Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sickle Cell and Mixed Children??

One of the tests my Dr did, before I switched to a midwife, was a sickle cell test. I guess they wanted to know if I was a carrier? I've never been tested for it before, and don't even know if it's possible for my children to be affected by it. Anyone know?

Advertisement

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
MamaEli
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Sickle Cell and Mixed Children??

I believe that in order for the sickle cell trait to manifest itself, it needs to come from both sides. Since you can be about 99.99999% sure that your DH doesn't carry, I think your kids would be fine.
I know for us, I declined pretty much all testing....one, because I just don't think it plays much into any decisions we make, but also, since we come from such very different gene pools (DH is from Africa) we figure anything like that is not going to be an issue.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaEli View Post
I believe that in order for the sickle cell trait to manifest itself, it needs to come from both sides. Since you can be about 99.99999% sure that your DH doesn't carry, I think your kids would be fine.
I know for us, I declined pretty much all testing....one, because I just don't think it plays much into any decisions we make, but also, since we come from such very different gene pools (DH is from Africa) we figure anything like that is not going to be an issue.
ugh, I had a feeling it had to come from both sides. So, it's not possible for my kids to be carriers and doesn't matter what my status is anyway? What a waste of a test. My insurance company asked my doctors office for a letter stating medical necessity of the tests and how the outcomes affect treatment. Now I'm hoping they don't reject the claim.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
*Eva*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is possible for you child to become a carrier if one person has it, but it takes both of the parents having it for the child to actually have the disease. My nephew is a carrier of sickle cell and only one of his parents is a carrier.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:58 AM   #5
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, from what I recall in biology, both parents have to have sickle cell or carry it in order to pass it on to the child. If you are a mixed couple, I'd say you'd be okay

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote