53 PM   #22
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7s View Post
okay you ladies are mostly more blessed than me.. I don't have any benefits.. which means I get a higher hourly rate.. but NO paid time off and no maternity leave wish I lived in canada!!! okay that's just my beef I feel since I work I should get maternity leave.. anyhow.. BLAH!!
If you are a full-time employee, I thought by law they have you pay you for maternity (hourly or salary) or is that just a CA state law? Unless you are part-time or considered an independant consultant.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:26 AM   #23
_Kristine
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommimi View Post
If you are a full-time employee, I thought by law they have you pay you for maternity (hourly or salary) or is that just a CA state law? Unless you are part-time or considered an independant consultant.
That's just CA. In Michigan there is no mandatory maternity leave. Just unpaid FMLA, assuming you qualify for it.
_Kristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:54 AM   #24
Mindi
Its a Mindi thing... you wouldn't understand
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I've only been at my job since April but we get no vacation until we are there a year and it is 7 days and no sick time unless you are off of work for more than 7 days and you have to go on short term disability.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:13 AM   #25
zenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

unfortunately I do not. I am a substitute teacher so i only get money for the days I work which is far and few between and my other job as a data collector for UNC-Chapel Hill is classified as temporary even tho I am employed through the middle of 2010 so no benefits or time off there either.
Denise, wife to Mike since 6-15-2002, PTWOHM and College Student Mommy to Samuel Wyatt (8-24-04) (who has a blue belt in Shaolin Kung-Fu) and cding, co-sleeping Andrea Rachelle (10-11-06) (Our Celiac Disease, Seizure having beauty queen).
Maybe you're offended b/c you know it's the truth!
zenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:30 AM   #26
Ladycop79
Registered Users
seller

I get vacation and sick leave, as well as 16 hours of "personal" leave. But we sure don't get holidays off at the police department...Sadly, we are usually twice as busy on holidays... Luckily, as a detective who lives a block away from my office, on holidays, I can usually just listen to my radio from home and respond to felony calls if needed. We also do the "comp" time where if I work over on a call, I can get "time back" if I want instead of getting overtime. But if I go to court on my time off, I can only get paid overtime and cannot use it to get time back.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:47 AM   #27
paigemikey2003
Registered Users

I've been at my job 8yrs and get three weeks vacation, 18 days/yr sick time and one personal day. I can use the sick time pretty easily but I have to call in sick. I can't just say "my child has a doctors appt" Its kind of a given though that we all use them for our kids. The good thing about not using them for years is that when I was pg for Zara and had to go off early I had lots of sick time to use. I still have about 65 banked sick days.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:51 AM   #28
paigemikey2003
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladycop79 View Post
I get vacation and sick leave, as well as 16 hours of "personal" leave. But we sure don't get holidays off at the police department...Sadly, we are usually twice as busy on holidays... Luckily, as a detective who lives a block away from my office, on holidays, I can usually just listen to my radio from home and respond to felony calls if needed. We also do the "comp" time where if I work over on a call, I can get "time back" if I want instead of getting overtime. But if I go to court on my time off, I can only get paid overtime and cannot use it to get time back.

I work for a police department also - not an officer though and its so true that things get even busier on the holidays! I've luckily had many opportunities to fill in positions that are higher paying for mat leave or other reasons. When I do that I get the choice of taking the extra pay in money or more time off. At one point I had 100 hrs in my bank. It was a great way to get more time off when dd#1 was small.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #29
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do but it takes forever to accrue. I have a job where if I miss a shift I can switch with others or even fill open hours to make up for it. Paid holidays, time and 1/2 if you work on a holiday as well as your birthday (1 month before or after) off paid. I always work holidays for that extra $.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend

Last edited by KaleidoscopeEyes; 06-30-2008 at 09:28 PM.
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #30
wildeyes
Tummy Kisses Diapers
seller

My Mood:

one week till you have 5 years with the company, 32 hours personal, 8 hours b-day. we also have the option to buy vacation time. i bought 80 hours last year and this year. they take a portion of my check and it goes towards that.
fter 5 years you get another week, and it goes up slowly after that.

part time gets 24 hrs personal, 4 hours b-day, and i think a week vacay... not sure, as i am full time. (or was till this week)

i work in a non-union grocery store.
Officially ERF!!!
wildeyes is offline   Reply With Quote