Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
sdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When did your milk come in?

My precious lo was born on Saturday (6/29/08). My milk has not come in fully (at least I don't think so). I have had to use a SNS because he was on my breast constantly and wasn't being satisfied, plus he has lost down to 6 lbs 14 oz after being a 7 lb 8 oz baby (which is about 9% of his birth weight so far). We have to take him back to the doctor on Saturday. I am kind of freaking out (new first time mom) and was wondering 1. when did your milk come in and 2. what can I do to help mine get here.
I also had a c-section which has complicated things as far as pain/ feeding positions go.

Advertisement

Old 07-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
tracyb928
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When did your milk come in?

Mine came in just a day or two after I left the hospital, but you are right, a c-section makes things more complicated sometimes. Here are some links that might help: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html, and this one: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/con...c-section.html Also don't hesitate to contact your LLL leader or a good LC!! Hang in there and nurse as often as you can! Make sure you are not overdoing things, and drink tons of water and eat healthily! One thing to try is to spend the next 48 hours in bed with your newborn, with lots of skin to skin contact and let the baby nurse whenever he/she will. I hope that helps!!
www.twomommasdesigns.com www.hyenacart.com/queencitymamas/
tracyb928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I gave birth on Tuesday morning, and my milk didn't come in until Friday afternoon/evening. Like pp said, keep drinking lots of fluids and nurse or pump as frequently as comfortable. Good luck!
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
MRL2611
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a c-section on Friday morning and my milk was in by Sunday morning. Internet states that in can take up to a week
Old 07-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

With my 2nd baby, it took 5 days. That was the longest it took of all my births.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
iammommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

3 days with my first and second, I think 5 or 6 with my third. Try to relax, it will come

IDDSO: my sanity!
iammommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #7
xelasminin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1st kiddo - 3 days
2nd kiddo - 2 days

like the above poster said, just try and relax, stressing doesn't help! good luck to you!
xelasminin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #8
jewelzbird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

don't freak out now...your milk is probably coming very soon. Is baby pooping? (oh the lovely black tar! :-) I remember reading they can loose up to 10% and be in the normal range. Is that right? Hope you have a pump...oh and take the pain meds if you need to. Pain can prohibit milk I have heard from friends. Not like minor pain, but the major pain can stop milk in its tracks. Good luck!!
Old 07-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #9
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With The Kid, it took me a week for the milk to come in.

With Duckie....well, let's just say that that child ate so much from the get go that by his second day he had already pooped all the black poop and was moving on to regular poop. He was born 8.1 and went down to 7.6 at his two day check up. But that was because he was pooped out.

Also, keep in mind that his constant need to nurse is not because you don't have enough milk to satisfy him but because newborns need to nurse constantly. His tummy is about the size of his fist and can only manage to hold a couple of ounces of milk at a time. And breastmilk is digested quickly. You should stay in bed with baby and do nothing but sleep and nurse. Have everyone else around you keep you fed and you just worry about resting and feeding your bebe.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #10
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oops, double post
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote