Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
Jordan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation Sore nipples Updated in post 15, Now I have mastitis.

Updated in post 15, Now I have mastitis.

I really need some help here mamas. DS is 14 months and still nurses about 8 times a day and my nipples are killing me. I "think" it is from me not paying attention and him being lazy with his latch. My nipples are dry, scabby, and bleeding a tiny bit. It hurts really bad when he first latches on (he is latching correctly now) but after a few minutes it feels a bit better. What can I do to help with the pain? I just tense up when he gets ready to latch it hurts so bad. I can't stand to lean again something or touch them either. Please help!

Advertisement

Last edited by Jordan; 07-04-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
I_am_Blessed
Registered Users
Formerly: Beth's_Mommy
seller
seller

Re: Sore nipples

Could you be pregnant? When dd was 11 months, mine got REALLY sore and a couple weeks later, I found out I was pregnant. I am 9 weeks now, and they are still killing me... it is horrible when she first starts.

I hope it gets better...

Mama to 3, soon-to-be-4

I_am_Blessed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
shorezee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well, the pp has a point, they could be sensitive from early pg. If that's not the case, I'd treat it the same as a new nursing mom would. After a nursing, rinse with warm water and pat dry, express some milk and rub it onto your nipples and air dry. When dry, put on lanolin salve. Make sure your breast pads are always dry too. Try to go bra less as much as possible and be sure your lo is latching properly. Also, avoid soap directly on them in the shower. Sorry, I'm all over the place with info but I'm kinda writing as I think of things. I suffered terribly with both my boys in the beginning but never after the first few months. If it doesn't let up in a week, I'd get checked out. Oh, and check your baby's mouth for thrush, a yeast infection can make your nipples REALLY sore a irritated. HTH
shorezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
MamaEli
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sounds like me right now, but we;re still getting the hang of things. Be mindful of your latch, maybe try to call an LLL leader. Use lanolin nipple cream btw feedings, try warm tea bags as compresses. I think as you get the latch ok everything else will fall in place.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
CindyLynn
Registered Users

My Mood:

Check your DS's mouth for white patches. You may have thrush. I know that some lactation consultants will confuse a bad latch with thrush. It happened to several times.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
Jordan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think I could be pregnant. I have the mirena iud but I haven't had a pp af either. Wouldn't be too likely. I've never had issues like this while nursing either of my boys so I'm in the dark.

I need to see if I have any lanolin around here. I know we got some from the hospital, but I may have thrown it away. Does the lanolin have any taste too it, is DS gonna notice it?

As for the thrush, I tried to check DS's mouth earlier and I didn't really see anything. I'm going to get DH to help me look better in the morning though.

Thanks for the help mamas!
Old 06-28-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
rougeaux
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am thinking thrush too. Are you itchy at all?
Your DS does not have to have symptoms but it could still be yeast infection on your side. I'd treat YOU anyway, you can put live active yogurt on your nipples between feedings (I'm not sure if you're a s/wahm or not this may not be a possibility at work har har).
If it IS a yeast infection the yogurt will REALLY help your pain/cracking issues immediately. if this is the case, start taking acidophilus and eating LOTS of yogurt (both you and ds) unless you'd rather do the Rx route, your Dr can prescribe a pill which is much faster/easier.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:17 PM   #8
Jordan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rougeaux View Post
I am thinking thrush too. Are you itchy at all?
Your DS does not have to have symptoms but it could still be yeast infection on your side. I'd treat YOU anyway, you can put live active yogurt on your nipples between feedings (I'm not sure if you're a s/wahm or not this may not be a possibility at work har har).
If it IS a yeast infection the yogurt will REALLY help your pain/cracking issues immediately. if this is the case, start taking acidophilus and eating LOTS of yogurt (both you and ds) unless you'd rather do the Rx route, your Dr can prescribe a pill which is much faster/easier.
Ok, I'm not at all familiar with yogurt. I'm not a big fan of eating it, but DH and the kids do so we have some. Is all yogurt live active? I do sahm so I could do this. And what is acidophilus, and where can I get it? I need to aviod the dr since I don't have insurance at this time.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #9
Jordan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I researched all morning and I think it is yeast. I have all the classic symtoms. I called the pharmacy and they are ordering me some gentian violet to use. I know it's messy, but it seems to have helped alot of people. I also going to get some grape seed extract and acidophilus and take that as well. Hopefully that will do the trick!
Old 06-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #10
slynabean
Registered Users

Lansinoh works well for me.
slynabean is offline   Reply With Quote