Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #11
Us4&AngelCorey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone here have a son with adhd?

Yes my 4 year old has it and we are just getting started on the evaluations for him. It is terrible. His younger brother died this year and now it is just getting worse.

Advertisement

Us4&AngelCorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:22 PM   #12
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Us*4*and*Corey*in*Heaven View Post
Yes my 4 year old has it and we are just getting started on the evaluations for him. It is terrible. His younger brother died this year and now it is just getting worse.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #13
Mother Lover
Registered Users
Formerly: Mirandom
seller

My Mood:

My little brother has ADHD and I have ADD. We both show signs, even as adults.
My poor mother!
Diet is a big part of success with these conditions! I use to be all over the place, still am but I can focus and remember things now.
I stay away from processed foods!!
Old 10-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #14
sweetangelfriend
Registered Users

My Mood:

My 4 and 2 year old boys have both been diagnosed with ADHD. They also have MANY allergies and have been diagnosed with mild intermittent asthma. I know how difficult it can be.

cd'ing, bf'ing, hsing, SAHM of Chip (8/9/04), Josh (12/16/05), and Nevaeh our miracle 7 weeks early (5/25/08)
sweetangelfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:23 PM   #15
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mamas, What do u do when they won't just chill for quiet time?
I can only keep my 2yo occupied with a book for a few minutes on his own. toys dont work because everything involves active play with him.
He won't sit and listen to a CD, won't stay in his room if i put him there (unless I were to lock the door!) i dont know what to do. the other problem is that by 4pm he is exhausted. Because if people don't lay down/rest during quiet time, they are monsters when it is over, but I have to keep moving. I have to make dinner, the baby gets up, the boys have to be left to play on their own and they turn into monsters when they haven't gotten some time apart. but the whole time they are in "quiet time" they won't leave me alone. they constantly ask if it is over. ODS has behavior problems and constantly turns off the timer or tries to do drastic things to get me mad.
ODS most likely has ADD/ODD and we are getting results next week. My younger i think has ADHD - they are complete opposites but my younger one is SOO active and over emotional about everything.
We do a great diet - lower carbs that most people, cut out sugar, etc. except for dessert we let them have.
Any suggestions, mamas? I know others are dealing wtih this. Movies don't work - they dont usually fall asleep to them.
thanks so much!
Old 02-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #16
JulieBeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our son is ADD and dyslexic.

Always in our hearts- 8/30/11, 11 weeks 4 days & 12/16/11, 5 weeks.
JulieBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #17
travelinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My older ds is adhd, but not formally diagnosed. Both his teacher and I figured that he was. As it is not interfering with his education or anything I'm not going to medicate him. His teacher said that he is one of the smartest kids in the class, head of the reading group, but he just can't sit still. So he's got a reward system that he gets when he sits still, we're still working on it. But if it gets to the point where his teacher feels that she can't deal with it anymore we'll homeschool him again.

As far as diet we don't eat a lot of processed foods. But what's made the biggest difference has been cutting out artificial colors. It was like a switch, before he was a hellion. I couldn't control him at all, his moods were extreme and all over the place. But now he's just extremely active.

vintagegyrl- we don't do quiet time. It never made sense to me, that my child is so active I should try and force them to calm down. So we do the opposite, we'll do active time, I will send them to the backyard or the basement, have them throw the ball with the dog, ride the bike, I have an indoor bowling set they love. I will set up a active thing to do and then leave them to it.
travelinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #18
ABCDE Family
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS is 11yrs. now and he has ADHD. I mean he is the "poster" child for it. He has mood swings, depression, ODD etc. I have had him on trials of lots of differ. meds. Most of the meds I didnt like,it seemed as if his personality was gone. It was SAD. He wouldnt join in with groups he was calm but not in a good way. I now have him on a non stimulate called Straterra and he is VERY active still but can focus better. Also we switched his diet last yr. to NO ARTIFICAL COLORS/ FLAVORS. No processed foods, we try to watch his sugar intake as well. He did a complete 180. He still has things that come along with ADHD but it's manageable now. It was hard because he is a picky eater, but after a month he got lots better. He is also in counsling for his moods. He now knows to ask before he eats something someone else offers, and he choose organic friendly foods. I also have my younger boys and all of us eating this way. It a AWESOME feeling.

Also you should get Omega-3 with the DHA. I have read studies with people/kids being treated with this for ADHD, ODD and Bipolar. It was interesting

Sorry so long Let me know if I can answer any ?'s about anything. I have joined ADHD support groups also.
A for mom and Wife, B for DS#2, C for DH whom I LOVE, D for DS#1, E for DS#3, F for DS#4 and G for DD#5 ...Skipping down the CRUNCHY path
ABCDE Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #19
earthEmama
Registered Users
Formerly: cs***kky
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by snangel View Post
My oldest has ADHD, Tourettes, and OCD..I don't really consider him SN though...he's just him.....he has his quirks.....but he's brilliant and funny and is doing so well. We have him on the "ADHD" diet, and he also takes meds. He is almost 7 and is doing very well now that we know how his brain works, we can work with him instead of against him.If you wanna chat some more give me a holler!
Tell me more mama i have a & year old boy who will be 8 and its hard I feel I dont fully understand his condition and that were working against each other like you said what have you done? whats this adhd diet.tell me more currently I steer away from sugar,selective on gluten,dairy (he's allergic any how) period! I just know better.We chose to medicate due to it was medicating our child or medicate us!! Tips s please its not right if you feel resentment towards your own.I need to be more educated here!!
earthEmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #20
ladylee
Registered Users

My Mood:

5 1/2 year old son is PDD-NOS, ADHD and has Anxiety disorder
My sisters and I have ADHD.
My father has undx ADHD

I am trying neurofeedback and will be getting my son into that soon. I don't know if I completely believe in it yet but it seems to be helping at least for anxiety as that is what I am working on right now. The lower my anxiety levels, the less ADHD I seem. I have read some great information on that although research studies are a little inconclusive. I would rather try neurofeedback and other options first before meds for my son because he is already pretty short and is only in the 5th %ile for weight (33 pounds) and he is 5 1/2 years old.

Cod liver oil actually has worked pretty well. I read one pretty good research study comparing Ritalin and Cod Liver oil (or fish oil - forget which one) and the children taking the cod liver oil had better results according to behavior rating scales (oh, I just read the PP - LOL, said similar things). My son has really improved significantly on this stuff. We have tested him off of it and when he has been off of it for more than three weeks, we start hearing complaints from daycare and school. He also tends to stutter more when he is off of it.

Nutrasweet made me worse. If I have a pop, I make sure it has sugar and non of that diet stuff. Sugar has less of an effect. Red dyes actually really do effect us, especially my 20 month old son. We try to eat healthy but need to get better.

I am not against meds as I am on some for my treatment. I just feel it should be the last resort and all other things should be tried first (unless your child is extremely severe).

Just a side note: Many kids/adults have sleep disorders and/or anxiety instead of ADHD. My "ADHD" could be the result of a sleep disorder as well. I have very little stage four deep sleep and many alpha intrusions (brain goes awake throughout the night) in one night. This would have never been picked up if I didn't go through sleep studies.

If any of you have kids diagnosed as ADHD, please look into the other factors as well. Also make sure to get your kids a full comprehensive blood workup.

We really have to do our best to cut out television or limit it significantly (mean society as a whole). Television really has an effect on our brainwaves and overall brain development. There is too much stimulation in todays world. In addition, most of us (people in general) eat a lot of junk. There is so much I need to change in my family.

Last edited by ladylee; 04-04-2009 at 03:03 PM.
ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote