Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Sleep Training! Help Please!

So my 10mo can fall asleep on her own... if she is in her carseat... other than that is is a fight to get her to sleep and to get ther to stay asleep. She is still waking 1-3 times a night needing mommy to rock her back to sleep. And I can not "lay her down drowsy" and let her fall asleep on her own. Many times, even in our (meaning me usually... she doesn't even like daddy putting her down) arms she will go through 2-3 crying fits to try to keep herself awake. She has been fighting sleep since she was a newborn...

Now all that being said... I an NOT a fan (personally) of the Cry it Out method of sleep training. But I am coming to the end of my rope! I need to find something that works for her...

This is our current routines:

AM nap - rock and sing to sleep
Afternoon nap - Bottle + Rock and sing to sleep
Nighttime - Bath, Bottle, Book + Rock and sing to sleep
During the night - Rock to sleep (sometime sing if just rocking doesn't work)

I used to have an iPod playing instrumental/classical lullabies softly in her room, but we stopped that 2 nights ago...

Advertisement

Old 07-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
waitingtobe
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Sleep Training! Help Please!

You could try the No Cry Sleep Solution...we haven't done it (we used CIO) but others have said that it worked for them.

Other than that I think that is all you can do...Hugs to you mamma!

Check out my Mommy Blog at www.andbrooklynmakesthress.blogspot.com
waitingtobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is almost 1 (already!!), still needs to be nursed to sleep, and still wakes up several times at night. It's normal! I don't like CIO either. Sorry, I don't have any magic solution for you, but it will not last forever! I agree with the recommendation for the No Cry Sleep Solution, it's not a quick fix, but with persistence I hear it works great

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is turning one at the end of the month!
She wakes up several times a night, nurses to sleep and ect. It won't last forever, but I've also heard great thinks about the no cry sleep solution. I am actually pretty used to interrupted sleep.. And I have no idea what it would feel like to sleep through the night...but someday I'll get that. I haven't sleep entire night since I was pregnant with my DD.

It will get better! My 3 year old sleeps great at night now..he sleeps like a log!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well at least I am glad to know she is not the only one... I will have to look up the no cry sleep solution. It finally got to the point that I had to wake DH up last night to rock with her because I still had not been to bed at 2:30am... and of course he was late to work this morning because of it...
Old 07-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'll probably have a lot of people flame me for this, but the best book I EVER read was "Healthy Sleep Habit, Happy Child". Yes we let our girls CIO...did they suffer? NO. They are well-adjusted, happy, independent children who get the rest they need. The only night that was hard was the first night. They cried no longer than 15 minutes, and every night got better after that. After 3 or 4 nights they were going to sleep on their own, and sleeping 12 hours through the night. They were between 5-6 months old, and EBF babies.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katengrace View Post
I'll probably have a lot of people flame me for this, but the best book I EVER read was "Healthy Sleep Habit, Happy Child". Yes we let our girls CIO...did they suffer? NO. They are well-adjusted, happy, independent children who get the rest they need. The only night that was hard was the first night. They cried no longer than 15 minutes, and every night got better after that. After 3 or 4 nights they were going to sleep on their own, and sleeping 12 hours through the night. They were between 5-6 months old, and EBF babies.
I hope you don't get flamed. I know many people who have used CIO effectively... it just isn't for us...
Old 07-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
Mytwoboys08
Registered Users
seller

sounds like our first son! and looks like our next son will be the same way!! exactly like you, didn't like the cio method at all, but we tried just about everything else. a good friend of mine has children who had the same sleeping probs said she thinks it's just the way they're made-either they are sleepers or they're not!! and i totally think she's right!
good luck! and yep-you've got company in the sleepless nights dept!! (unfortunately!!)

Last edited by Mytwoboys08; 07-01-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Mytwoboys08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytwoboys08 View Post
sounds like our first son! and looks like our next son will be the same way!! exactly like you, didn't like the cio method at all, but we tried just about everything else. a good friend of mine who's children had the same sleeping probs said she thinks it's just the way they're made-either they are sleepers or they're not!! and i totally think she's right!
good luck! and yep-you've got company in the sleepless nights dept!! (unfortunately!!)
Apparently DH was not a good sleeper as infant/toddler... and I was (well still am) a terrible sleeper after the toddler years...

So i guess it was inevitable that we would have a non-sleeper...
Old 07-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I guess the way I feel about it is if you're going to enforce night waking by going to them and nursing, etc. then you are going to have a night waker. Plain and simple. Some people don't mind it, but I did. And it sounds as though you may be getting tired of it as well. You've got to think about it this way, you can't be frustrated at a baby who you have trained to be this way. If you don't want her waking at night then stop enforcing it.