Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2006, 06:28 PM   #11
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My Pediatrician got HOSTILE!

I think what really hurts the most is that I worry that they wont give Emma the proper care, simply because of my standpoint on vaccinations. Its like once they hear Im not vaxing right away, they immediately loose interest in my child and her health.
I also wonder if they might just do something crazy like calling Childrens Services. I know I had a girlfriend who refused the vitamin K injection for her newborn, and DCS showed up AT the Hospital threatening to take her child away for "neglect".

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2006, 06:39 PM   #12
TKDMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here in MO I've heard of the DFS being called on people who cancelled their vax appointments! Obviously that's ridiculous because I'm pretty sure in every state you have some legal way of opting out - but the DFS could still make your life rough, anyway. You're definitely better off to find a dr who supports not vaxing, if you can. Then you won't be harrassed. I used a homeopathic physician as our "pediatrician" - he's a family dr - and his office was used to people not vaxing (I know all his kids were born at home, and I don't know if any of them were vaxed or not), so they gave us no trouble. I hope you can find someone like that; it sure alleviates a lot of stress to not have to "fight" for your rights.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:39 PM   #13
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemom View Post
I think what really hurts the most is that I worry that they wont give Emma the proper care, simply because of my standpoint on vaccinations. Its like once they hear Im not vaxing right away, they immediately loose interest in my child and her health.
I also wonder if they might just do something crazy like calling Childrens Services. I know I had a girlfriend who refused the vitamin K injection for her newborn, and DCS showed up AT the Hospital threatening to take her child away for "neglect".
Ugh. It is really hard here in the south to do "out of the norm" things. Our ped told me about vaxes when I said I wanted to delay and separate, but he wasn't condescending. He just gave me info that he had and said if I had any questions, to let him know. He in no way made me feel that if we didn't do it, well, that it was his way or the highway. Have you tried to see if there is an AP meeting in your area? They may be able to point you to a ped that is covered by your insurance that is more in line with your wants and needs.
www.attachmentparenting.org (believe it or not, they're actually based in Nashville)
oh- here you go, I looked http://www.attachmentparenting.org/group/webtn.shtml
the Knoxville group meets the last Monday of each month at 10:30 am at the West Knoxville Branch Library meeting room (I don't know how close you are to Knoxville) - maybe you could even contact the lady whose name is listed and ask if she has a list of AP-friendly peds in your area?

as far as the vit. k shot. . . freaking ridiculous. I had a similar problem. the ped we had originally chosen, showed up and started looking my dd over and harrasing me, basically about not getting HepB and the vitK shot. I was emotionally and physically drained, and sorry to say, I gave in on the vitK shot. *sigh* I am still angry about that. I did however immediately switch peds. She basically made me feel like a complete idiot and that my daughter would DIE if she didn't immediately get this shot.

Good luck Mama. Find a new ped, you'll feel better. I also would write a letter to your insurance and to the office saying how outraged you are.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #14
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

(hugs) mama! I had a VERY similar situation. I actually DID get the ulitmatum and was told to leave the Drs practice. I haven't writen a nasty letter yet because I have to first find a new pediatrician. I really dont know how to find one though because the few that I've called who take our insurance and are accepting new patients have already given me a hard time about the non vaxing when I ask about it. I really like the one person's comment about it being religous discrimination!! My ped was extremely condescending and yeah... same as you. Ugh! I really need to find a new one but dont know where to look....
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #15
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

He is just doing what he was taught. He really believes what he is saying. Sad, huh! Bummer that your insurance is so restrictive. If you have to stay with that office, stick to your guns and expect them to do the same. Maybe just remind them that your vacc schedule has NOTHING to do with why you came to see them that day. GL!
Old 10-03-2006, 07:47 PM   #16
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i agree with the PP, & we vax our kids and that pisses me fof too, the dr and his staff have no business talking down on you about your personel choices !
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:59 PM   #17
trashley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm very fortunate with my pediatrician, but I agree with a PP that you need to inform your insurance company. They are 95% of the time unaware of what kind of practices they are supporting. That is uncalled for and I think that even with limited choices you could at least find a dr that won't insult your intelligence and capabilities as a mother.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:33 PM   #18
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Agh!!!! I get so irritated about this subject simply because I'm SICK of Drs, public/society & for some of us- teachers, friends, family, etc NOT understanding that you want to be INFORMED and you are well within your rights to educate and make an informed decision. It's a personal decision period and everyone should be treated with respect no matter what decision that is!

I completely understand the comments about saying that it's your religious beliefs and that if they want to discriminate against you b/c of that- you'll contact a lawyer....BUT I think this should only be said if that's the truth. (many don't because of facts not even relevent to their religious beliefs) It's really sad that in order for pp to get acceptance on not vaxing is if they 'pull the religion card'. As if somehow that's the only reason why you should be respected.

Mama- although I'm sure you have PLENTY of things to keep you busy, I would encourage you to express your feelings to the Dr directly, along with the staff. They need to realize that they are offending patients and are not following a professional manner in their office. Most offices that I am aware of have a Patient Bill of Rights which should include verbiage to the extent that the patient has the right to make their own decisions and to be treated with respect.

To give them the benefit of the doubt- they might not be aware that their words/actions are and have been offensive.

Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #19
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan View Post
I completely understand the comments about saying that it's your religious beliefs and that if they want to discriminate against you b/c of that- you'll contact a lawyer....BUT I think this should only be said if that's the truth. (many don't because of facts not even relevent to their religious beliefs) It's really sad that in order for pp to get acceptance on not vaxing is if they 'pull the religion card'. As if somehow that's the only reason why you should be respected.
I say it, because IMO if you have a certain belief for your family IE not eating meat, or not vaxing, then it is a personal religious belief. You don't have to be part of a religous organization to have it.

SAHM to my crazy toddler
janendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:41 PM   #20
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

in answer to that tirade, I would say "thank you for the information, but my decision is still the same. now about this eye infection..."
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote