Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2006, 06:00 AM   #1
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:
How soon after birth.........

How soon after giving birth can you get pregnant again? I am EBF and while I know you "can" get pregnant how common is it really? What is the safe amount of time to wait before TTC after giving birth? Can you TTC while EBF and actually have hope of conceiving?

I am only 5 weeks pp so I'm not ready just yet. We are DTD without protection though so I'd like to have an idea in my head. Thanks!!

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2006, 06:25 AM   #2
Bluemoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How soon after birth.........

well there is really no snswer for that. you could get pg or not. everyone is different.
Barbara
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:27 AM   #3
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

You can get pregnant quickly. My friend-neighbor has one child born in June 2004, and her second was born April 2005.

Similarly, another friend got pregnant with her second at 6 months PP-- while EBF, having not gotten her period since before baby #1--

But there's also tons of women who don't. One of those for everyone you hear about, there are as many if not more who don't. I wouldn't stress too much.
MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

My sis EBF and was PG by her 6 week check-up. I EBF my last one and did not get ppAF until he was 22 months old! It really depends on the woman.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:07 AM   #5
Mommy2Cadence
Registered Users
seller
seller

It really does depend on the person my SIL got pg while her first son was still in the hospital! He was only 1lb 9oz though, she was 2 months by the time he was released at 3 months old. They are both healthy little boys now! Just be careful
Old 10-02-2006, 07:21 AM   #6
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

I was wondering this myself. I am 4 1/2 months PP and do not want to get PG again anytime soon, but I am not on BC or anything. Can anyone tell me how you can tell when you ae ovulating if you don't have AF?
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:26 AM   #7
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would think you would have ovulation symptoms--ewc cm, bbt changes, etc. But maybe you'd miss the signs if you were nursing. Nursing decreases estrogen sometimes even fooling your body into thinking it is in menopause at first, hence nightsweats the first few postpartum weeks, also prolactin inhibits ovulation in many women. Every woman is different. I took the mini-pill (safe while nursing) after dd#1 just to be safe, and I'm [planning to do the same this time.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:37 AM   #8
hauser
Registered Users
seller

I have been thinking a lot about this myself. I have had one AF. DS was in the hospital for sedation and then gen anesthesia. I had to pump which is why I think I had it. Haven't had one since then though. I have the mini pill sitting in the kitchen. I haven't touched it. DS is 5 months now. I don't realy want to take it, but I also don't want to get pg!! I can't decide what to do. My husband is done with 2 kids, but he hasn't really cared that I am not taking the pill. In other words I haven't had anyone pushing me to take it. Hmm I should probably start taking it I guess!!
I guess I would say to you that if you want to be sure and not get pg you should use something, although I am not following my own advice on this one!!
Old 10-02-2006, 07:38 AM   #9
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i have a 9 month old and am 14 wks pregnant, she's on solids now but i was ebf when she was conceived.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:41 AM   #10
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

My sister EBF and got preggo with #2 when her first was 6 months old. not planned.

I have heard of people getting pregnant again as early as 3 months or so after. Of course I am not sure if they BF or not.
Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote