Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
Deanner03
"Life's tough. Get a helmet."
seller

My Mood:
I was assaulted at work today...

and dh is freaking out. A man came in to ask about services another patient was getting. I informed him that I couldn't even tell him if that person was a patient in the office or not, let alone give him specific information about it (we take privacy VERY seriously in our office). He continued to get more and more angry at me, I asked him to leave, and he picked up the coffee cup that we keep pens in at the window, and threw it at me. It hit me right under my left eye. There's a little bruise, but only DH and I really know it's there (I have rosy red cheeks anyway!).
Dh is spazzing out, saying I should quit my job, etc. I tried to explain to him that these things could happen ANYWHERE (workplace violence can occur in ANY place).
What would you tell your dh if this happened???? How do I make him feel more comfortable with me working???

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Ladycop79
Registered Users
seller

Re: I was assaulted at work today...

I have been shot at at work but my DH doesn't seem to be bothered by it! Granted he has been bombed and shot at at work too, so he probably has me beat out on danger at work. But, still? Shouldn't be worry about me a bit?

I am SOOOO sorry that this person assaulted you. Are you pressing charges? It is a misdemeanor but you should definitly do it. It puts YOU in charge of the situation and shows that man that he can't treat people wrong.

And as far as your DH, first, be happy that he loves you so much! (Not saying mine doesn't...his job just puts mine in a wierd perspective...LOL) Second, if you like your job and your workplace backs you up in any legal action you chose to do and supports a safe work environment, I vote for you staying put. This truly could happen anywhere! My uncle works at the plastics factory in KY that had an employee get upset over a supervisor making him wear eye protection and came back, killing 6. The job or the work place has nothing to do with whether someone will go crazy. (Obviously there are certain jobs with higher risks but I would say that a medical office is pretty safe in the big picture...)

Old 06-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Deanner03
seller

My Mood:

I went to the police station and filed a report. I didn't know the guy, and we don't have cameras so they don't know if they'll be able to find him.He threw the cup and ran away. Work is very supportive. I tried to explain to him that it could happen ANYWHERE. I actually felt more threatened working with some of the dementia patients at the hospital (a LOT more threatened). Oh well...crap happens.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
Ladycop79
Registered Users
seller

I know that police departments don't normally "investigate" misdemeanors but pressure the officer that the report is assigned to to look into it if you want to prosecute. I bet the person that he was trying to find out information on knows who he is!
Old 06-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
Deanner03
seller

My Mood:

Unfortunately, I can't/won't release that patient's name. I work at Planned Parenthood, and live in a TINY town. I don't give names.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
iKim
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG Sweetie. Thats horrible. What a jerk. ugh, that pisses me off, your such a sweetie.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #7
AtoZMomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

SS that happened to you! You're right--it could happen anywhere. Surely things like that don't happen often...maybe remind your dh of that. Something like that could've happened walking down the street if you encountered an angry/irrational person.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #8
sarahrichardson
Registered Users

Oh, hugs. That is so hard. When I was in college a guy I was working in a group with harassed me for about a month and then hit me with a safety cone. I had to report him to the professor. It way upset me and really pissed DH off. He flipped out. One thing the professor told me which was true (even though I didn't buy it at first) was to be careful unloading on your husband over and over about the incident. The prof. was a speech/comm person and he suggested I talk to friends or a therapist b/c husbands want to "do" something and it can compound the stress of the situation. Discuss it briefly but then try to change to subject b/c it can make it harder on both of you. It held true. I would unload on a close friend and my mom and it was less stressful than talking to him b/c he would get all upset, and that would feed my being upset. I would def. get the police involved.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

that is so bizarre!

I'm glad DH is protective of you! PP is right, men want to "fix" stuff so he's probably mostly mad that someone hurt you and he can't do anything to make it better!

Would it reassure DH if you let him know you'd call the police if that guy ever returned?

Last edited by ChocolateMoose; 07-01-2008 at 07:12 PM.
ChocolateMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:33 PM   #10
Deanner03
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateMoose View Post
that is so bizarre!

I'm glad DH is protective of you! PP is right, men want to "fix" stuff so he's probably mostly mad that someone hurt you and he can't do anything to make it better!

Would it reassure DH if you let him know you'd call the police if that guy ever returned?
That's it in a nutshell. He felt powerless. I assured him that if the man ever returned, I wouldn't hesitate to push our panic alarm the SECOND he walked UP to the door!