Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy I'm feeling the guilt

I am feeling so terribly guilty right now because I stopped BF my baby just a few days ago. I have tried BF all of my babies and the longest I've ever lasted was 4 months, at which point my milk dried up because I had had so many infections. I get mastitis every time and then I get thrush because of the antibiotics from the mastitis. And then I usually get mastitis again, and yeast over & over & over again, and my babies have all had thrush & been miserable not wanting to nurse because their mouth hurts. I know I have yeast issues and I have done what I can to take control of my yeast issues, but I got mastitis once again last week and just felt defeated because I knew that the antibiotics would cause thrush. On top of that, I've never ever breastfed and not had it be extremely painful. I've seen lots & lots of LC's and tried everything to get the pain to go away, but it has never been a latch issue. When I go to LC's, they pretty much tell me that they don't know how to help me because the baby's latch is good. My nipples apparently have their own issue. I've done lots of research yesterday and today and I've diagnosed myself with nipple vasospasm. Anyway, I am FF DS now and feeling incredibly guilty. I cried and cried when I gave him his first bottle, which was on Thursday last week when he was exactly 3 wks old. So, I just need some support.

Advertisement

stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm feeling the guilt

Oh mama, I went through something similar. Dont feel bad. You have to do what works for YOU and YOUR FAMILY!!!!! Just because you dont BF doesnt mean you dont love your children any less!
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

please dont feel guilty. I was able to nuse dd until 11 months but then she HAD to go on formula because of her GI issues. She isnt allowed to eat anything and she is 18 months. Its hard but its ok...these babies need to eat and if its formula or goats milk or momma;s milk...who cares so long as the baby is being fed. Its obvious you care or you wouldnt have posted. Keep up the good work, your baby will be just fine no matter what you choose. Is it possible to pump some, that way baby still gets some bm??
Old 07-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
Deanner03
"Life's tough. Get a helmet."
seller

My Mood:

mama! DO NOT FEEL GUILTY. You don't have to explain your decision to anyone. ALSO, it's better to have a mama who is up to par and ready to take care of her babies than to sacrifice all that to bf (if that's what it's come down to). We all do the best we can for our families. Just because you feed a baby from a bottle doesn't mean you love him/her any less!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all for your kind words. It's so nice to have this FF forum... so often all I see are BF support groups, but right now I feel like I need support too, so thank you so much!
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
megpie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i went through this guilt with my twins, too. i nursed them for 1 month, along with supplementing expressed milk, until they started rejecting the breast. i was so exhausted by this time with nursing them both, pumping and feeding expressed milk, and taking care of my 3 y/o with about 2 hours of sleep a day, while dh is deployed, that i did not have the energy to hunker down and get things going again. the important thing to remember is that you are a good mama! breastfeeding is not the easiest thing in the world to do even if you don't have any issues at all! just applaud yourself for having made it this far! you did great mama! if you need to talk about anything, you can pm me!
megpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
MisanthropeKitty
Registered Users

dont feel bad mama. i am extremely pro-bf but there are always exceptions to the rules and it seems like you tried everything before giving up!
MisanthropeKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:47 PM   #8
ephah
Registered Users
seller

I've had extreme trouble with all three of my kids... with the first two it was so terribly painful and I lasted 3 months with #1 and 3 weeks with #2. I felt so horribly guilty about that. Then with #3 I tried so hard and finally got it... until my milk supply diminished and the baby was failing to thrive. I felt like my body had betrayed me and him. You can only do so much and no one has the right to judge you for what you've done, because everyone's situation is different and not everyone is able to breastfeed, whatever those boob nazi's say. It's always been such a touchy subject for me, too, but at the end of the day my boys are just as smart and just as healthy as the breastfed babies we come in contact with on a daily basis.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
Mytwoboys08
Registered Users
seller

lots of hugs mama! i recognize you from due in may board i think!
try your best to not feel guilty...i know that's easier said than done though...but like a pp said, you're obviously a great mama or you wouldn'tbe so upset. i have battled mastitis and it is horrible and i didn't get thrush on top of that!!!

mama-i had to cut my last post short....i wANTED to clarify that i had one bout of mastitis with ds1 and 2 each....not multiple bouts like you!!!

Last edited by Mytwoboys08; 07-09-2008 at 07:10 AM.
Mytwoboys08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #10
scootermae16
Registered Users

Mama guilt is the worst thing isn't it? Don't beat yourself up over this. You are doing a great job! Mothering is more than just BF. While I totally support BF, sometimes it just doesn't work. I had to give up BF my son when he was six months after months of elimination dieting and still no relief with the blood in his stool. He was switched Neocate and has been good ever since. It broke my heart (and still does) that I stopped. But, I needed to do what was best for him.
Your health and well being are very important. You've done a great job with your kids and at least they have gotten some BM. Some is better than none. Take it easy and relax. Your baby will be okay....and you will be a happy mama because you won't be in nipple pain.
scootermae16 is offline   Reply With Quote