Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #11
ahnah74
Registered Users

Re: Hospital Jaundice Worries

my baby bro. was most jaundiced of us all. i was 18 and remember seeing that they put him under spec. lights in the hosp. nursery, but mom only breastfed and no supplements, then sunshine at home. luckily, my 1st was only slightly jaundiced, but followed moms example and now have healthy 11 yr. old.
if you are worried about what will happen at the hosp. in any instance talk to your dr. about it and write up a birth plan so that not just the dr. knows but so does the hosp. staff, since the plan goes in your records. this is how i made sure that i always got skin to skin contact and breastfed baby before they took baby to nursery to weigh and wash.

Advertisement

ahnah74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
ustasmom
Registered Users
seller

I had 2 out of 8 have to go under the lights, although most of them had breastmilk jaundice and/or A/B/O incompatability.

My last LO was our toughest. She was the tiniest and couldn't latch. She didn't nurse well, so she got more tired and more yellow. The jaundice made her more lethargic and thus she couldn't wake up to eat. She was seriously spiraling downward out of control.

We were out of the hospital by that point and she had to be admitted for 24 hours. The lights did wonders. Plus, I was pumping, using a breast shield and a SNS. Then she would top off with formula.

By the time that we got home, she figured out how to nurse with the shield, then within 24 hours, she figured out how to nurse without the shield.

Thankfully, I had a last minute change of heart about the Vit K shot, and we did it. We didn't do the eye ointment. And Hep B, forget about it. No way!

Anyway, you do what you have to do, and then you move on.

Forgot to mention, that even with all this, she still hasn't worn a sposie. She wore her cloth through it all.

Last edited by ustasmom; 06-30-2008 at 10:00 AM.
ustasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #13
kristenkan52
Registered Users

I did not go the hospital at all when I had my LO as we were at a birth center and then discharged from there directly home 12 hours after birth. My LO did get jaundice and it got pretty high within the first couple weeks of life. He never had to be hospitalized and our pedi recommended supplementation of either breastmilk or formula after a nursing session (depending on my preference and desire to pump). Anyway, I did give him an extra ounce in a bottle after each feeding with no issue but after a while I thought, "Why am I pumping and then feeding it to him in a bottle... this doesn't make any sense." So I started switch feeding, which if you are not familiar with the term is when you keep switching sides. So I'd have him nurse at least twice on each side per nursing session. This worked great and the jaundice cleared up. So I would say that that would be one option if you need it in the hospital. Just tell them you will nurse a lot and just keep offering the breast alternating if needed to keep them interested.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:04 PM   #14
kittykat2481
Registered Users

My Mood:

When DS was born he had to go to the nursery right away for a few reasons. They brought him to me about an hour later because I had said I was going to bf, and his blood sugar was low. They said they would let me try to bf, but if it didn't go well he would have to have formula. Luckily he latched on so well and you could hear him swallowing, so they didn't even check his blood sugar right away - they just let me keep them. I had told them if he HAD to have formula it was to be dropper fed, and they looked at me like I had two heads, but agreed. I had met with his pedi prior to giving birth and she is VERY pro-breastfeeding, going so far as to take dom, etc to bf her own DD for 15 months - so I knew I would have her support. Oh, and DS never got jaundiced - his numbers were great! I just offered the breast often and let him stay on as long as he liked. I never took him off after 10 minutes on each side or whatever *they* recommend. I just stuck him on and he did the rest. He also only lost 3oz after birth (8lbs9oz at birth). Good luck and like the pp said, try not to worry about it too much now, since you don't know what the future holds - and you will be armed with info if you need it.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #15
literacylaunchpad
Registered Users
Formerly: acw1

This info is all very helpful and empowering. I am going to make sure to make a sign for LO's bassinet, but we do plan on rooming in 24/7. I know I've got to be strong and just stick to my guns, but I guess that's the real underlying fear: that I'm going to have an exhausting hospital stay of constant head butting with the nurses and such.

As I'm writing this, I'm sitting here watching a recorded episode of Oprah about the "law of attraction" and thinking that I should probably stop being so fearful about this all, and just expect a good experience. Hmm...

Thanks for sharing your stories, ladies!
literacylaunchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #16
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey mama- what's your blood type? Another poster alluded to this, but one of the risk factors for jaundice is if you are blood type O. If you aren't O, and your baby is full-term, chances are you won't have to deal w/ jaundice.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:39 PM   #17
literacylaunchpad
Registered Users
Formerly: acw1

I'm pretty sure I'm O-. I had to have that rhogam shot earlier in my pregnancy.
literacylaunchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:41 PM   #18
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, the rhogam shot is for rhesus type negative, it doesn't have anything to do w/ your protein type (O, A, B or AB).
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #19
bkcwjzy
Registered Users
Formerly: bkcwzy
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnah74 View Post
my baby bro. was most jaundiced of us all. i was 18 and remember seeing that they put him under spec. lights in the hosp. nursery, but mom only breastfed and no supplements, then sunshine at home. luckily, my 1st was only slightly jaundiced, but followed moms example and now have healthy 11 yr. old.
if you are worried about what will happen at the hosp. in any instance talk to your dr. about it and write up a birth plan so that not just the dr. knows but so does the hosp. staff, since the plan goes in your records. this is how i made sure that i always got skin to skin contact and breastfed baby before they took baby to nursery to weigh and wash.
No, it was me. I came out VERY jaundiced and Mom was so scared. They put me under the lights and I only came out for breastfeeding and I was fine by the time I was 1 week. =]
bkcwjzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:05 PM   #20
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So first off I was just going to say that my milk came in way faster this time. The lactation consultant told me that happens. With DS I didn't get anything until I was home, but this time I was already pumping a couple ounces the second day.

Secondly the staff at my hospital rented me a billi-blanket so we could take her home and not leave her at the hospital because her levels were pretty high. When I got home I pumped and bottlefed a lot (my babies have never had nipple confusion issues - I didn't even know that was an issue). I found that she was so tired from the jaundice that the breast was too soothing. Jamming that bottle in there helped her to gain weight and get the junk out!!!!

Good luck mama!!