Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
MotherGoose518
Registered Users

To test or not to test... post partum AF question...

For those of you who got your periods back in the first six months and were EBF, how normal are they?

I had slight spotting for 2 days in May and then 27 days later I had a full on period that lasted a full week. My cycles normally 27-28 days. It is very rare that I am late and not pregnant I can count on my hands the number of times I've gone longer than 28 days and not been pregnant, going all the way back to when I started having periods in junior high.

I am now on day 29 and have some definate symptoms. The only one I don't have is nipple tenderness. DD will be 6 months on Monday. I wont be upset if I am, but I've not tested yet because I don't really want to be. I'm thinking I should probably just go ahead and test, but I keep hoping AF will just show up and I wont have to. I'm trying to decide if I should send DH to get me a test in the morning or if I should give it a few more days since it's only my second post partum AF and I'm still nursing exclusively.

Advertisement

MTHFR + possible Ehler's Danlos Syndrome
Lovenox, Folic Acid Therapy, Aspirin Therapy
MotherGoose518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
Katiebear
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: To test or not to test... post partum AF question...

My first cycle after AF came back was 55 days long. The next one was 40 days, then it became a lot more regular (under 30 days). I was late ONCE before I was pregnant, and that was due to extreme stress.

I would wait another week. Chances are, AF will show up, and if she doesn't and you are pregnant, you're less likely to get a falst negative (I think). It could be that some of your symptoms are PMS (that happened to me for my first 2 periods post baby).
Katiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
livvy1216
Registered Users

My Mood:

so, when dd was 4 months old, i got my first AF. I only had three AF until her 1st birthday (she was still nearly EBF at that time). after she turned 1, then i had them about every 6-8 weeks. i was also on the mini-pill too, which may have made them less regular. not breastfeeding, i'm usually very, very regular also.

when ds was born, i also went on the mini-pill, and didn't see AF until after his 1st birthday. and i've been regular ever since (he's 2 now).

go ahead and test if you think it will help...at least you'll know. i've taken lots of tests just to check i wouldn't be at all surprised if it were negative though. good luck!
livvy1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
MomToJazmyne
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I got my first AF back when J was about 5 months old and they were highly irregularlasting anywhere from 52 days to currently 28 days. I have only had my 28 day cycles back for 2 months and she will be two next month. I was/am on no type of BC whatsoever...this is just what my body did naturally. I would test just to be on the safe side though/ Good luck and I hope you et the results that you want.

J (8/15/06) and L (4/25/13)
MomToJazmyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
andrea0324
Registered Users

My Mood:

With both of my girls, AF showed up 6 weeks after they were born and were like clockwork from then on. I know it's not the typical experience, though.

I blog! Stop on by! www.northernlightsmama.blogspot.com
andrea0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
kellidarling
Registered Users
seller

We EBF and I was surprised when my period came back at 6 months pp. I really wasn't expecting it so soon!
I went right back to a 28 day cycle, but only had one more period before I got pregnant!! (REALLY wasn't expecting THAT so soon!! -very happy suprise! )
kellidarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

Mine are always irregular for the first several months after I start back.