Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
LanesMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
when to start solids

I know all of the stuff that the AAP recommends and what the ped. says and then there is my MOTHER! UGH! All I hear everyday is when you were a baby we started you on solids at 2 weeks old (rice cereal) and DH has 2 kids from a previous marriage and he thinks I should pump and add cereal to a bottle... DS is almost 4 months and keeps trying to grab my silverware from my hand if I am holding him when I am eating so my arguments don't seem to carry much validity any more. Reluctantly I have given him cereal a few times... at first he seems to enjoy it and then he gets fussy so I let him tell me when he has had enough... am I a bad momma for doing this? This is my first baby and everytime I think I am doing something right someone gets me thinking the other way... any suggestions please but don't make me feel worse about this (nice comments only please!)

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
missykay
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: when to start solids

I was sort of in the same situation. My family kept pushing me to start solids at 4months. At the time he was teething (he had 2 teeth by 4.5 months!!) and wasn't sleeping well AT ALL. I finally just lied and said that I was worried about upsetting his stomach. I told them that I didn't want to risk making it even more difficult for him to sleep. The truth was that I didn't want to start him on solids before 6 months but no one would respect that choice.
Your LO reaching for food and silverware isn't the only thing you need to look for. He/she should be able to sit up unassisted, have a developed pincher grasp (grip between thumb and first finger), and have lost the tongue thrust reflex. It takes all of those traits to show that a child is ready for solids. Starting before those things are present leaves them more prone to food allergies and digestive difficulties. Those traits being present is nature/God's way (whatever your belief system is ) of telling parents that the child is ready.
Stick to your guns and do what you think is right. It's your child, no one else is responsible for him.
Forever missing Yuen Tien (12-9-11)
The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3
missykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
Happygrl6
Registered Users
seller

If he hasn't met the readiness signs, I see no reason to start. And I wouldn't bother with arguments. It doesn't sound like they want to hear them. I'd just state your decision and say that you're going by what the medical community says is best, say it isn't up for discussion and, if ti DOES come up, change the topic/leave the room/hang up the phone/whatever.

ISO Boyish Side-snapping AI2s in Mediums, especially Grasshoppers diapers
Happygrl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
momtoamiracle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my mom was the same way. Always pushing me to put food in his bottle. I did start him on cereal at 5.5 mnth, but he showed all of the signs of readiness. I didn't feed him any until then. Believe me, until your dying day there will be SOMEONE who is telling you what you SHOULD do.

my mom drives me nuts. Makes me even crazier that I am nearly 41 yrs old and even tho it's my first child - I am way more equipped to deal with a baby than she was with her first at 19! She can't accept tho how things have changed in the last 40 yrs...

you're not the only one is that boat. Just stick to what you know is right for YOUR baby.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
goyazite21
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know EXACTLY how you feel. MIL and my step-mom(who doesn't even have any LOs BTW) both made comments about how much Forrest was getting besides breastmilk when he was about 5 months. My step-mom even said "Are you sure it is healthy for him to have only breastmilk" Aside from a bite or two of cereal he didn't start solids everyday until about 8 1/2 to 9 months(and he was a chunky 23 lbs). Even honestly then he could have waited longer, he is still way more interested in nursing. I have always kind of wondered why so many ppl expected babies to "eat" when they didn't have teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by missykay View Post
He/she should be able to sit up unassisted, have a developed pincher grasp (grip between thumb and first finger), and have lost the tongue thrust reflex. It takes all of those traits to show that a child is ready for solids. Starting before those things are present leaves them more prone to food allergies and digestive difficulties.
I have read this alot and completely agree that grabbing at your spoon is not the only deciding factor for when to start solids. Just do what it takes to keep them off your back if you feel the need, and do what YOU feel is the right thing for your LO.

YOU ARE A WONDERFUL MOMMY!! Just the fact that you care so much says a lot, don't beat yourself up just love your baby!

Last edited by goyazite21; 06-27-2008 at 09:27 PM.
goyazite21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
borabora511
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyazite21 View Post
I have read this alot and completely agree that grabbing at your spoon is not the only deciding factor for when to start solids. Just do what it takes to keep them off your back if you feel the need, and do what YOU feel is the right thing for your LO.!
My DS grabs for the remote- does that mean that he's ready for TV... umm.. nope.. Mama, you're doing a great job- just don't let them buldoze you into doing something you aren't comfortable with...
Old 06-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
C-MaeMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

do what YOU think is best, even though you're a 1st time mom like pp stated there will always be SOMEONE who knows it all...they don't! You know whats best for your baby (even if you're not sure) and go with what YOU want or think is best. People will always have a different opinion on EVERYTHING you're going to do in your childs life, don't let it get the best of you.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #8
Mama2b2Caden
FSOT Needs Resolved,DO NOT B/S/T
seller

My Mood:

I totally hear you!!!

Not only does my mother constantly tell me about how when I was younger this and that (EVERYTHING she did, I DONT do, and I think she takes it as this huge insult. And its not like she can say, "Well you turned out fine, didnt you?" Because I didnt! I had cancer at 24, and get hives all the time, have stomach issues, poor vision....not to mention my chronic fatigue!) So I find out from my little sister that she has been giving him tastes of food. Well, ok so it wnt kill him be she gives him tastes of things like ice cream, her chocolate shake, the cream from a canoli, and hes allergic to cows milk!

So when my last job didnt let me pump and my milk supply diminished, right when Caden was goingthrough his 6m growth spurt, I decided I better give him something else to eat so he wasnt starving all the time. I tried a little rice ceral, and a few other things, baby applesauce, home made baby food like carrots and sweet potatoes, prunes- because the ceral seemed to stop him up...I've been giving him stuff here and there for the last 2 weeks but honestly, he is not ready.

First off- he doesn't sit yet, and he doesnt pinch stuff yet, and he could care less about food. He didnt seem to enjoy it except two times he liked the applesauce. And his tummy really hurt the next day and he didnt poop. And the then next day when he DID poop, there were little chunks of solid poop, when normally its typical BF liquidy pooh, and it was dark brown, which leads me to the worst part of starting solids, and the reason I'm going to hold off a few more months...... :

IT STAINED HIS FLUFF! It was just the insert of a Mutt AI2 and it bleached and sunned out but STILL! It was my first stain ever and NOT worth it!

Good luck mama, you're the mama, its your baby, you are in charge.
Lisa Rene: Grateful, Gentle, Single Mama to my Dream Come True, Caden Isaac born 12-18-07: Still Nursing and still Rear Facing! I'm BACK in School! Earning a 2nd Degree as a Registered Nurse!But would rather be
Register to SHOP Designer Boutiques and get $10 FREE for You and Me! Rue La La
Mama2b2Caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:45 AM   #9
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

Dd is 10 months and just now getting really into solids, which is perfectly fine with me. There's no reason to push babies to grow up so fast, and solids are just for experimenting the first year anyway. She hated purees and cereals though she would eat a little of both, but now that she has teeth and can eat animal crackers and cheerios and feed them to herself, even eating purees I can see a difference in her level of desire for them. While she would just eat a little before, now she acts like she is enjoying eating. Most non-Western cultures don't start solids until 9-12 months.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:53 AM   #10
mickee311
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I started solids with Xander at 4.5 months and now wish I hadn't. For selfish reasons, really. EBF poo cleans better, smells better, I don't have to worry aabout my milk supply.....But, he was showing all the signs, tongue thrust reflex gone, reaching for food, making chewing movements when watching us eat, sits supported, blah blah blah. That being said, he doesn't eat a whole bunch, he has fruit in the midday and either a fruit or veg in the evening. I still wish I hadn't started. I believe by starting him on solids is the reason I think PPAF is almost here. I don't see how, since he nurses the same amount, but I think I ovulated early last week and I'm having cramps last night and today. Boo.
mickee311 is offline   Reply With Quote