Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2006, 08:37 AM   #61
Armywife
Registered Users

Re: Breastfeeding & bashing

I have to say, that I am 25 years old, have been married to a man for almost 8 years, who is also 25, my brother is 22 and my brother in law is 21, none of us were breast fed...we are all very happy, and completely, healthy adults. I haven't decided if I am going to breast feed or not, but I can say that I would be very ticked off if anyone took it upon themselves to judge or berate me if I chose not to. My kids are my responsibility and how I feed them is also my choice.

Lastly.....my sister in law breastfeeds...which is totally ok with me, that is her choice, but I don't get why (some) women that breastfeed feel the need to almost put themselves on display when they are feeding their children. We can be in the middle of a family dinner, or get together and she will just whip her breast out and start feeding the baby, without a care for anyone else. I think this is tacky and trashy....a person can breast feed without leaving the room, but they can do it with a little class. My husband, uncles, father, and grandparents have no need to see her boobs....why does she insist on doing this??...I have to say that the best retort that I have seen was the last time my husband was home and we were having a family gathering, she whipped herself out and started feeding her baby, and my husband was like "Come on Amber, do you have to be so blatant about it?" and of course my mother in law...who is a lactation consultant...said "It is perfectly natural"...to which he replied " It is perfectly natural for me to take a leak, but you don't see me whipping it out and doing that in front of everyone, it is perfectly natural for me to take a crap, but I don't squat and dump right here, and lastly it is perfectly natual for me and my wife to have sex....yet we don't strip and do that right here either....so what makes this any different...cover yourself up Amber!!!"......which I personally thought was brilliant!!

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2006, 08:58 AM   #62
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

I can honestly say I have to frequently remind my sister that it really isn't her place to condem another mama for not BFing, no matter what their reason is for choosing to FF.

I both BF and FF my DS. I wish I would have exclusively BF him but I simply didn't have the knowledge or support I needed to make it to a full year. He was in the NICU for 5 weeks so from 0-5 weeks he got BF & FF, 5 weeks-6 months he was exclusively BF, 6-9 I worked nights and couldn't pump which hindered my supply so he got BF and FF again and at 9 months my supply cratered and he was fully FF. After DD was born he would nurse on occasion or take EBM in a cup, but not on any regular basis or anything.

With DD I had the knowledge and support I needed and have been BFing her since birth, with only a few (mistakes at previous DCP) formula bottles and she is now 14 months old with no end in sight to nursing.

I know a lot of FF moms and can totally understand why they didn't/can't BF (except the ones who say they didn't BF because they didn't want their boobs to sag, to me that is just stupid because BFing has nothing to do with making your boobs sag). And while yes, I wish every mom would at least try and I would love to see every baby BF, but I don't think choosing to FF means you are selfish (except for the reason stated above) or that you love your baby any less.

I do wish however that when I am nursing my children the FF mothers would leave me alone. The only time I will make a snide remark about FFing is if/when I am being attacked for NIP. I support their right to nurture their children their way, they should also support mine.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:06 AM   #63
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armywife View Post
I have to say, that I am 25 years old, have been married to a man for almost 8 years, who is also 25, my brother is 22 and my brother in law is 21, none of us were breast fed...we are all very happy, and completely, healthy adults. I haven't decided if I am going to breast feed or not, but I can say that I would be very ticked off if anyone took it upon themselves to judge or berate me if I chose not to. My kids are my responsibility and how I feed them is also my choice.

Lastly.....my sister in law breastfeeds...which is totally ok with me, that is her choice, but I don't get why (some) women that breastfeed feel the need to almost put themselves on display when they are feeding their children. We can be in the middle of a family dinner, or get together and she will just whip her breast out and start feeding the baby, without a care for anyone else. I think this is tacky and trashy....a person can breast feed without leaving the room, but they can do it with a little class. My husband, uncles, father, and grandparents have no need to see her boobs....why does she insist on doing this??...I have to say that the best retort that I have seen was the last time my husband was home and we were having a family gathering, she whipped herself out and started feeding her baby, and my husband was like "Come on Amber, do you have to be so blatant about it?" and of course my mother in law...who is a lactation consultant...said "It is perfectly natural"...to which he replied " It is perfectly natural for me to take a leak, but you don't see me whipping it out and doing that in front of everyone, it is perfectly natural for me to take a crap, but I don't squat and dump right here, and lastly it is perfectly natual for me and my wife to have sex....yet we don't strip and do that right here either....so what makes this any different...cover yourself up Amber!!!"......which I personally thought was brilliant!!
I would suggest that no one reply to this post. This poster has only one post (this one) and is purposely trying to fire us up
Old 10-24-2006, 09:30 AM   #64
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrandle View Post
I would suggest that no one reply to this post. This poster has only one post (this one) and is purposely trying to fire us up
Yeah, somebody should definitely delete that. OMG. If somebody said that to me, I'd slap them. lol
Closed Thread