Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2006, 08:06 AM   #11
sherbear178
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How soon after birth.........

My ds is proof that you can easily conceive while EB. My kids are 15 months apart. I wasnt on any birth control but I wasnt getting any af so I was testing every couple of weeks just to be sure. I didnt suspect I was pregnant but I tested and I got a BFP before I even got a chance to set the test down on the vanity. As far as a safe amount of time I am not sure. Have you had your check up yet? If not ask your doc at your check up. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2006, 08:49 AM   #12
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, you can get pregnant very soon after wards even EBF. I have a friend who had her son, bf him and not even 2 months after giving birth was pregnant again, and bf the whole pregnancy.
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:41 AM   #13
bsydprmkn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my kids are exactly 12 months apart
Old 10-02-2006, 10:00 AM   #14
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I would think it's not totally uncommon to get preg. again right away even if you are ebf.
It totally depends on your fertility, etc...etc...
Old 10-02-2006, 10:36 AM   #15
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

i was ebf (at night, every 3 hours min. most of the time) - pretty much everything that they say should = "ecological breastfeeding" and my af returned at 4.5 months pp. i've known of plenty of other moms who were even more regular bf-ers than me whose PPAF came back really early (6-12 weeks, etc.). every woman is different in how sensitive she is to the hormones associated with breastfeeding.

Kellymom has some good information on the return to fertility while breastfeeding.

In general the research suggests that for most women (but not all) if their PPAF returns before 6 months post-partum they will most likely NOT ovulate prior to that first period. The later your AF returns the more likely it is that you will ovulate first. And for most women who get AF back early it takes a few cycles for things to get back to normal. That was definitely my experience as well.

My first 2 or 3 post-partum cycles were definitely abnormal for me. My first one was extremely short (like 2 days). Then it was about 45 days to my next period, which was a bit more like normal length. Then the next cycle was closer to normal. The 4th was pretty much inline with my normal pattern. I think I probably o'd the first time in that 3rd cycle.

Oh yeah, and to add - most people don't have to wean first in order to get pregnant the next time. But I have heard some people say that they just didn't get pg until after they'd weaned, so I guess it just depends.

HTH!

Last edited by wbkt8; 10-02-2006 at 10:38 AM.
wbkt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:53 AM   #16
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ummm... well, I know its not common, but my aunt's daughters are 10 months apart.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:17 AM   #17
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

I've wondered about this too. I am EBF my 8 mo old and have wondered how you know that you are pg if you have no ppaf, other than testing, what clued you in? My 1st and 2nd are 20 mo apart and my 3rd and 4th are 20.5 mo apart but after my 1st and 3rd I had af a few times before I got pg, this time no af yet. I'm not complaining but my dh is done and I'm not sure but we aren't actually preventing. Hope I'm not hijacking, it seemed to be basically the same thing .
Old 10-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #18
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

The book The Art of Natural Family Planning has a chapter devoted to learning your ppAF sypmtoms. Speaking from experience, for me- the'yre similar to pregnancy symptoms. I nursed DD2 for 23 months and by 17 months I thought I was pregnant (still hadn't had AF), but when she was 18 months, I got AF and then was pregnant two weeks after that. With DD3, I EBF and at 8 months thought I was pregnant and two weeks later, got my AF.

It really does depend on the woman though. But for the most part, your body will give off signs.

good luck!

BTW... check out Brittney Spears..her two boys are almost exactly one year apart. So I think it's a little more common than we think to get pregnant soon after giving birth. I would take a gander of stating that it's probably more common in the mama's that don't breast feed (either at all or for only a very short period of time). But I don't have any statistics to back that up.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:32 AM   #19
mamato5angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My (DH's kids that I adopted to make them mine) middle 2 are 11.5 months to the day apart.
mamato5angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:44 AM   #20
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My MW told me that I would be amazed at how many PP moms come to their 6wk appt pregnant!! We were just using the w/d method after #3 and my MW made me take a pregnancy test JIC. My dad's gf got pregnant with her twins DDs while EBFing her 1st DS. B/c they were a little early she had 3 babies in less than 1yr! They were only 11 mos apart!