Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
MD1979
Registered Users
seller

Why Does Shipping in Canada Suck?

Today I paid $11 to send a package to Ontario from PEI. It seems to me that I was able to send a package that was the same size and weight to California for a little over $5 last month. What gives?

Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
toasty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why Does Shipping in Canada Suck?

i think it all comes down to the fact that Canada is a big big country, with a very small population! So it ends up costing more. The US has 10 times the people so the cost is split many more ways, which equals a smaller share to pay.

Its really unfortunate. When i lived in Canada i paid usually $5 to ship a diaper to the US, now that i live in the US i pay $1 to ship a diaper to Canada. It really cuts into your profits up there .
Old 06-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
abirdd
Registered Users
seller

I've been finding it much more cost effective to send dipes or clothing in padded envelopes with "oversized" shipping rates, than to send in a box lately. Not to mention the post office suggested I get a VentureOne account to mildly reduce shipping costs. And it's only going to get worse, now that CP instituted a gas (or something like that) fee for parcels. I think it's only $0.65 right now, but I'm sure it will keep going up, up, up...
Old 06-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

for covers I can usually squeeze them into an oversize envelope (poly padded), but for multiple covers and diapers the cheapest way seems to be the express post envelopes. whatever you can jam in there goes for the same flat rate. put it this way: I sent 4 BG's with inserts in the same province for $10 with delivery confirmation and a tracking # with the express post, and I sent 2 bummis wraps and 2 HH's in a teeny tiny little parcel for $8 with no DC or tracking with regular parcel :P
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
MD1979
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummy mommy View Post
for covers I can usually squeeze them into an oversize envelope (poly padded), but for multiple covers and diapers the cheapest way seems to be the express post envelopes. whatever you can jam in there goes for the same flat rate. put it this way: I sent 4 BG's with inserts in the same province for $10 with delivery confirmation and a tracking # with the express post, and I sent 2 bummis wraps and 2 HH's in a teeny tiny little parcel for $8 with no DC or tracking with regular parcel :P
Good to know!
Old 06-27-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
CDNMommyofmany
Registered Users
Formerly: CDN Mama of 4_08
seller
seller

I've had the same problems...even within Canada it's expensive. I live in Ontario (near Barrie), and it was cheaper for me to send a parcel to Alberta than to Hamilton and they were the same weight! That made no sense to me!
Proud Stay-at-home-mama to 6 (including 4 preemies 29-35 weeks); who enjoys reading, homeschooling/unschooling and trying to make everyday as stress-free as possible for my 2 precious sons with Autism
CDNMommyofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
nocturnalmama
Registered Users
Formerly: mom2chloesophie

if you get a flat rate express envelope - it will fit a diaper and its only $8. I find that is the best way to ship just one diaper - and the bonus is that it travels to its destination quickly... you also get a slight discount on express envelopes using Venture One card - you can buy them in three packs I believe.
nocturnalmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:12 AM   #8
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah

Make everything under 2cm thick! You can send to the US as small package and within Canada as the oversized letter mail (I think that's what it is called...), has to fit through the 2cm slot!
Old 06-29-2008, 09:28 AM   #9
EcoTykesMama
Registered Users

We have less population, true. But Ithink it's also down to how the post offices are run. Ours is a Crown Corp and I don't know if it gets less money from our government as the USPS gets from theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan95 View Post
I've had the same problems...even within Canada it's expensive. I live in Ontario (near Barrie), and it was cheaper for me to send a parcel to Alberta than to Hamilton and they were the same weight! That made no sense to me!
That's just wrong. You could've taken a weekend trip, had fun and dropped the items off to boot!
EcoTykesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #10
staceily
Registered Users

My Mood:

I find it super expensive to ship from pei.
staceily is offline   Reply With Quote