View Poll Results: Would you give your 20 month old Benadryl to sleep on a plane ride?
Yes, for the comfort and safety of everyone, including my toddler. 27 16.07%
No. Here's how I would keep my child happy on the plane ride 105 62.50%
I would speak to my pediatrician first and then make a decision. 23 13.69%
The infamous 'other' option 13 7.74%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #71
skyericsson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Benadryl for a plane ride?

Nope would never give benadryl for non medical reasons.... Too risky

DD was on a plane at 7 weeks old and so was DS they both have traveled many times on the plane at various ages including 1yrs 1.5yrs 22mths DD at 3 and 4.5 and DS at 6mths, and 9mths etc... I would always nurse DD. And now I always nurse DS for landing and take off and for DD we always have a sippy cup for her (that action clears the ears). DD always has her Ipod and we would always download new videos she had not seen and bring snacks etc.... But for DD and DS traveling is no issue. If you don't have an Ipod you could just bring a laptop computer and a DVD he has not seen. Also we always have a paid seat for both of them. It gives the LO a chance to stand up and stretch and at least have some movement at our seats in our row.

If your worried you could always wake him earlier (a bit of sleep deprivation), or do a night flight etc...may work and it's safer vs giving unneeded meds
have a fun 2hrs is really short.

Advertisement

cosleeping, conservative yet extra crispycrunchy wife to my loving DH and sahm of our gorgeous princess sophia9/03 and cutie pie prince sven 8/07 and our beautiful sweet rainbow preemie born at 30 weeks Sång (pronounced "song")
skyericsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #72
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

I voted no, Benedryl can make him tired and cranky, but he still might not sleep, he might be worse than he would have been :lol:
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #73
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

No way. I'm taking my 14 month old on an airplaine in July. It never crossed my mind to "drug him" before hand. He needs to learn how to behave in an appropriate matter when out in public without being drugged. It's part of life. They may not have the best time of their life on an airplane, but they need to learn self control and how to behave as early as possible. It's better to tach them this now rather than...say 5 years old.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #74
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

No, and certainly not for a 2-hour ride. I haven't read all the responses, but the first thing that pops into my mind, is that if it makes him too sleepy for too long, then he'll be hyper at night and not ready to go to sleep at bedtime. I do not screw with the baby's schedules that way -- makes life difficult for several days when they get thrown off.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote