Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Switching from formula to Milk (cows, rice, goats, soy..whatever)

DD is 10mos old. She is my only baby that has ever been able to tolerate a milk based formula (we use good start & gentlease). We started her on baby food around 5mos & she quickly got bored of the firsts so we moved to the 2nds by 7mos, she had 3 4 teeth by then & by 8mos was eating finger foods. She hates most of the 3rds & prefers bite sized table food or anything that isnt mushy & has 5 (working on 6th) teeth.

So.... I'd say now at 10mos we are on about 28oz formula per day and solid food wise she is on about 75% table food. My question is, when did YOU start transitioning your baby to something other than formula (whatever kind.. cows, rice, etc.)? I'd like to do a really slow transition since my other girls had lactose issues & we have been lucky enough not to encounter that so far with Ava. I do NOT intend to replace her formula 100% at this point, I am just considering slowing introducing regular milk over the next 2mos when she will be on 100% whole milk at 12mos.

Advertisement

rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Switching from formula to Milk (cows, rice, goats, soy..whatever)

our dr has always said to START the transiton at 12 months
Old 07-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didnt transition DS off of formula until he was 25 months. DD is 18 months and still on formula.. she got breastmilk (with formula supplements) until she self weaned at 17 months, and now she is on just formula. Id like to keep er on formula till she is 2ish and eating a more consistent diet like I did with DS.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
TLBW31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first was off formula and onto whole milk at 10 months but this second dd is 16 months and still on formula. We do whole milk at meals sometimes though.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
Swimmingly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you are afraid of lactose issues why would you want to start introducing milk earlier than 1 year?

My Ped said no milk until 1 year and we would talk about it at her 12 mo check up. I don't plan to move off formula until at least 12 months. DD gets maybe an ounce of water every couple of days, but otherwise only has formula to drink.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #6
ustasmom
Registered Users
seller

We were told not to switch until the baby has a good source for iron. My LO had weaned herself at 10 months. She started eating everything in sight right at one year. Then I gave her raw milk in her bottle. After that, if we gave her formula, she would throw it. So she told us when she was ready to switch.
ustasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
LadybugMom757
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm starting now, dd just turned 1. I've been giving her formula in her bottle at wake-time and bed-time, and goat milk during the day for lunch/snack. I'm okay with her keeping at least one formula feeding for a couple more months, though. I decided on goat's milk b/c I tend to have lactose issues, and I've heard it's common when transitioning for babies to have problems digesting straight cow's milk.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dont have lactose concerns with Ava. My 3 other girls all had issues with milk based formulas. DD #1 was on soy till 1yr & transitioned fine, DD#2 was on lactose free formula till 1yr & lactaid milk until she was over 5yrs old. DD #3 was on soy formula till 12mos, soy milk till 15mos, lactaid till 21mos & then transitioned to whole milk. I just dont want to "jinx" myself by giving her whole milk if she isnt going to tolerate it, probably just cautious since the other girls had issues but Ava has shown no food sensitivities at all.

She also eats quite a bit of real food so I dont think that she would lack nutrients/vitamins. She is a very good eater & eats anything we give her. She just had some grilled chicken & pasta for dinner (with carrots & peas).

I've been giving her 1oz of whole milk in her bottle/sippy for the last few days & she hasnt had a reaction or dislike so far. I figured if I replaced 1oz a week, it would be a slow, 2 month transition to whole milk by 1yr.

Oh & I would also be using follow up formula for several months as well just to be sure that nutritional needs are being met I've got 2mos worth on hand already.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote