Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2008, 02:19 AM   #1
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tell me why you LIKE to WOH...

This is not to put a damper on all the WAHM or those who want to be SAHM, certainly I have days I want to SAH. WOH is to the most part a life choice I've made and I don't regret it. I've seen the posting of what people do and want to know why you like your job.
Me - I am Sales Compensation Analyst (I create compensation plans to drive sales behavior).
1) I like my company (In the top 20 of US best Companies to work for in the past 7 yrs)
2) I like my boss (one of the few bosses I truly respect and like)
3) I like the adult interaction that is not baby related.
4) I like the feeling of accomplishment. Although I don't "love" what I actually do, I do a good job of it and its nice to be recognized.
5) I like financial independence, to spend my money, my way - SAH I would feel dependent on DH. We also can afford our high standard of living - nice cars, vacation abroad, eating out etc. Without my income we would have to make many lifestyle changes that I am not willing to do.
6) I like the flexibility of working from home couple days a week, during which I can nurse my child and still do some of the SAHM stuff. Because I get to see my children during the day I don't fell like I've missed any major developmental progress.
7) Finally I am a much better mom that I am able to get out into the work world. During maternity there were many days that I stayed in PJ all day long. I definitely get more done during the day when I WOH.

Advertisement

Last edited by Mommimi; 06-30-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Mommimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
tasbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me why you LIKE to WOH...

I am an analyst in a hospital IT department. My DH does not have a very good job so I really don't have a choice except to have a full time job. But, I've been with my same company for almost 12 years and have come a long way since my first day filing in medical records. My DD was a baby and I'd just graduated from college and took the first job I could find (second actually...first one was in a daycare and I worked there for 2 weeks before I got the hospital job!) So, here's what I like!

1) The money pays the bills, mostly.
2) I have excellent health insurance.
3) I am always learning something new.
4) I get to spend time with other adults. I'm an introvert at heart, so if I were home with the kids I probably wouldn't do a great job of reaching out to other adults.
5) I love a good challenge and my job definitely gives me that!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
mnmama
Registered Users
seller

I'm a mental health therapist. I specialize in American Indian culturally specific therapy.

I like working because:
1) It's extremely rewarding. As a native person, I have a personal stake in the health of my community. I'm honored to be able to serve my community in the way that I do.
2) I love our day care provider. She is pretty much considered part of our family. She is a really good person and I believe is a positive person to have in our children's lives. For one, my daughter can speak and understand Russian (she's from Russia originally). She also taught my daughter how to read and write at 4.5. If we didn't like and respect her so much, I'm not sure that I would enjoy working as much as I do. I know my kids are with someone who adores them and enriches their lives.
3) I am able to provide for family. I'm the breadwinner so partially my working is necessary. But I enjoy providing for them. Also, if anything were to ever happen to dh or heaven forbid our relationship, I know we'd be ok no matter what.

Last edited by mnmama; 07-01-2008 at 09:31 AM.
mnmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

Honestly... the only things I like are:

1.) financial independence.
2.) excellent medical/vision/dental benefits for DD and I.
3.) Fairly good hours - 6:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. M-F, though I rarely work weekends, because I have high seniority, if I had lower seniority, I'd be working probably 2-3 weekends out of the month.
4.) Job stability - it's very unlikely that my company would ever go under, especially since it's one of the most recognized brands in the entire world and has been around for more than 100 years.

... and that's it. I don't like 90% of my co-workers. I don't like my job. I work, because I have to... if I should ever win the lottery or come into money another way, my job is the first thing that would go.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Number one reason I like to WOH is because it allows me to continue to be an independent person apart from my children and my spouse which I think is very important.

However I also think it is important for my kids to be with family as much as possible so my husband and I have our schedules arranged so my 22 month old is only in day care 1 day a week and my 5 year-old attends 1/2 day preschool 5 days a week.

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
AtoZMomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm a mental health therapist too (Licensed Clinical Social Worker). I like WOH because
1)I am living my childhood dream of getting to start my own business and have a private practice
2)I love being able to be a part of helping clients get better
3)I like the creative part of coming up with client forms, website, marketing strategies, and activities/homework for clients to do
4)I feel mentally stimulated to continue learning about my specialty area--I love going to conferences and learning new things
5)I'm NEVER bored
6)The financial aspect is VERY rewarding
7)My schedule is flexible, so if I ever need/want more time with the kiddos, I just mark a few days out in my schedule book--I can still pick them up from school when I want, attend field trips, whatever...it's truly the best job fit for me.
8)Shopping for work clothes and dressing up sometimes is fun too
Old 06-30-2008, 08:13 AM   #7
kaspears17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like to WOH is because

1. it allows me to continue to be an independent person apart from my children and my spouse which I think is very important

2. it gives me financial independence, to spend my money, my way - SAH I would feel dependent on DH. We also can afford our lifestyle. Without my income we would have to make many lifestyle changes. And we can afford our kids activities and to take them to fun events.

3. it gives me adult interaction that is not baby related.

4. it gives me a challenge and the feeling of accomplishment.

5. it gives me the ability to help people.

6. it gives me a reason to get dressed in the morning and it gets me off the couch.

7. I get a lot more done during the day when I WOH.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
wildeyes
Tummy Kisses Diapers
seller

My Mood:

ummm... it pays the bills? idk i really hate working, but with the bills i have no choice.
i get out of the house, and i really like pretty much all the people i work with. hate the dress code tho.

i think if i had a more interesting job, i might like it more, but being a casheir in a grocery store has its limits in the mental stimulation dept, kwim?
Officially ERF!!!
wildeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
JDT
Banned

My Mood:

I LOVE working out of the house.

1. I really need to work out of the house for balance. I felt really "stuck" and depressed when I was home with the kids all day
2. it makes me a better mom
3. since of accomplishment
4. I earn a nice living - that makes me proud
5. Adult interaction that has nothing to do with hte kids
6. I felt like a maid/slave/taxi driver when I was home.
7. I work regular business hours - no weekends EVER
8. I LOVE the weekends now. I used to HATE the weekends when I was a SAHM. Weekends used to mean more people, more mess, more noise. Now the weekend = fun family time!
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
Phaedra70
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am a WOHM for many reasons. I am a teacher so I have good hours, holidays, a short summer break, etc. I also have to work because we still don't make that much money. But much more importantly:

1. My sanity--ADHD makes me need a schedule and without work, I would do nothing all day and then be depressed because I did nothing all day.

2. My husbands sanity 'cause when mama ain't happy, nobody is happy

3. I am a more patient mom because of my students. Some days I am at the end of my rope but MOST days, I really appreciate my kids.

4. The domestic goddess gene must have skipped a generation

5. I love television and have NO willpower! I stay up late and eat junk during the summer so I can't even imagine my life if I stayed home every day.

6. I love my kids and they deserve the best. My mother is their caretaker when DH and I are working. They are surrounded by family so I don't worry about them when I have to work.

Thanks to whoever posted this. Too many times women do what they think everyone expects of them instead of what is right for them.

Mommy to Van (7/1/00) Olivia (3/31/03) and Phoebe (6/13/06) Wife to John-John

Miss my babies and wish I had all 3!
Phaedra70 is offline   Reply With Quote