Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
fussybutt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Too Young to WEAN!!!! Nipple preference?

So I'm wondering if nipple preference could START at 4 1/2 months old.

I've been exclusively breastfeeding since birth and have run the gammot on issues. I STILL have thrush. I've had an overabundant supply, I've gone on a complete elimination diet. You name it, we've done it. BUT through everything little Gracie has been a very content nurser. She has seemed to want boobie ALL the time. At birth she was a tiny thing, in the 15th percentile (sorry about the mention of dreaded percentiles), and a few weeks early. Now she's a whopping 15 lbs 4oz, and in the 90th percentile!

We've also been giving her BM in bottles here and there since birth with no problems. I started working 2 months ago with no issues with bottles, switching to breast at night, or keeping up with supply.

I have had some issues at daycare with how much she is fed but I've always kept up with how much I pump, and actually have some left-overs, so I haven't put up too much of a fuss as long as Gracie's full and happy.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM. Daycare just increased her bottles from 5 1/2oz (which I thought was a TON anyway!) to 6oz. I was keeping up but last week my supply went down. I've been 3-4oz short everyday. A few days ago Grace started pulling off the breast and crying when I BF. And I mean PULLING off, shaking her head around while attached, and leaving me raw. She also come off and wants to latch back on, then off and on, off and on. I hurt so bad I started saying ouch, no, or just pulling my bra flap back up. She screamed everytime. Sometimes she even gets a mouthful of BM and then turns her head to spit it out, then on and off, and leaving a pool of BM all over. She just won't eat from me!

What the heck is wrong with us!!!! Please help!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by fussybutt; 07-02-2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: update
fussybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
randomacts
Registered Users

Re: Too Young to WEAN!!!! Nipple preference?

I am so sorry you are going through this!! It can be so frustrating!

Around 4.5 months, my DS wouldn't nurse like normal and would pull away all the time because he was SO distracted by everything around him. You might try nursing him laying down, or in a dark room to minimize the distraction if this is an issue.

My DS has a "favorite" boob (the right one) and has since birth. I increased my supply on the left by feeding him all night on the left since he was too sleepy to refuse. Maybe you should try that? I don't think he is trying to wean, but it could be a nursing strike.

Also, why is your daycare making the decision of how much to feed your baby? Is that normal? I am a SAHM so I am not sure that is normal. My DS rarely takes in more than 4oz at any given time when fed a bottle.

Thanks!
randomacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found with my kids it was never too late for nipple preference. My DD didn't really have any bottles until she was 6 months, but it was the beginning of the end for nursing. She eventually tapered off and I was just pumping a few times a day and she would only nurse first thing in the morning. But, your situation doesn't sound entirely like that.

But, just in case... Are you using a slow flow nipple and have you checked them? I know of some mamas who have found their day care providers making the holes in the nipples larger to make feedings go faster. A BF baby can stay on a newborn/slow flow nipple indefinitely. The only reason to change to a faster flow is for the convenience of the person serving the bottle.

This age can also be the beginning of that distractable, popping off stage. It will pass, if that is all it is. But, I suggest you try and nurse in a quiet non-stimulating place whenever possible.

Best of luck, mama.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
junebug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

could be nipple confusion, sure sounds like she's frustrated. i agree with the pp: make sure the bottle is slow flow, otherwise your baby will start to prefer the bottle because she now has to work much too hard at the breast comparatively. and 6oz is A LOT. DD is 8 mos and has never taken that much from a bottle, 4oz at most. why is it up to your daycare how much too feed?
junebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #5
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug View Post
and 6oz is A LOT. DD is 8 mos and has never taken that much from a bottle, 4oz at most. why is it up to your daycare how much too feed?
My dd is 9 months and she maybe takes that much the entire time I'm at work, not in one bottle! Nursing laying down in bed was always a sure-fire way to get dd to nurse, even when distracted. And drink lots of water and try to relax to help your supply to catch up. She could be on a growth spurt too, as dd would get frustrated with my supply for a week and want to eat constantly, and then go back to normal.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:37 PM   #6
ammcmaho
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For the last 5 weeks or so DD has definitely preferred the left breast. I can only get her to take the right breast if she's sleeping or in a partial milk coma. At first I thought maybe I was holding her different but it isn't that.

As for the day care bottles... how often are they feeding her? We feed on demand and she gets about a bottle a week or so (she just had one as I'm enjoying a glass of wine) and she never goes over 3 or so ounces. She was born 2/23
Paying for two in child care? An au pair may be cheaper! Great for families who need flexibility!
ammcmaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
fussybutt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! I thought 6oz was a bit extreme. I guess I've just left it up to daycare because I don't give her bottles at home and don't know how much she needs. She eats every 3hrs so I pack three bottles with her current feeding amount and a 4th bottle with some extra for them to add if she needs it, or if I'm running late. DH gives her a bottle once in awhile when I work early and he says she even seems a bit hungry after 6oz! Her weight gain and growth have been incredible but the pediatrician didn't seem concerned.

I have been able to keep up pretty well. I pumped alot yesterday since I had off and was almost able to pump the 18oz needed today. 4oz extra before I left this morning, then I only get one 30min break during the day but was able to get 9.5oz, and then another 3oz from one side before I went to pick her up. Since she sleeps through the night, I'm sure I can pump the rest before bed.

I guess I should feel lucky its not a supply issue. I'm just more frustrated with her not eating from me and all the sores I'm getting from her pulling off and sucking me back in like a noodle. She isn't turning her head to look at things, just to mess around and entertain herself. I actually had a blister on the side of my nipple today that opened up when I started to pump. Talk about burn! And I think the yeast that I have been fighting since day one is back and more painful than ever. I usually feed her lying down in bed because it is the most comfy for me, with no improvment.

Gosh I hope this is a phase! How are the Adiri with gassy babies? I use Dr. Browns BPA free bottles since Gracie used to cry about 12 hours a day until she was 2 1/2 months old and we were trying to figure out if it was gas/reflux/allergies.