Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #11
fallon
Black Sheep Boutique
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just need some hugs b/c it's never going to happen - "regression" in #10

sounds like she isn't ready...sorry mama ((HUGS)) It'll happen one day

Advertisement

fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
joanna19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama, we are not there yet. We were ecing and then had a regression and now she HATES to sit on the potty. Not sure what to do about that, but anyways, I feel your frustration mama and wanted to come over and give you good potty vibes!
Old 09-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #13
clothmamaof4
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Girls are usually easier to train than boys but my daughter still wasn't fully trained until she was about 2.5 and out of me and my 6 sisters only 1 was trained at 19 months, it usually happens between 2 and 3 for girls and 3 and 4 for boys. Just keep going at it and trying, sounds like she's getting there. I'm having right there with you with my almost 3 yr old boy, he's aware and all but isn't the least bit interested in actually using it in the potty. I'm not forcing it though cause it became a battle of wills with my oldest and he didn't fully train til he was just shy of 4 yrs old and I don't want to go there again.
clothmamaof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #14
adonairoi
Registered Users
seller

My daughter is definitely still learning now, too. She was doing well for a while but then the potty lost its novelty.

This is what we did to help her to understand what the potty was for: whenever she pooped in her diaper I would take it and put it into her potty, (instead of the big toilet) we'd sing our "poop in the potty" song and then put it in the big toilet and flush. She soon figured out that what she put in her diaper could also go in the potty, and she also found this very fun.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:01 AM   #15
RockinClothBunz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd say be consistent. DD used to go and stand next to the potty and pee on the floor! Haha! She was trying to stand and potty like her brother. I would take her everytime I went, ds went, or dh went. She is 21 months and has been in undies for a month now. One thing that really helps me keep her on the potty long enough, especially for #2, is to give her pictures of babies. She is OBSESSED with babies. I will give her my old parents magazines (which I won't read anymore) and I made her own photo album that has pics of ds and her as a baby. She only gets to look at them during the time she is sitting on the potty. She gets very excited and it keeps her attention log enough to make her go.

DS was a different story. He was pee potty trained at 26 months, poo potty trained (he used to make us put a diaper on him) at 38 months, and night potty trained a week ago. He was the type of kid that accepted my encouragement but he was totally going to do it on his own time and I had to accept that.

Good luck. Every kid is different (of course you knew that).
Auntie to Trentin 5-31-09
RockinClothBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #16
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinClothBunz View Post
I would take her everytime I went, ds went, or dh went. ...... She only gets to look at them during the time she is sitting on the potty.
So during this "every time" that you or anyone else went, was she already in underwear or something easily removable? We used pinned prefolds right now and I could take them off every time and have her sit on her potty when I'm sitting on my potty (lol), but I just wanted to know.

And then the second part... back when we were letting her sit on the potty more often, we did have a special book that she would only get while on the potty. It lost its appeal after a while, but she still "looks" for it. She'll go in the bathroom and identify the potty by name, then right after that she will look around and say "bookie? bookie?" lol. It's like she remembers that they go together. But if you actually try to get her to use them both together, she'll have nothing to do w/ either of them.
Harmony96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #17
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post

But anyway. She was acting a little "fussy for no reason" and made her cry that I think sounds like her "I need to poopoo" cry, so I tried to get her to sit on either her little potty or the big potty and she would have none of it, not even w/ her book or anything. Earlier than today, even just a few weeks earlier, she would at least be content to sit on her little potty even if nothing was happening, but not now.
She sounds about the same as our little one (she is 19 months) she was getting into the routine that if you sat her on the potty she'd pee Then she wanted to sit on the 'big potty' and wasn't keen on sitting on her potty, so I got her a stool and a ring for the toilet thinking that would really help. Well, she sits on the toilet and wants to play with the toilet paper and that's it - no pee! What she really likes is the stool which she uses to stand at the counter and brush her teeth for hours and wash her hands and generally cause havoc with whatever is on the counter. She has no interest in sitting down and peeing anymore! I'm taking it as a distracted phase since she wants to try new things. I think they're probably prone to that at this age, anything new you have to do CONSTANTLY! She has also always loved her baths but is too busy now to have a bath and we have quite the time getting her in. I guess I'm posting this just to say, maybe it is a this week thing, she is busy with something else, hehe. I'm there with you and completely understand!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #18
laj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After hearing so much about boys being "harder to train" than girls, I was very excited when my boys took an interest in using their potties at 22 months. They lost their interest after about 2 weeks though. Like you, I was stressing myself out over it - I figured that if they knew what they were for and could actually go on them, why wouldn't they just keep doing it?! It got to the point where they would refuse to even sit on their potties, so I just gave up on the idea of them being out of diapers by 2. DH and I kept encouraging them to use them, but other than that, we gave the lead up to them. Fast forward 10 months and all on their own they would occasionally ask to use the potty. The sense of pride that they have after a pee (and after hearing our songs of praise) is amazing. One of my guys is still a bit resistent (I'm sure he'll be one of those kids who will just decide one day that he doesn't want to wear diapers anymore and that will be that), but the other one is consistently using the potty. I really do believe that it will happen when they're ready and by waiting for that, it'll be a much easier process for everyone involved.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #19
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

*sigh*

Remind me that if I see a thread w/ a title of "My 13 month old went pee pee in the potty!" to just not open it, b/c all it will do is make me feel bad.
Harmony96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #20
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Please don't feel discouraged! She will do it when she is ready. She won't be in diapers forever. Don't rush her.

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote