Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DH is FINALLY on board with non-vaxing.

When DD was 4months she got her last round of shots and then I said no more. She had a horrible reaction and after the reasearch that I did, I said never again and I have stood by that.
DH wasnt fully on board with me but he went along with it as long as I agreed that when she turned 1 that we would talk about selective vaxing, so I did. When she turned 1 we never talked about it and never got her vaxed.

She is now almost 16mo and still hasnt had anymore since 4mo, although we are talking about getting her Hep A simply because MIL has Hep A and we are going to visit them in Sept and Im not sure that I want to risk it.

Anyways... Yesterday DH cut his thumb open on a piece of his plane that he works on. They sent him to urgent care here on base and they cleaned it up and they decided that he needed to go over to the Immunization clinic to get a Tetanus shot. Well this stupid clinic didnt have Tet on hand so they gave him half mil of the DTaP. He felt fine yesterday after getting it but today he cant move his arm, he is freakin red as a lobster, has fever, said his head felt like someone hit him with a brick, his eyes are glazed over and really weird looking, has little appetite (this man can put the food away too), very sluggish.

He asked me if the DTaP is one of the vaxes that DD got and I told him yes and he about came unglued. He flipped out, he could believe that they would give a baby that. He said that she will NEVER get anything again.
He said "No wonder babies scream when they get shots".

Its pretty bad when the DTaP affects an adult like that, imagine how a baby feels after getting it !

I feel sorry for DH, and I feel sad that it took him getting vaxed to realize WHY I dont vax DD anymore.

Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:
Re: DH is FINALLY on board with non-vaxing.

Poor hubby, yuck!
Old 06-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The poor guy is absolutely miserable. Hes lounging on the couch with the dog right now moaning in pain !
Old 06-28-2008, 03:02 AM   #4
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Poor guy.

But hey, at least something good came of it

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:11 AM   #5
Kanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yay, glad dh is on board!!

A couple things to get him thinking more about vaxes and dr.'s -

Treatment for tetanus is completely unnecessary in this case. Oxygen kills tetanus. Red blood means there is oxygen. Tetanus is virtually unheard of in a healthy person with good circulation. Also, giving a tetanus vaccine after the fact is like going to urgent care for a flu shot after you get the flu. If tetanus is really a concern he should have been given TiG (tetnaus immune globulin).

DTaP is only approved for kids 7 and under. Approved for adults is TT (tetanus toxoid), Td (tetanus diptheria), and Tdap (tetanus, diptheria, acellular pertussis).

Contracting tetanus does not provide any immunity, according to medical professionals. Ok, so if that's the case, how in the world does a man made product do that?

[COLOR="Red"]ISO: Girly Alva or Sunbaby OS for a mama on a budget.
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:27 AM   #6
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
Yay, glad dh is on board!!

A couple things to get him thinking more about vaxes and dr.'s -

Treatment for tetanus is completely unnecessary in this case. Oxygen kills tetanus. Red blood means there is oxygen. Tetanus is virtually unheard of in a healthy person with good circulation. Also, giving a tetanus vaccine after the fact is like going to urgent care for a flu shot after you get the flu. If tetanus is really a concern he should have been given TiG (tetnaus immune globulin).

DTaP is only approved for kids 7 and under. Approved for adults is TT (tetanus toxoid), Td (tetanus diptheria), and Tdap (tetanus, diptheria, acellular pertussis).

Contracting tetanus does not provide any immunity, according to medical professionals. Ok, so if that's the case, how in the world does a man made product do that?

That is what I thought as well. I couldnt believe that they gave him the DTaP ! When he told me that, my jaw dropped.

I dont know why they gave it to him in the first place either. He active duty and he is required to get certain shots at certain times and he had his last Tetanus in 2002, Immunizations told him he wasnt due for one until 2010.

I guess the only reason that they gave it to him is because there was grease and charcoal in it from where it was on his hands and the plane ?

Nice to know that these doctors here on base know what the heck they are doing !
Old 06-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

That is great he's on board, but I feel bad that he had such a horrible reaction, but whatever works to keep those poisons out of your baby!
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:29 PM   #8
elabela
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yikes! Your poor dh. But I am glad he is on board with you now. I didn't know much about vax issues until someone I knew was affected by them. This little girl(2 at the time) had some sort of reaction and within a week, she was in ICU her parents were told she was not going to make it. In the end, she lived but is still blind. So scary.