Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
ajprosek
Registered Users

Clothing Sizing Question

As a first time mom I'm stuck, DD is currently in 6-9 mth clothes, I have been hitting garage sales picking up clothes for her except I can't find anything 9-12 size I've tried looking to order stuff and still nothing. Is this non - existant? Plus Carter brand is always marked with the big month so 6-9 mth is 9, what is their 12 mth? She is going to be moving up soon, do I just put her in 12 mth? Why can't this be easy

Advertisement

ajprosek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
MomToJazmyne
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Clothing Sizing Question

At least you wee able to find 6-9 month clothes...when J was that size we had to go from 3-6 month to 6-12 months and her clothes were way too big on her for a while but she has since out grown them. If I remeber cirrectly about carter's they do have a 12 month size.

J (8/15/06) and L (4/25/13)
MomToJazmyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
tmfletch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sizing for kids clothes is hard. My DD is currently 18 mos old and wearing anything from 12 mos - 2T. What a huge range!! So- no advice, I just feel your frustration......
tmfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
byumommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

9-12 mos is not a "regular" size. Baby clothing usually goes ... preemie, newborn, 0-3 mos, 3-6 mos, 6-9 mos, 12 mos. Although some Carters will have 9-12 mos. Gymboree/Jack & Janie/Old Navy/Gap/Zutano have 6-12 mos. But every brand is not the same (a 6-12 Gymbo does not equal a 6-12 mos Zutano for example).

Cloth diapering makes a difference. Caroline's cloth diaper booty makes her move up in sizes faster. She is exactly 17 lbs now and wears 12 mo clothing due to her cloth diaper. She can wear 6-12 mo Zutano though since they are sized generously.

Oh, some of the Okie Dokie 6-9 mos stuff we have still fits. They seemed to be VERY generously sized.

HTH!
Old 06-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I'm looking at used clothes, the 9-18-month range (however titled) seems sparser than other sizes -- I think because they're feeding themselves and playing in mud and staining so many outfits!
Old 06-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfletch View Post
Sizing for kids clothes is hard. My DD is currently 18 mos old and wearing anything from 12 mos - 2T. What a huge range!! So- no advice, I just feel your frustration......
Same here!! My 28 month old still wears some 9 month stuff in certain brands and lots of 12 month stuff...yet STILL wears some 2T stuff. Drives me nutty.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:11 AM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

The Carter's stuff marked 12 months is meant to fit from about 9-12 months. The thing is, a child grows so much more in the first 6 months than they do in the next 6, so around 12 months the sizing gets a bit muddier (clothes often do, too). I think that is why so many companies have started listing weight and height ranges on their clothes.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #8
ajprosek
Registered Users

I guess I will give up the hunt, I have been stocking up on 12 - 18 some 24 mth just to have something for her. I scored big at a garage sale this weekend, I got a huge bag of clothes for her for 20! I filled my giant cloth bag and a smaller one, I don't know how she will wear it all, but I will keep doing what I'm doing and not worry about the 9 miths. Thanks Mamas.
ajprosek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've noticed recently that Carter's and Circo (Target) have sizes that are one-number. They used to have 0-3, 3-6, 6-9, etc. Now, it is nb (up to 8 lbs), 3m, 6m, 9m, 12m. I was wondering if they did this to sell more clothes. Gap & Old Navy have 6-12m size which runs a little larger.

My kids clothes never completely fit them perfectly. They have really long bodies so one-pieces were always really long in the legs when they fit the torso right. Mine grew so fast - DS #1 never even wore 6-12. He was so large he went right from 3-6 winter to 12m summer in a blink!!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #10
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagegyrl View Post
I've noticed recently that Carter's and Circo (Target) have sizes that are one-number. They used to have 0-3, 3-6, 6-9, etc. Now, it is nb (up to 8 lbs), 3m, 6m, 9m, 12m. I was wondering if they did this to sell more clothes. Gap & Old Navy have 6-12m size which runs a little larger.
Carters and Circo had nb, 0-3, 3-6, 6-9, 9-12 sizes for at least the last 7 years. They have labeled them differently now, but the sizing is the same or pretty close. I used to buy those brands for my oldest and she's almost 8.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote