View Poll Results: Would you give your 20 month old Benadryl to sleep on a plane ride?
Yes, for the comfort and safety of everyone, including my toddler. 27 16.07%
No. Here's how I would keep my child happy on the plane ride 105 62.50%
I would speak to my pediatrician first and then make a decision. 23 13.69%
The infamous 'other' option 13 7.74%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:52 AM   #1
Mama2Jackson
Registered Users

My Mood:
Benadryl for a plane ride?

At the end of July I am going on a 2 hour plane trip with my 20 month old son. On the way up, my Daddy and my sister will be flying with us but on the way back it will be just me and my son. My Mom keeps telling me that for the safety and comfort of all involved, including my son, that I should give him some Benadryl so that he will sleep on the flight. He has had the medicine before, for medical reasons, so we know that he will not have the opposite reaction to it and be bouncing off the walls hyper. I'm not really sure of what to do. My heart is telling me to not give him the medicine, but if he isn't happy on the flight it will be a 2 hour temper tantrum, plus all the extra time sitting in the plane before take off and after landing. I don't want my son to be miserable because he can't run around and be free, but I don't want to unnecessarily medicate him either. What would or have you done in this situation? How would/have you kept your child engaged and happy on a plane ride?

Advertisement

Mama to Jackson Kal-El (10/21/06). Expecting baby boy #2, Samuel, March 2011. Loving fiance' to Kevin, together since 8/4/05.

Last edited by Mama2Jackson; 06-27-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Mama2Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #2
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

Re: Benadryl for a plane ride?

Nope. I would never give medication for something other than its intended purpose.

My son has flown 4 or 5 times since he was 8 months old and the shortest flight so far has been 3.5-4 hours. The best way I kept him entertained was with toys and activities that were brand new. He was so excited about new toys and books that he wanted to spend the whole time examining them. I also put him inside next to the window so when it was okay to take seat belts off he could stand up on his seat and look out the window without bothering anyone else. New snacks or treats he doesn't get often were another big hit. Mostly though, he just sleeps. Even if he naps on the drive to the airport (it's about 3 hours to drive there) he still naps on the plane.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
kmwillford
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You know mama, I'd go with your heart. You might be surprised. Our 24 month old wasn't still breastfeeding, but he did take a pacifier and chew gum, and he just went to sleep. But if your DS is still bfing, I'd just feed him during take off and landing--for his ears, bring snacks, books, etc. I got some new toys, books, stickers that my kids had never seen before. You might get lucky. He might just sleep.

ISO: gift cards, nintendo DS + games for a 7 yr old boy
kmwillford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

That would be a big fat NO!

I just flew with my almost 3 year old and we've flown when she was 15 months old. It was no big deal!
Old 06-27-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmwillford View Post
You know mama, I'd go with your heart. You might be surprised. Our 24 month old wasn't still breastfeeding, but he did take a pacifier and chew gum, and he just went to sleep. But if your DS is still bfing, I'd just feed him during take off and landing--for his ears, bring snacks, books, etc. I got some new toys, books, stickers that my kids had never seen before. You might get lucky. He might just sleep.
This is what I did. Brought lots of snacks, color books, books, her fave. little toys, some new little toys. And, guess what on our last flight she slept the entire 2 hours!
Old 06-27-2008, 08:09 AM   #6
mamatutugirls
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphibology29 View Post
Nope. I would never give medication for something other than its intended purpose.

My son has flown 4 or 5 times since he was 8 months old and the shortest flight so far has been 3.5-4 hours. The best way I kept him entertained was with toys and activities that were brand new. He was so excited about new toys and books that he wanted to spend the whole time examining them. I also put him inside next to the window so when it was okay to take seat belts off he could stand up on his seat and look out the window without bothering anyone else. New snacks or treats he doesn't get often were another big hit. Mostly though, he just sleeps. Even if he naps on the drive to the airport (it's about 3 hours to drive there) he still naps on the plane.

absolutely to all of that!

Pack a bag of snacks and new books/toys and don't take them out or let him play with them until you are on the airplane. He will probably be so intrigued with all of the new things, it won't even be a problem.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
Adorabumz
Registered Users
Formerly: Ewemama
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't medicate unnecessarily. I know what it is to have a VERY actice toddler (Just about everone who ever met DS1 from the time he was 5 months to 2 years had one word to describe him - BUSY). Car rides were a nightmare for a long time, and we never dreamed of taking him on a plane.

What we did during car rides was make sure we had a BIG bag of toys - some new, some old favorites. Books were a staple for things like doctor's office visits. If he's past the play-dough eating stage you could bring some along - that will entertain for a little while. Jet Blue has sattelite TV in each chair, so if you fly with them you can let him watch tv a little.

Hugs to you mama! And stick with your gut.

Join | Fan | Follow
Adorabumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:13 AM   #8
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Ummm....

Did you know that Benadryl has an equal chance of ramping your kid up, as calming him down?

I've seen the "benadryl cure" go horribly wrong! Fortunately for me, it was someone else's child, but it does make my son super hyper when he takes it!

I asked my Ped about it and he laughed (he has 4 kids) and said that 3 of his 4 got hyper from Benadryl!
Old 06-27-2008, 08:14 AM   #9
tatumsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No Benadryl! I have heard that it can have adverse effects on some children. So it may just make your LO anxious rather than inducing sleep.

We have traveled with DD over 30 flights since she was 2months old. Nursing usually puts her right to sleep. Then I just flop her into a sling and try to catch some zzz's myself. That will ususaly last a hour or so.

Snacks and books work for the rest of the time.

Good luck, mama!
Jennifer: BFing, CDing, BWing, CSing SAHM, Expecting #2 in Jan 09!
tatumsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
proudmommaof4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorabumz View Post
I wouldn't medicate unnecessarily. I know what it is to have a VERY actice toddler (Just about everone who ever met DS1 from the time he was 5 months to 2 years had one word to describe him - BUSY). Car rides were a nightmare for a long time, and we never dreamed of taking him on a plane.

What we did during car rides was make sure we had a BIG bag of toys - some new, some old favorites. Books were a staple for things like doctor's office visits. If he's past the play-dough eating stage you could bring some along - that will entertain for a little while. Jet Blue has sattelite TV in each chair, so if you fly with them you can let him watch tv a little.

Hugs to you mama! And stick with your gut.

I totally agree. My DS#1 hated car rides and I would never think to try to fly with him but I did the same as pp with the car rides and it does work for the most part. I would go with your gut, maybe take some with you just in case but not use it unless you really needed to.