Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #11
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Re: What are the changes of getting pregnant if you EBF and using no birth control?

Adding in the info from the kellymom link here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility.html

Quote:
How can I use breastfeeding to prevent pregnancy?

The Exclusive Breastfeeding method of birth control is also called the Lactational Amenorrhea Method of birth control, or LAM. Lactational amenorrhea refers to the natural postpartum infertility that occurs when a woman is not menstruating due to breastfeeding. Many mothers receive conflicting information on the subject of breastfeeding and fertility.

Myth #1 – Breastfeeding cannot be relied upon to prevent pregnancy.

Myth #2 – Any amount of breastfeeding will prevent pregnancy, regardless of the frequency of breastfeeding or whether mom’s period has returned.

Exclusive breastfeeding has in fact been shown to be an excellent form of birth control, but there are certain criteria that must be met for breastfeeding to be used effectively.

Exclusive breastfeeding (by itself) is 98-99.5% effective in preventing pregnancy as long as all of the following conditions are met:

1. Your baby is less than six months old
2. Your menstrual periods have not yet returned
3. Baby is breastfeeding on cue (both day & night), and gets nothing but breastmilk or only token amounts of other foods.

You can achieve higher effectiveness by practicing ecological breastfeeding:

* keeping baby close
* breastfeeding on cue (day and night)
* using breastfeeding to comfort your baby
* breastfeeding in a lying-down position for naps and at night
* using no bottles or pacifiers

If you practice ecological breastfeeding:

* Chance of pregnancy is practically zero during the first three months, less than 2% between 3 and 6 months, and about 6% after 6 months (assuming mom's menstrual periods have not yet returned).
* The average time for the return of menstrual periods is 14.6 months.
* Moms whose cycles return early tend to be infertile for the first few cycles. Moms whose cycles return later are more likely to ovulate before their first period.

Advertisement

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #12
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

Re: What are the changes of getting pregnant if you EBF and using no birth control?

Thank you Lindsay for posting the kellymom info here. Hopefully this will help to educate those that are unaware of the benefits of exclusive breastfeeding and child spacing. The chances are 98 or 99-1. Definitely not 50-50. Thank God. LOL!
Old 06-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #13
I_am_Blessed
Registered Users
Formerly: Beth's_Mommy
seller
seller

DH and I did the pull-out method for 10 months after DD was born. She nursed and still does nurse A LOT. We began trying for a baby with she was 10 months (thinking it would take a while, ya know)... well, we found out we were pregnant when DD was 11 months.

Also, my last period was in August of 2006 (before pregnancy with DD)... so I didn't think I was ovulating... but I was.

Mama to 3, soon-to-be-4

I_am_Blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #14
mom2jjorion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ThatLinGirl ~ You're right. I am uninformed of what LAM is.. well... until today anyway. It still would make me nervous to allow a bare penis (in action) anywhere near me if I wasn't trying to get pregnant. Again you're right, because that is a personal call and not my place to try and give any stiff info!

marywrathers/OP ~ Exclusive breastfeeding is a wonderful method of birth control. My family has certainly reaped the benefits and I'm sure yours will too. Looks like a lot of other women are using the pull-out method in combination with LAM and have not become pregnant... So maybe your Hubby is onto something.

Expecting Babygirl early 2012!
mom2jjorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #15
rougeaux
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It does happen. I was pregnant less than three months after having my first daughter, EBFing AND I was taking Micronor (the MINI birth control pill). That pregnancy was lost in the 22nd week unfortunately. A few weeks after the loss we conceived DD2, and I was still nursing DD1 through all of it.

EVERY baby I have had I breast feed exclusively but I've never gone more than 5 or 6 weeks PP without getting AF. I'm always so envious hearing about mamas who're nursing and going YEARS without periods. It's NOT FAIR I tell ya!!

I guess I'm saying, there are always exceptions to any rule, if you really want to avoid a pregnancy the pull out method may not be the best way to go if you're LAMing.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:14 PM   #16
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are using LAM but had trouble getting pregnant with our DD because of PCOS. I have had no return of my period and my DD is nearly 1 year old.

That said, there is NO WAY I would practice LAM without reading either Toni Weschler's book or The Art of NFP by the Kippleys. Frankly, I think it is better to take a class in NFP (I would reccommend www.ccli.org because they are so very thorough in their classes) and then also read Kippley's Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing. Your local LLL may have a copy of it.

BTW, if you are still EBF in November you may have trouble concieving and if you wish to long term BF you may want to bup the date back a bit to protect supply, etc.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #17
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was told the first 6 mos I was fine as long as I was only BFing her and not doing formula. My DD is now 10 wks old, I have already had my first AF since I had her. Which means my chances go up. So to me its all what your body can do, I know my mom got pg with all of us when she was BFing only. All of us were 9 mos old when she got pg with the next one. She NEVER got an AF either.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:21 PM   #18
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I was told the first 6 mos I was fine as long as I was only BFing her and not doing formula. My DD is now 10 wks old, I have already had my first AF since I had her. Which means my chances go up. So to me its all what your body can do, I know my mom got pg with all of us when she was BFing only. All of us were 9 mos old when she got pg with the next one. She NEVER got an AF either.
If your LO is only 10 wks old, perhaps you experienced the "six week bleed" and not a true AF? Just offering you some hope, lol.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:36 AM   #19
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, good luck. Notice how close together my first 2 are, lol! Never had a period, she was EBF, and I got pregnant with my ds. I think I ovulated last week, so we'll see in a bit if I get my period. Dd is EBF. I'm using the IUD and, uh, abstinance this time, so our chances are pretty low of getting pregnant, lol!
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:41 AM   #20
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Like others have siad, EBF really EBF can prevent pg for 6 months, I go much longer but have had 5 kids so I have some histopry, when it is your first you just never know how your body will act.

I haven't started my cycles back and my baby is 9 months old and sleeps more then 6 hours at night and eats a few cherrios during the day, so who knows, my closest 2 are 22 months apart, not too bad.

I would recommend staying away from the mini-pill as it can effect your milk suppy.

What about other methods, ie condoms?