Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2006, 02:05 PM   #11
aschrimp
Registered Users

Re: Labial Adhesions

There are skin conditions that can cause labial adhesions throughout a woman's life, age and estrogen notwithstanding. And labial adhesions can come and go even without treatment.
I know because I have a condition that causes them. For a good portion of my life I've had no labia minora - it was completely adhered to the labia majora. With treatment with estrogen, it would un-adhere for a while, but always went back, and I don't like using hormones all the time. After pregnancy and while nursing (must be due to extra estrogen) it has actually un-adhered all on it's own.
There are treatments other than hormones and surgery - btw. You can ask your dr about protopic cream. I chose to just stop with the drugs because the lack of labia minora really didn't do any harm for me...but would obviously feel differently if the adhesions were getting in the way of peeing or sex...
BTW - I was cloth diapered as a baby.

Advertisement

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:05 PM   #12
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, DD's pee would squirt like a little boy because her's was so far closed. Actually, we were at the dr because she was having fevers and they went to "bag" her to catch pee (I refused to let them cath,) but when they went to wipe her to clean her up, they saw she was fused almost completely.

I just hope she doesn't have problems with this all her life. Since it opened, it has stayed open nicely other than 1 time when we used disposables for a week.

They say they can get it from a lot of things like the chemicals in disposables, diaper rashes, being too "squished" in there when the skin is still raw and sensitive... They suspected DD has had hers since birth though (because she peed funny right off the bat, squirted straight in the air...I thought it was because she was swollen from birth yet) and having one since birth can indicate further problems they want to probe at...I'm still undecided about what to do and I'm going to talk to her ped about it in a few weeks.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #13
Bluemoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sorry to highjack but what is this? I have never heard of it before.
Barbara
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #14
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our new ped just noticed it on DD yesterday (very minor)--I'm SO mad our last ped didn't notice it at all...
Anyway, she, too said it was from a lack of estrogen keeping the area from being nicely lubricated. She sent us to Whole Foods to get calendula ointment (NOT cream or gel) and said it comes from a dandelion plant and actually has some plant-based estrogens in it, so it should help to topically moisten everything up, as well as jump-starting a bit of mucous production. We're supposed to put a tad on at ea. diaper change.
I feel good about using this natural item, so for those of you who are nervous about Rx and estrogen creams, maybe try this first? (My ped is a holistic dr. w/ degrees in both Eastern and Western meds, so she always suggests the natural cure first.)
DD has be CDd since she was 2m, since you asked. I guess I could see how the super-absorbancy of sposies could dry up that area even more, but really, the labia cover all those internal areas, so I don't know that there'd be a difference.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #15
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemoon View Post
sorry to highjack but what is this? I have never heard of it before.
Barbara
It's when the inner lips of the labia fuse together.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote