View Poll Results: Would you give your 20 month old Benadryl to sleep on a plane ride?
Yes, for the comfort and safety of everyone, including my toddler. 27 16.07%
No. Here's how I would keep my child happy on the plane ride 105 62.50%
I would speak to my pediatrician first and then make a decision. 23 13.69%
The infamous 'other' option 13 7.74%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:39 AM   #21
CMommyof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Benadryl for a plane ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Jackson View Post
Thanks for all the honest opinions and suggestions for keeping him occupied and happy

We did book our flight for when he usually takes a nap, so hopefully that will help. Maybe I should get him out of bed early to up the chances of him napping on the flight. I plan on taking his car seat all the way to the gate with me in hopes that they'll be 2 extra seats next to each other and he can sit in his car seat the whole time. I agree with my bestest buddy Crystal up there , I think it'll make a big difference if he isn't being held and restrained by me the entire flight.

I will be getting some new toys and sticker books, and I'll nurse him during take-off. He usually nurses first thing in the morning when he gets up and before bed but maybe I'l skip his nursing in the morning and wait until our afternoon flight to nurse him so I know I'll have some milkies in there, lol.

waking him early may back fire as well since he could get over tired, but you know him better then me so that's your call. I know it would make it more difficult for my girls.

Advertisement

excuse my posts if they seem short or have typos
CMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #22
AmyCivic80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, mama, I would go with your gut. Since you've already given him Benadryl in the past and you know how he will react to it, it wouldn't be like you were giving it a trial run on the plane.

You know your son better than anyone else. If you feel that the flight would be miserable for you, him, and everyone else without Benadryl, then go ahead and give him some. Giving him a one-time dose of Benadryl to make him sleepy is not going to hurt him. However, if you want to give it to him just because of what others are saying, I would hold off.

Good luck in your decision.
Amy, wife to Greg and proud mommy to Cailin Avery (5/6/07), Kylie Elise (12/20/08), and baby #3 (due 10/11/11).
AmyCivic80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #23
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally wouldn't do this though I can see the draw to it. I don't judge others who do.

But, you might be surprised with your LO. My DD is difficult about everything in life and I thought a plane ride would be total disaster. But, she totally surprised me by being a total dream and didn't even bat an eyelash when we took off or landed.

ETA: I forgot to add that ours was a 4.5 hour flight with a lot of waiting around, etc. I just brought lots of snacks and her favorite toys (that I hid for a while before we went so they were a novelty again). I think you'll be fine for a 2 hour flight but that's just my

Last edited by jaceraden; 06-27-2008 at 08:46 AM.
jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #24
willismom2
Registered Users
seller

i am outraged that people actually do this! it should be a crime to medicate your child unnecessarily! if he makes a little fuss the people on the plane can deal with it.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #25
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

That 2 hours will be over before you know it!
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #26
babe&baba
Registered Users

My Mood:

No. I would not drug my child to appease other people on the plane. I would nurse my child and offer diversions. I would also schedule a flight that was during a normal nap time.
babe&baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #27
aprileshowers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm... Lots of people take benadryl on plane rides to combat motion sickness. I really dont see a problem with it. i would just ask my pedi and see what he says. Benedryl works just the same as dramamine for motion sickness. SO its pretty common even among adults to take it for flights.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:14 AM   #28
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I see you are extended nursing. Breastfeeding is the best piece of advice I can give to a mom flying with a toddler, honestly! It has saved me the few times I flew with a toddler. I would NOT medicate him unnecessarily.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:14 AM   #29
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

No, I wouldn't ever give any medication unless it was necessary. Plus, Benadryl causes some kids to be MORE active or hyper. You'd hate for that to happen on the plane.

Just get a big bag full of new toys and lots of snacks. Good Luck!
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:17 AM   #30
Sabey-baby
Registered Users
seller

I've flown with my boys at various ages, with and without help, and never felt the need to drug them. Bring along a bag with some cheap toys. Wrap each of them individually. As he gets antsy or bored with one, get another out. He'll be excited to unwrap the gifts, and then be occupied playing with them. Good luck
1/10/03, 2/2/06, 7/17/08, #12/19/11
I sew.
Sabey-baby is offline   Reply With Quote