Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
MommyScott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Take dd to the dentist or not?

My cute little lady (3 years old) was spinning all by her lonesome in the middle of the living room while DH and I were in the bathroom brushing the two older kiddos teeth for bedtime.... she lost her balance and fell hitting her mouth on the side table next to our couch. Her lip was bleeding tiny bit, and the gums directly over one tooth was bleeding just tiny bit as well which stopped quickly.... my concern is her front tooth (one of the big ones in the middle) seems further back than it was before. She doesn't say she's in pain, I've squeezed and wiggled the tooth and it's not loose and she doesn't react as if she's in pain. Do I need to see a dentist? If so should I do it tomorrow or could it wait till Monday? Thanks ladies if you've got any advice!

Advertisement

God hasn't called me to be successful. He's called me to be faithful. - Mother Teresa
MommyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
iafrmgrl77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Take dd to the dentist or not?

I always hesitate to offer advice, but I will tell you a bit about my experience...DS hit his tooth on the playground about two years ago now. Took him to the ER (it was after office hours). It was one of his top front teeth, bleeding a LOT and very loose. They looked at it, told me it would be fine and sent me on my way!

Six months later, the tooth abscessed. We got the abscess to go away with a goldenseal paste and saw a dentist. They wanted to take the tooth, but were going to put him completely under and wouldn't let me stay with him--talk about freaking a kid out! Another dentist wanted to do a procedure that is basically like a root canal--go in, hollow out the tooth and keep it in place to save the spacing.

After doing some research, I discovered that both options can result in even greater infection and that saving spacing for a front tooth is really not a concern (Would be a concern with molars, etc.) We have opted to watch the tooth--now gray, and use silver concentrate drops to keep any infection at bay. My CNHP says the tooth will come out when it is ready.

Lesson learned (for me, anyway): Always do your own research and get several opinions!! If I were in your situation, I would wait and watch, but you have to make that decision.

Hope that helps.

I also teach other mamas how to create a natural medicine cabinet using Young Living Essential Oils: http://www.How-I-EO.com
iafrmgrl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
MommyScott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mama that's just what I'm doing, researching and seeking advice!

God hasn't called me to be successful. He's called me to be faithful. - Mother Teresa
Old 06-27-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
jmbisignano
Registered Users
seller

I think I'd probably wait til Monday and take her. If she's not in pain at all, I don't think it's necessary to go over the weekend. I also say follow your gut - if you feel like it's something you should have checked out sooner, go! If you feel like it's not a big deal, wait. Not to sound nuts, but use your mommy intuition!

ISO: BG Elementals or PAYPAL IHA: BBOS
jmbisignano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm, well first I would say follow your instincts, but since it doesn't seem loose and she isn't in pain, then I would probably see a dentist, but wait until Monday to call.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
MommyScott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my gut instincts is just to not worry about it and keep an eye on it, it's just a baby tooth

do you think my gut instinct is ok??

Old 06-27-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
jmbisignano
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyScott View Post
my gut instincts is just to not worry about it and keep an eye on it, it's just a baby tooth

do you think my gut instinct is ok??
I think so! You're obviously aware of it and will take her if you see cause for alarm.

And didn't you mention that you were doing teeth brushing with your older ones when this happened? Oh, the irony

ISO: BG Elementals or PAYPAL IHA: BBOS
jmbisignano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
wimama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son just did the same thing about a month ago. He has fallen and hit his front teeth numerous times. When he as little he would cut his lip with his teeth. Now that he is bigger and running around he has hit his teeth so hard to make the gums bleed. He has done this 3 times.

The last time a month ago, he fell so hard he loosened had one of his front teeth move. It wasn't loose but noticeable displaced back from where it was before. And he complained of it hurting him. My ds never complains of pain (after the initial injury).

We took him to a pediatric dentist. I am glad I waited and took him to a pediatric dentist. He took an xray to see if he fractured the tooth. My ds did not fracture his tooth. But if he had the tooth would have been removed. But the dentist said if the tooth moved the bone around the tooth fractured and to keep him from eating anything hard that he had to bite into. Like bagels, apples, etc.

Since then his tooth has moved back to where it was before, but is now turning gray. My boy's perfect little smile is not perfect anymore.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
MommyScott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbisignano View Post

And didn't you mention that you were doing teeth brushing with your older ones when this happened? Oh, the irony
that was exactly my thoughts!!!

Old 06-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
MommyScott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm starting to see some mild "bruising" is what it looks like, in the gums further above the gumline.....