Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2006, 08:23 PM   #11
Meisubaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The Truth about the Pocket Diaper -great article

Sounds like someone is trying to capitolize on everyone elses profits! To me thats like saying no else on earth can make a turtleneck! For petes sake its an article of clothing thats crapped in! Who does she think she is by charging other WAHMs for something she probably stole the idea from when she started out!? YOu don't see Pampers sueing Huggies cuz they both use the same chemicals in their diapers! Sheesh just let everyone try to save the earth by using cloth diapers and quit trying to profit from other WAHMs for something that ISN'T patented!

Advertisement

Meisubaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:29 PM   #12
treecitydiapers
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasterBun
Wonderoos doesn't have a patent, they are licensed under the pocket patent.
Wonderoos don't have a patent and they are NOT licensed.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:38 PM   #13
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok I am not a pocket maker, and I will leave tht to the professionals... LIke FF LOL....
But i am under the impression that a patnet on this type of thing is only good for 7 years. so basically she has only 1 year or so left then it becomes public knowledge. The same way that medicine only holds a patent ofr like 2 years, then there is a TON of generics. It give the maker of hte product time to capitolize and make money for inventing a new thing, but after awhile it is a daily household term, ( like for us CD mamas) and ppl will make their own and sell them.

I do not agree with the way this was worked. but it really doenst effect me personnaly. but it has effected ppl in teh CD world who are trying to stay home iwth their kdis and they have to sell a ton of diapers in order to make it happen. I was going ot use the Very baby pattern or Cuddle buns and get a cottage licence, but decided i would make my own so I dont have to pay someone over 300 per year which would force me to spend less time with my kids, so I could sew to make up the difference...
Old 05-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #14
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Does this mean that the (adorable) WAHM pocket diapers I bought of ebay are contraband?

Am I going to get in trouble when I try to re-sell them?
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:13 PM   #15
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

the link didnt work for me neither, but this is all interesting, thanks for posting it Val
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:25 AM   #16
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wow! Interesting!! So what can be done about this now?!
Old 05-10-2006, 07:14 AM   #17
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for posting the text, Kelly!
I wanted to make it easy and quick with the link, but I guess somethings strange w/that, that some of us can see it and some don't.

Anyway, I thought it's an interesting thing to read...
Old 05-10-2006, 08:49 AM   #18
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Very interesting.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:15 AM   #19
RachelFlores
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooey
Does this mean that the (adorable) WAHM pocket diapers I bought of ebay are contraband?

Am I going to get in trouble when I try to re-sell them?
Yes, the ebay sellers are probably violating the patent but, no you won't get in trouble when you try to resale them. Resale of used merchandise is not covered under ANY patent.

I've looked into this and I know that Happy Heiny's fought it in court and the judge upheld the patent and I seriously doubt that another judge will overturn that rulling so unless there is ANOTHER argument that Happy Heiny's didn't use to make the pocket diaper patent invalid then there is no recourse.

The patent covers any diaper with a water resistant outer, stay dry inner, and opening on a leading edge sooo a lot of things don't need a patent:
fitted pockets
pockets with velour or flannel inners
diapers where the "pocket" opening is at least one inch below the front or back edge
RachelFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:36 AM   #20
milniks7
Registered Users
seller

this is interesting..and I wanted to say..I have 7 kids..all cloth diapered. The first two wore gerber prefolds with pins and rubber pants, then the third did as well..then one day I was shopping in marshall's( not sure if that is only a local store..name brands for less?..lol) anyway, found two bags of diapers that had velcro and a pocket for stuffers..and they had a waterproof cover..I had never seen anything like it! They were Duckhead diapers...as soon as I saw the pic I remembered them exactly! So weird..this was in 1993...they did not work well and they wicked constantly so I got rid of them and went back to pins and rubber pants thru the next 2 babies..and with number 6 4 years ago rediscovered the fitted dipe...so it is true that pockets existed long ago..i used them! Wish I still had some, but I got rid of them at a yard sale! I would love to look them over...I make my own pockets quite often now and would love to sell them but cannot afford a license, went thru that with honeyBoy and Cuddlebuns and i never really made a profit!

Nikki
mom to 7 great kids
milniks7 is offline   Reply With Quote