Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
marywrathers
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question What are the changes of getting pregnant if you EBF and using no birth control?

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this in, but is it possible to get pregnant if you EBF (no formula), etc and are NOT using birth control? My son is 2 months old and my DH wants to try the pull out method for now on until we plan on getting pregnant with our second child this November. I've thought about the mini pill, but we don't know much about it and feel we don't want it to affect DS in any way.

So, do you think I should keep track of my basal body temperature? Or is this for women who are not breastfeeding and who are trying to get pregnant?

I don't know what to do. I don't feel like getting pregnant right now. Is it true that your body needs time to recuperate before getting pregnant again?

I've read about this in the LLLeague book and on several websites, but want to gain some more info. on the topic. Your input is greatly appreciated!

PS I forgot to mention that I have had no menstrual period since last year and DS BF's every 2-3 hours during the day and 4-6 hours at night. It varies at night, but on average - 5 hours.

PS - Also posted in breastfeeding forum.

UPDATE: Considering pregnancy right now in that I feel that it is okay for our unique, personal situation to get pregnant and I am 100% happy with our decision.

Advertisement

Last edited by marywrathers; 07-21-2008 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Oops! I meant to type "chances" instead of "changes"
marywrathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
LauraI
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What are the changes of getting pregnant if you EBF and using no birth control?

Chances are you're going to be ovulating soon. I see it as 50/50 you will or you won't because you can't predict when that will be. I don't know scientifically how effective pulling out is, but I'm sure google will give you some statistics on that.
LauraI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
tiredmommyof8
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What are the changes of getting pregnant if you EBF and using no birth control?

Just check out my user name .

Kate~ Now an exhausted Mommy of 9!
ISO/IHA
tiredmommyof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
jwpsgurl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yep, got pregnant while EBF DD when she was almost 6 months old...Due in August lol!

ETA: I never got AF back...

Last edited by jwpsgurl; 06-28-2008 at 10:27 AM.
jwpsgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

For the first six months of your baby's life breastfeeding alone is VERY effective birth control. That said, you must be exclusively breastfeeding (no formula, no solids, no sleep schedules to try to get them to sleep all night). Once baby is sleeping a long stretch at night the protection diminishes and after six months the protection goes down.

Could you still get pregnant? Yes. But people get preggo with tubals and vasectomies so nothing is really 100%.

I think ebf for the first six months is more than 98% effective at preventing pregnancy if I remember my statistics right. Personally, I wouldn't get on hormonal birth control while breastfeeding. I don't care how "safe" they say it is. The hormones do pass through to your milk. I have a hard time thinking it can possibly be okay for DS to get an extra dose of female hormones. Someone may have info on how it's fine... but I still wouldn't believe it, lol. Even the mini pill can effect supply as well. Just wanted to confirm your decision to stay away, lol!

You can use temperature charting and fertility awareness even while breastfeeding. I know a lot of people recommend a book called "Taking Charge of Your Fertility". I can't remember who wrote it, but I'm sure someone will chime in with that.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #6
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

What the pp said, AND no pacifiers, no pumping, etc. Pure bf.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
emilysvenson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think this article is very helpful:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility.html

It sounds like you would qualify for lactational amenorrhea, so your chances of conceiving are very slim.

That said, anecdotally I know of several moms who EBF and get their cycles back early. I personally got my period back at 6 and 7 months postpartum, despite BF all day and night.

Here's some info on the safety/effects of hormonal BC methods while BF:
http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/birthcontrol.html

As for fertility awareness (charting temps, cervical fluid, and other fertility signs), the go-to book on the subject is Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. It's an awesome book, and I love FAM. However, I think it would be tough starting out in the postpartum period since fertility signs can be more subtle.

Personally, I'd opt for a barrier method. I think the whole "pulling out" method is flawed because some ejaculate can still escape.

mama to Isaac (4/04) and Flynn (10/06)
emilysvenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
mom2jjorion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our son is 22 months and we have been TTC for over 7 months (with no cycle).
On the flip side, some women get pregnant before their first cycle and before their child reaches 4 months.

I would suggest using a condom if you don't want to get pregnant and are staying away from birth control, but of course, that's just my opinion.

Expecting Babygirl early 2012!

Last edited by mom2jjorion; 06-28-2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: omitting misinformation
mom2jjorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're relying on the pull-out method 4 now and fertility awareness- we relied on it for a year or so before with success at not getting pg.... I got AF back at 8 weeks PP and went on the mini pill for 2 cycles. I had lots of bleeding every time we DTD I would bleed for like a week or so.. It was awful, it also messed w/ my moods, too. I stopped them and now feel wonderful and no more bleeding after DTD. I will never use hormonal bc again. We, well, I'd like 4 to 7 children anyhow... Good luck Mama!
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

It is NOT 50/50 if one follows the rules of LAM as a pp stated -- no artificial nipples of any sort, no scheduling, FOR THE FIRST 6 months ONLY, not if your period is back (even if a woman gets her period back, it is very unlikely she had the LP to sustain a pregnancy at that point), etcetc. Read up on it, but it makes me irritated to hear uninformed people saying 50/50. You either feel it is safe or you don't, that is everyone's personal call, but don't give inaccurate information.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote