Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
tinab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
WOHMs is this a fair rate?

I am going to be meeting with a teacher about watching her son. He will be 7 months old when she goes back to work next month. She CD's and breastfeeds , I am trying to figure out what to charge her for childcare. Other than my 2 kids, he will be the only one I watch.
I was thinking about $125 a week, possibly more if I meet her to pick him up in the mornings (which would cut 20 minutes or so off of her commute and make her mornings less rushed). Does that sound fair? I was thinking of offering to just use some of DD's prefolds for while he is here so she won't have to haul a wetbag full of dipes, or just washing hers when I wash DD's so she can just leave some here. I will provide food once he is on solids (anything to try and make it easier on her, I remember trying to remember everything I needed to bring). I am trying to be fair to both her and myself. I am actually excited, even if it doesn't work out as a gig for me, from talking to her I feel like we could become friends.
I remember some of working was so hard and want to make the transition easy on both of them, so that's why I figured I'd offer diapers, then all she has to remember is her expressed milk, which she could leave here when she picks him up.
Is there anything else I should offer to do? Does that sound like a fair rate? Most daycares around here start off at $175 a week and for one that will give more one on one it is well over $200 a week. AND they seem to not want to do cloth diapers and the pumped milk bothers some of them.

Thanks for any and all input ladies!

Advertisement

Soon to be TTC #3; the final chapter!
Moola Invites

Last edited by tinab; 07-02-2008 at 06:43 PM.
tinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
wobitnobby
Registered Users

Re: WOHMs is this a fair rate?

Just one question - why don't you live near me??? You sound like a great childcare provider. I would totally pay extra to have my child picked up - that's a huge convenience.

Back on target - your rates sound very typical for my area, but I know they vary a lot across my state so that might not be meaningful. Can you check out what local home daycares are charging in your neighborhood?
full time student, crunchy wife to my woodsy man, and mom to Anja Rose born at home 12/26/07 cautiously expecting #2 in early May 2010 while nursing my toddler 100% CD in prefolds, flats, and my own handknit wool
wobitnobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

SAHM care here is usually MORE than childcare because of the low ratio. My nanny/childcare provider did very similar things that you are describing. Also depends whether or not you will be filing taxes - taxes take a huge hit, so if it is reported the employer usually help at during tax season with a bonus. If childcare charges $200 - I would charge her at least $175 (it also depends on how much she can afford and how much you want this gig.) Keep in mind gas prices if you need to pick-up her son. If you do pick up, are you planning to help her out with any household chores? Bottles, dishes, Bfast? If so you could definitely charge more - lots more like $225/wk. (Again depends on if she can afford it). My nanny also washed CD for son - I paid for new CDs for my son and a couple more for her stash (same cost of electricity if you have a machine). She washed CD at her place and DS was in cloth while with her. Saved me a bundle - didn't realize how much until I she got preg and I had to find new nanny.

Last edited by Mommimi; 07-03-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Mommimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Around here (suburban Indianapolis), less than a year childcare is somewhere between $180 and 200 a week. The Goddard School wants $250 a week. I think $125 is more than fair!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
tfjjmc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG yes!!! I would be thrilled to have you. The rate you are offering is very low... Not to mention the service that you are providing is above and beyond what most would provide. Good luck I hope it works out for you.
tfjjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #6
tinab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much for the input. My friend charges $175 a week for her at home care. She used to charge us $125 for our DD#1, so I thought that was a fair price. I only want to watch him so I can make sure all of the kids get individualized attention. With her being a teacher, I don't want to charge her something that's too much. My aunt is a teacher (high school music) and they don't seem like they get paid enough for what they do. Maybe I can start off with a number and we can tweak it together. I really would like to finally watch a kid with a non flake parent and who isn't emotionally damaged! The little girl and boy I have (only 2 days a week and it's DH's friends kids) for the summer are being so screwed up by the custody battle and mothers physically abusive BF. A little baby would be so nice.
I guess my mom is right, I really do undervalue myself. That's how I got priced out of going back to work after having #2, I sold auto parts for 10 years and was really underpaid. I just want to make it fair and easy for her too. I know how hard it was to find someone to watch DD#1 and to swing the daycare payments and everything I needed to do and remember.
I can't wait for next Thursday!
Soon to be TTC #3; the final chapter!
Moola Invites
tinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I think you are undercutting yourself. What time of day is she picking up the baby? What time is drop off? I realize that you have an affinity for teachers, but it is still work, especially if you have to pack up your children to meet her. Don't undervalue your experience.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here in Columbus I pay $140/week for in-home care, so $125 sounds great!

eta - since she's a teacher (as am I), you'll want to figure out the specifics of school breaks - I pay for care over winter and spring break, even though dd stays home with me, but I only pay for 1 day/week in the summer, and dd goes there, to stay "in the groove" of the place so she doesn't freak out in the fall.

Last edited by Katherine; 07-04-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Bot Girl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good question, PP!

OP - Is she going to pay you when she's on vacation? If not, you might want to charge a little more weekly to compensate. Maybe just $135.

I personally think you are doing the right thing, Mama. I love that you are taking into consideration that this lady is a teacher, and wanting to charge a fair rate based on her income and the fact that she does such an important job. I wish everyone would do business with their customer's needs in mind.

That said, don't put yourself out, too much. I think picking her child up is a little much.
Bot Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobitnobby View Post
Just one question - why don't you live near me??? You sound like a great childcare provider.
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote