Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #31
autumn_fading
Blackbird Baby Designs
seller

Re: Do you get vacation and sick time on your job?

I get 120 hours vacation (3 weeks), 40 hours sick time (1 week), and whatever holidays the firm decides to give us.

Advertisement

Blackbird Baby Designs: Handdyed yarns now stocked!

autumn_fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #32
Lisa_m
Registered Users
seller

I get 2 personal days and 10 sick days per year. No vacation, but I only work 181 days a year, so I sortof get a lot of a vacation, I just can't take it whenever I want.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:16 AM   #33
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy6703 View Post
I know. I look forward to the week at christmas however I haven't been anywhere since 2002. Other wise I might go a 'few' places in GA to see friends or family. Can't afford a 'vacation' either!! lol

that week counts as 'holiday'. sick days would = 12 too for us.

how do your holidays work (i'm sure they'd be same prolly since the papers we get are coming from BOR - but since december thing might be different i wasn't sure)?

ours is NY day, MLK day, Memorial day, IND day (july 4th), Labor Day, Thanksgiving (thursday/friday) and December holidays (5 days at christmas), totaling 12 holidays.

I've gotten down to less than 15 hours vacation before (Ironic cuz i haven't gone anywhere but had to take off vacation time to be with landon b/c I didn't have sick time left) Thankfully it's building back up. My boss also lets me 'make up' time here and there. I work till 5:30 some days and every now and then I'll put a saturday for either half a day or a whole day (if i do a whole day mom or someone will watch landon. if it's a half day i'll bring him to the office with me). But getting the extra 4 hours here or 8 hours there I can use 3 of it for a dr appointment without having to technically report it on my sick time. I couldn't ask for anything more in regards to him being flexible with family issues. ;-)

my '5 year' increase would have been in affect this year and I'd be getting 12 hours a month vacation, but when we took that short 6 month break to go to jacksonville, that interrupted my servcie with TRS (because I elected to get the funds back we needed them to live on for a while) so even though i came back in six months, the previous 5 years I put in went down the drain and I'm having to start all over. kind of sucks but oh well, we don't have the funds for sure now to buy that time back.
We get the same holidays y'all do except for that week between Christmas and New Years. We get Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and New Year's Day. We used to get extra vacation time to make up for those days but now they're trying to get us on the same schedule as the institutions. They said last year that they were going to take away our extra vacation days and give us the holidays in December but every one at the System Office pitched a fit because our responsibilities are different than the institutions...we can't just shut down during that time. In fact, for my group, that week at the end of December is usually kind of busy because we're trying to finalize things and get ready for classes to start in January. "They" decided to compromise. They took away our extra vacation days but gave us "unscheduled holidays" that we can take anytime during the year instead of having to take that whole week in December. It works out the same for us, they just changed the way it looks on paper.

Oh and since we're salary, we're not supposed to get comp time but off the record we do it. If we have to go to a conference or something that requires us to work on the weekend or if something comes up and we wind up working at night, we usually just arrange with our immediate supervisor to "make up for it".
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:47 AM   #34
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster2000 View Post
We get the same holidays y'all do except for that week between Christmas and New Years. We get Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and New Year's Day. We used to get extra vacation time to make up for those days but now they're trying to get us on the same schedule as the institutions. They said last year that they were going to take away our extra vacation days and give us the holidays in December but every one at the System Office pitched a fit because our responsibilities are different than the institutions...we can't just shut down during that time. In fact, for my group, that week at the end of December is usually kind of busy because we're trying to finalize things and get ready for classes to start in January. "They" decided to compromise. They took away our extra vacation days but gave us "unscheduled holidays" that we can take anytime during the year instead of having to take that whole week in December. It works out the same for us, they just changed the way it looks on paper.

Oh and since we're salary, we're not supposed to get comp time but off the record we do it. If we have to go to a conference or something that requires us to work on the weekend or if something comes up and we wind up working at night, we usually just arrange with our immediate supervisor to "make up for it".
Oh I see. Our salaried people are like that too with comp time. I'm hourly and can get it and put it on my time sheet but they usually make a fuss over it so usually if I do work on a saturday occasionally in the year end time my supervisor just lets me use that for dr appointments and other things so I don't have to competely deplete my time.

our busiest time is in the summer...even though some of the students are gone..our job itself has nothing to do with the students being there or not, it's fiscal activities for the university
Old 07-03-2008, 07:48 AM   #35
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmama View Post
I've been at my job since 2000 and I get 4 weeks of vacation a year and 12 days of sick leave. I can only carry one week of vacation a year over on my anniversary date but can accumulate sick time year after year. I rarely use my sick time and really have only used it for when Alyssa was sick. I saved up enough to have 4 weeks of sick leave that I used for my maternity leave, along with my 4 weeks of vacation. So I had a partially paid leave.
that's a lot of vacation!!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:03 AM   #36
honeybunmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup! 4 weeks vacation; I forget how many sick days, something like 10 or 12, I think; and 3 or 4 personal days.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #37
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For the first time in 5 years, I get PTO (vacation/sick/personal time combo) at work. Woohoo! I've racked up a whopping 22 hours so far. It's nice to know it's there, even if I'm not using it or anything. I think I get 19 days a year (yeah, weird, huh?) However, I work 12 hr shifts, so it works out differently. Working 12 hours/3 days a week, I usually can get away with only taking a day or two at a time for a weeklong stretch.

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #38
Momontherun
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

4 weeks vacation, 1 week personal time, unlimited sick time (STD kicks in after 1 week of continuous sick time).
Momontherun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:21 AM   #39
medea
Registered Users

My Mood:

I got 10 days the first year I worked there (7 years ago) and it goes up year by year. This year I have 20 days, that's the max. This is for paid leave, it doesn't matter if it's sick leave or not.
medea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #40
Javamama
HAHA! Wait. What?
seller

My Mood:

we do not get vacation and we earn 10 days a year for sick leave.

Javamama is offline   Reply With Quote