Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2008, 05:31 AM   #1
momto2and2
Registered
sitesupporter
seller

Help me sort through this - are these signs?

DD will be 6 months tomorrow. She was 4 weeks early. She was on reflux meds until about a month ago when I weaned her off - with the okay from the dr. She had the hiccups a few times more than normal but no real signs that she still needed it. She has been drinking 4 oz at a setting for what seems to be forever. She started sleeping from about 10 until 7ish at about 3 months. She would wake occasionally but nothing consistent. At times, during her feedings, (daytime) she will down the 4 oz and I will make another 2 oz. Sometimes she will take it sometimes she won't. Often if she does she will spit up. She is still eating every 3 hours. The last few nights she has been waking during the night like about 2ish in the morning and just not settling back to sleep. I have feed her and she will down 4 oz and go back to sleep until about 7 or so. I don't have an issue with that, but I am beginning to assume that she just isn't getting enough during the day. I didn't plan on starting solids this early, but what do I do if she really needs more but can't take more than 4 or 5 oz at a time without spitting up. My other reason for assuming it is because she needs more is because she has been sleeping thru the night for 3 months.

Any ideas? Am I totally off base? Suggestions?

THANKS

Advertisement

Last edited by momto2and2; 07-02-2008 at 02:08 PM.
momto2and2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:24 AM   #2
shannong
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help me sort throgh this - are these signs?

How is her weight gain?

Both of my boys have had servire reflux and have been on meds for it. they were also both FTT at one point because of it.

How many ounces does she get in 1 day? I would ask the pedi if you could maybe mix her formula up so that it is 24 cal. an ounce vs 20 cal. an ounce. (per can instructions) So to make it 24 cal. an ounce you would add an extra tsp. to 3 oz. This is what we had to do because my boys couldn't handle the extra volume, but they needed the calories. They would spit it all up too. Again I would ask the pedi before I did any of this, but our pedi nutritionist told us to do that and it has worked out well.

Shannon
Old 07-02-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if she is waking to eat, its possible she is going though a growth spurt. i believe my dr said 3,6,9 and 12 months they usually have growth spurts. If it lasts more than a week or so then you might want to consider adding more to the day time, or possibly some babyfood...
Old 07-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
momto2and2
Registered
sitesupporter
seller

Her weight gain has been fine. A month ago she was about 14.5 lbs. The dr was fine with it. I think she was in the 25th percentile. She isn't a big spitter. If she drinks just the 4 oz she is fine, but if I try to get an extra oz or 2 in she spits - I think she is basically spitting that extra that I added. I assumed that when she downed the 4 oz that she was ready for more. Before she goes to bed she does take 6 oz and seems fine. She takes about 26 oz a day. I personally didn't think that was much, but the dr seemed to think it was fine. We have twins that just turned 3. DS woke up forever at night to eat. He was over one when he finally stopped. He ate though. A few times he woe up and didn't want to and that is when we determined it was a habit and worked on it. The fact that she drinks the 4 oz at night tells me she needs it - she is hungry. I have read that if you up their daytime amount their sleep won't be bothered. I just don't know how to do that since she can't take in anymore at one setting.

Any more suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannong View Post
How is her weight gain?

Both of my boys have had servire reflux and have been on meds for it. they were also both FTT at one point because of it.

How many ounces does she get in 1 day? I would ask the pedi if you could maybe mix her formula up so that it is 24 cal. an ounce vs 20 cal. an ounce. (per can instructions) So to make it 24 cal. an ounce you would add an extra tsp. to 3 oz. This is what we had to do because my boys couldn't handle the extra volume, but they needed the calories. They would spit it all up too. Again I would ask the pedi before I did any of this, but our pedi nutritionist told us to do that and it has worked out well.

Shannon
momto2and2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
dkg354boy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me sort through this - are these signs?

My little one was having the same problems, She too was a month early and has really bad reflux. She was only eatting 24 oz a day and was having problems with baby food. At her six month the Dr said she really needed to be eatting baby food because the 25 ozs was not enough. She is pretty small also, only 11 lbs at 6 month check up. Anyway i started making her baby food mayself and she has been doing great with that, she loves her food. However she started waking up at night also between 3 and 4am everynight. I finally found that i need to just let her cry. It took a few nights of her crying for about 30 mins for her to realise that she needed to sleep and has been sleeping from 7 to 7 ever since. I am loving it. I really think she just wanted that bonding time and got us to having it. We are all creatures of habit. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Christine
dkg354boy2 is offline   Reply With Quote