Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2008, 04:56 AM   #1
mommymilk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyones babe have bleeding after the umbilical stump fell off?

DD stump fell off 3 days ago, and yesterday it started bleeding. Needless to say I FREAKED out, hysterical crying (gotta love panic plus hormones!) ready to call the ambulance to take us to the hospital. In turn I totally upset my DH and DS1 who is old enough to understand when something is totally wrong and he thought his sister was going to die. Slight over reaction on my part, but to see my 9 day old bleeding out of her belly button was just a bit too much for me to take.

I call the docs, get it cleaned up, looks like it has stopped bleeding, nurse tells me to bring her in tomorrow since it isn't constantly bleeding, I agree. An hour later, more blood. Just a little, but more. So I call the doc again, this time talking to the actual doctor, who tells me to put neosporin on it, that there is just a small part that still needs to close, but it isn't a big deal. YIKES! I am freaking out that her belly button will just split and bam, she will bleed out (don't worry ladies, the medication is on board for me! ).

Anyone else deal with a bleeding belly button? Please tell me yes, so that I can calm myself down! If so, when did it stop?!

Advertisement

mommymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyones babe have bleeding after the umbilical stump fell off?

James' kept bleeding off and on for a couple of weeks after the stump fell off. When I took him for a well baby checkup I mentioned it to the doc and she cauterized it. No problems since then.
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:

My last dd had the same thing. Her stump fell out at 6days old (way to soon) so she had some bleeding as well. Just make sure you keep it CLEAN there. Because it is still open. If she gets a bad oder or green/yellowish gooy stuff then I'd be worried. A little blodd wont really hurt though, it's better to bleed then not, bleeding can help wash out foren objects (dirt, dust, etc..).

GL And

ETA: I just noticed, you had your lil baby girl on my mothers birthday!! Shes bound to be mischievious.

Last edited by Nikkis_Little_Ladies; 06-27-2008 at 06:01 AM.
Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
proudmommaof4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Myds#1 and ds#2 bled a bit as theirs just came off a bit too early. Just keep it clean and watch it for infection.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #5
MestherMa
Registered Users

My baby bled a bit after the stump fell off as well. Not a ton, but a little ooze. I really think it's ok for that to be the case.

IHA: Wool and bamboo fitteds, check them out here
MestherMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:11 AM   #6
Sabey-baby
Registered Users
seller

My second had bleeding and oozing for a long time. The ped put..crap..that silver stuff...why can't I think of what it's called? Anyway, he put that on it, but it didn't solve the issue. We ended up having to go in for a pre-op appointment at the children's hospital b/c they were afraid they were going to have to opperate to correct things. However the surgeon we met with just put more silver stuff on it and told us to keep watching it. That ended up finally doing the trick, but I was very worried for a while.
1/10/03, 2/2/06, 7/17/08, #12/19/11
I sew.
Sabey-baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My little foster babe last Spring had a bleeding belly button, the cord fell off at three days, and it spotted blood on her undershirts for a couple of weeks. It finally stopped about three days after the ped said, if it didn't he'd cauterize it
Old 06-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #8
MotherGoose518
Registered Users

My youngest DS's cord did this. Freaked. Me. Out. The doctors told me to give it 24 hours and if it didn't stop I was to bring him in so they could cauterize it with nitroglycerin. Fortunately it stopped on it's own that same day.
MTHFR + possible Ehler's Danlos Syndrome
Lovenox, Folic Acid Therapy, Aspirin Therapy
MotherGoose518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
MommaBunny
10% of Profits Donated to Wildlife
seller

My Mood:

A bit of bleeding is normal. Relax.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #10
borabora511
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS's cord fell off after 3 days- and he was getting crusty blood on his diapers and gowns... I took him to the Ped- and he cauterized it with silver nitrate... Apparently it's very normal. (but, I'm guessing with all the other reply's you already figured that out ... )