Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
Angel3167
Registered Users

My Mood:
I am a convience era child!

Help me! My sis and I were talking about how when we were raised it was all about the convience foods and how quick cooking can be. We were raised straight out of box food.
So now I am trying to teach myself how to REAL cooking happens. We are trying to make things as convienent as they can be so I won't feel so overwhelmed. Do you have any tips?
Like DH and I are going to try mixing up a couple canning jars of the dry ingredients for muffins and biscuits so that all we have to do is add the wet ingredients.
We are also thinking of freezing some meals but DH can be picky and I don't really know what to freeze. Do you think chicken cut into chunks and cooked we be good? That way it's just heat and eat.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I am a convience era child!

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
natesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

FIL grills a bunch of chicken strips and freezes them in portions to throw on salads so i don't see why not...
Old 07-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
Angel3167
Registered Users

My Mood:

Anyone else?
Old 07-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
tommymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

If you put a lot of effort into this you will get really good. I suggest watching Semi Homemade with Sandra Lee or getting a book like that. (I use Pretty Darn Quick Vegetarian by Donna Klein) A book like this teaches you how to assemble recipes but you don't have to make all the parts. For example, you can make a pizza with a store bought pizza crust, a jar of pizza sauce and some shredded mozzarella. So thats good.

But then you can make a few pizza crusts and freeze the dough for later:

Combine in a large bowl and let stand for about 5 minutes:
1 1/3 cups warm water
1 package active dry yeast
Add:
3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar

Mix by hand or with a dough hook for about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl lightly coated with olive oil. Turn it once to coat it w/ the olive oil. Cover w/ plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place (1 1/2 hours). Preheat oven to 475 and grease baking sheet and dust with cornmeal (this tastes really good and makes it feel like a restaurant pizza but I make it without the cornmeal if I dont have any) punch down dough and divide in half. Roll into a ball and cover loosely for 10 minutes. Roll out the dough to 12" and make a lip on the edges. Brush the top with olive oil and use your fingertips to put dents in the surface to prevent bubbling. (makes two) from The Joy of Cooking by Irma Rombauer.

So now you have crusts and you can top them with jarred pizza sauce and cheese or BBQ sauce, cheese and chicken (if you must, LOL)and sliced red onion, or with refried beans and salsa and Mexican cheese.

Pizza sauce:
15 oz can diced tomatoes
small can tomato paste
2 cloves minced garlic
dried oregano to taste

Heat all in a pan first to soften garlic and then put the mix in a food processor. Good luck

Last edited by tommymommy; 07-06-2008 at 11:20 AM.
tommymommy is offline   Reply With Quote