Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Runners!!! ? re: running outside vs. treadmill

As much as I love to run outside, I usually run on a treadmill so that I am close to home. (My dh is gone and my 10 year old watches the kids in the house. I need to be nearby just in case.)

I know that running outside vs. a treadmill is different. I want to start training for a 10K race that is in October. I will have to do most of my training on the treadmill, but at what point before the race should I take my running outside to get used to the environment and the terrain?

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Cristin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Runners!!! ? re: running outside vs. treadmill

I'm not sure of the best answer to your question, but I can tell you that running at a 1% incline on the treadmill is the closest thing to your average outdoor run. I know that's kind of random but I thought it may help you a little in trying to prepare for outside.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I was thinking more of the air conditioner factor. Can you run in the am?
Old 06-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
Psychomom
seller

My Mood:

I do run at 2% incline...thanks for that info.

I forgot to mention that my treadmill is in the garage, so there is no A/C, lol. When I said dh is gone I really meant gone--as in another state! He'll be back in September but until then, I've got to stay on the treadmill.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
graymojo
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would suggest Runner's magazine. They have lots of tricks...and I think a website. Maybe increase your incline a little? And vary it sometimes? I run on a treadmill. I go slower when I'm outside. Maybe go outside once or twice a week to start? I personally love 10k's even though I haven't done one in quite some time. After the second mile you feel like you can run forever.

www.turtleheadsteaandcoffee.com
graymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
I do run at 2% incline...thanks for that info.

I forgot to mention that my treadmill is in the garage, so there is no A/C, lol. When I said dh is gone I really meant gone--as in another state! He'll be back in September but until then, I've got to stay on the treadmill.
what about a box fan or something that would at least give you some 'wind' to stay cool?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
Psychomom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by graymojo View Post
I personally love 10k's even though I haven't done one in quite some time. After the second mile you feel like you can run forever.
LOL, I have never hit that "I can do this forever" point! I mean, I run 3 miles almost every day but I definitely want to quit! I've never run a 10K before but I have run a few 5Ks. The farthest distance I have run is 4.5 miles...I think I can do 10K, but the course is pretty hilly and I'm not used to hills.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
Cristin
Registered Users
seller
seller

This still doesn't answer your primary question, but this has a few random points on it. http://www.marathon-training-schedule.com/treadmill-running.html
I just googled "treadmill" and "10k" and a lot of good links came up. There were plenty of people who said they did most of their training on a treadmill so I bet you'll be fine as long as you can get outside for a long run occasionally.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
graymojo
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well, if it's pretty hilly and you're not used to hills, the treadmill can help because you can adjust the incline. Do intervals, but increase the incline instead of the speed. And you're always going to slow down on the hills. Have you considered a doubly jogger for your two lo's? I have that mil got me from a consignment shop. It's AMAZING! Carry a cell phone so the kids can call you and run circles around your neighborhood or out and back 3 times at a short distance instead of running straight out and back. You'll probably move slower with a jogger, but it's still good...and it takes some getting used to because you can't move your arms normally, but it's not bad.

I LOVE running, if you can't tell. My problem is that it's been hot lately, so we haven't run at all in about a month. (I LOVE cold weather running). I'm not trying to be a know it all. This stuff may not work for you. But I did a LOT of treadmill running when DS was younger, so I've been there.

www.turtleheadsteaandcoffee.com
graymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #10
Psychomom
seller

My Mood:

No, your advice is great! I do have a double jogging stroller. The problem is that I've tried to run out in my neighborhood with the girls on their bikes and the boys in the stroller, but my 5 year old cannot maneuver her bike well. There are a couple of sidewalks in our neighborhood that are very slanted and IMO are dangerous to walk on, much less ride a bike, so she rides in the street next to the curb (right in front of me) but it's pretty scary, especially going around this one big corner where cars tend to drive too fast. I'm constantly yelling at her to get on the sidewalk, now get down here, go faster, etc. I hate the yelling but first of all, it's my testosterone levels doing it when I run, and secondly, if I don't yell, she can't hear me over the roar of her training wheels on the road (she can't ride a 2 wheeler yet.)

I did load up my van with the bikes and stroller one day and drove to a trail, but that didn't work out quite so well, either. I had the stroller in the back of the van, shoved my 5 year old's bike up in the front passenger seat--vertically, and squeezed my 10 year old's bike behind the driver and passenger's seat but in front of the captain's chairs where my boys sit. (I don't have a bike mounting thingy, if you haven't guessed.) Anyway, we got to the trail, unloaded, got ready to go, and started. I loved it, the boys loved it, my 5 year old was doing great on the trail, but as we were going along, part of the trail was closed! It goes around a little man-made lake and part of the trail was closed due to high waters. It is STILL closed, months later! The trail is only a 1.8 mile circle and I thought I'd run it 1.5 times, stopping at the playground for the kids, but we ended up stopping before 1 mile because it was closed. Plus, I'm not sure how long my 5 year old can ride for.