Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
imamama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Travelling w/o baby and no pump

I have to go out of state for a couple of days and nights, and my 14 mo. old baby can't come along. He is nursing just once or twice a day but we are both not really ready to wean. I just got rid of my pump last month, thinking I wouldn't need it. I am sure he does not get much anyhow, at this point, but he still likes nursing and I like nursing him.

Do you think this will be the end of nursing, or is it possible we can pick up where we left off after I get back? He will miss at most a total of 5 nursing sessions (Th a.m., Th p.m.; Fri a.m., Fri p.m.; Sat. a.m.).

Advertisement

Old 07-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: Travelling w/o baby and no pump

You can totally pick back up!!! I left my 14 month old baby last November for 4 days, 3 nights. I did have a pump, but I was a pretty inexperienced pumper and nearly lost my supply. It was bad, but when I got home I spent the entire weekend nursing my baby and we were back at it, no problems!

I'd be more concerned about you being able to pump at all. I know you aren't nursing a ton now but you can still experience problems going cold turkey like that. Can you at least hand express for comfort?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
imamama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have never had any luck hand expressing

Last edited by imamama3; 07-03-2008 at 09:54 AM.
imamama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm...do you know anyone with even just a manual pump that you could borrow? If not, then at least be prepared to do warm/cold compresses.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

I'd be worried about you getting engorged too. Anyway you could buy a cheaper hand pump?

I left DS overnight a few weeks ago. He's nursing three-four times a day (so more than your nursling). I had a pump and pumped twice while away from him. I got over four oz both times... so I guess I may be making more milk than I thought!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
imamama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would buy a pump if I thought I would get my money's worth out of it but this is our last child and I would only use the pump this one time, I think, so it's not very cost effective.

I have considered just going ahead and weaning him before I go - it's not until the end of the month. That way I wouldn't have to deal with engorgement. My DD weaned at 16 mos. and my first son at 13 mos. so for him to get almost 15 months out of me is good. I just hate to give it up, KWIM?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
Mama2Noah
Registered Users

My Mood:

don't give it up if you're not ready. Cold cabbage leaves and hot showers will help if you get engorged. You may only experience minor fullness if he doesn't get much milk now. good luck!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
Lovemy4guys
Registered Users

My Mood:

"I would buy a pump if I thought I would get my money's worth out of it but this is our last child and I would only use the pump this one time, I think, so it's not very cost effective."

My sister got her manual pump at Walmart for about $20. I don't know how tight your budget is (depending on where it is in the month $20 for us can be a huge deal, but maybe you should weigh the emotional value of being able to continue BF until you are ready, and not just the money issue. You'd hate do be kicking yourself when you get back wishing you'd just spent the money and been able to keep BFing. On the other hand, if you are feeling it's time to wean, go for it. Just be sure of your decision and don't feel guilty. You've given your LO an amazing gift already, whether you continue or not.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
imamama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just looked on eBay and found a new hand pump that, including shipping, was about $17.00 - being able to keep nursing is certainly worth that much to me even if it's a one-time use so I bought it. Thanks for the suggestion to get a cheap pump becasue I hadn't thought I could find anything that inexpensive!
Old 07-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #10
Lovemy4guys
Registered Users

My Mood:

So glad you found a solution! One more item to check of the "mommy worry" list.