Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2006, 04:55 PM   #21
aran_knitter
Registered Users

Re: This is why I refuse to let dogs around my child!!!

I agree with the list of breeds posted above... while adding Chow to it. I worked as a kennel manager/groomer for several years, and have also trained/shown dogs. There are breeds out there with very bad track records.

Some breeds/breed types have natural tendancies toward certain behaviors. Some are more likely to be nervous, some are more active and need exercise, some are known for being very loyal, and some are known for agression. Often (although not always), these attributes have been deliberately bred in to that kind of dog. I like German Shepherds, I think they are beautiful and intelligent - but there is a reason for why they are so popular as guard or police dogs. Some breeds are deliberately bred to be aggressive/fighters, and have been bred for that purpose for many years. Unfortunately, no amount of "socializing" or training can take out what has been developed over many years.

Granted you may find an occasional "fluke" - my parents always seem to end up with those! A sheltie that doesn't bark, a dachshund that is mellow, a bull mastiff that mothers the children as though they were her own puppies. Yes, those "go against the flow" dogs are out there, but they are so few and far between, that I will, from my experience with dogs, never trust some breeds, no matter how sweet the owners claim they are.

Parents, as well as pet owners, are well-advised to supervise child-pet time. Too much can happen in a brief moment.

Advertisement

http://bruisedreed.wordpress.com/
aran_knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:13 PM   #22
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Pit bull is a breed, it just isn't an AKC recognized breed. It is recognized by the ABA and the UKC I believe. However when we talk about pit bull attacks usually it is any dog with a bully appearance. Not all pits are agressive, my friend had one when I was younger and he was the most loving dog I have ever known. But dogs are dogs and they are not human. But when you come to it there are few humans I would trust my kids unsupervised with, maybe I am just over protective. When ds1 was born I gave up my best friend, a wolf hybrid who I had raised from a pup. He was afraid of children and so he went to live with a friend whose children were already grown. It was my responsibility not only to keep my son safe, but also to make my dog happy. He wouldn't have been happy locked up all of the time. I have known some really great dogs of all breeds in my life, but I have never met a dog I would trust alone with my young children.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:25 PM   #23
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

This is an issue of responsible pet ownership IMO, it has nothing to do with the breed of the dog. We have a pitt bull and although she is sweet and extreemly non-agressive, I don't even bring my baby in the same room/yard with her unless I'm holding the baby, and dh is there to control the dogs. When she gets older I will not leave her alone with the dog. I feel the same way about my brothers boxer and my mom's old english sheep dog.
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:00 PM   #24
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooey View Post
This is an issue of responsible pet ownership IMO, it has nothing to do with the breed of the dog. We have a pitt bull and although she is sweet and extreemly non-agressive, I don't even bring my baby in the same room/yard with her unless I'm holding the baby, and dh is there to control the dogs. When she gets older I will not leave her alone with the dog. I feel the same way about my brothers boxer and my mom's old english sheep dog.
ITA!

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:11 PM   #25
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooey View Post
ITA too!
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:59 PM   #26
small_wonders_wipes
Registered Users
seller

Animals can be very unpredictable. We have had better luck with mix breeds. The dog that I grew up with was very gentle and she was very loving with me. It just depends on the dog and on the environment they are in.

My parents had a neighbor with a really big dog- it was mix but mostly yellow lab. He was a huge dog. He was very gentle with me and my mom, but he did not like men. He would lean against me and beg to be pet, and then the next minute he would try to nip my dad's hand. This same dog also mauled our neighbors cat and killed all my mom's chicken just for fun! You just never know!
small_wonders_wipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:33 PM   #27
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Natalya View Post
Well you know, the thing is, dogs are, animals. We have two dogs that I love dearly, and DD Loves, but they are animals and can revert to animal behavior at any time. It's not just pit bulls, rotts, pinschers, etc. It's all dogs.
I read a story once about a year ago where a couple's pomeranian mauled and killed their two-week old son that they had laid on their bed to sleep.
yes. pomeranian.

It's just common sense. Animals are animals and can behave as such, even if we do consider them members of the family.
I agree. There's nothing wrong with having animals and letting your kids play with them even, but I feel that it should ALWAYS be supervised and that you're within arms reach of them in case anything were to happen.

I don't blame the dog, it is obviously agression, but it's an animal. The child might have innocently done something that startled the dog. The parent should have been there watching, and if the dog had attacked before, to be honest I'm down right furious that the father let the child play with him. How stupid.

Prayers for that poor sweet little girl. Hopefully she will make a full recovery. And maybe the dad will have gained some brains in the process.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #28
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel bad for that baby, and i do know that some people have no porblemswith having their kidsareound agressive dogs. I amnot one of those. I actaully had toget ridof my super sweet, non agrssive mastiff, becasuse she was blind, and accidnelty caught my dd arm inher mouth. She didnt bite, but it was too close for me, and i sent her to mastiff rescue.
I also do LOVE pitbulls, and found most ofthe breed was less agressive than alot of other common "family" breeds while iw as serving my life as a vet tech at the Shelter and hospitals. I would trust my kids around pit bulls LONG before Dalmations and Chows. My mom has a dalmation that i wont allow my kids near.
Ih ave to say I personally have never seen a generlaly non agressivepit attack. BUt ihvae however seen a non agressive chow attack her owner, same as dalmations and german shepherds.
I want to get a pitbull or 2, buthubby hears the same stereotypes that many other her, andhe has no experiencewith the breed, like many others, so it wont be happening. I do not believeanyone can outright call out any particular breed. ANY dog can attack. I have seen some fierce Chihuhuas, and poms as well as dalmations and great danes... ANY dog can get bitey.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:12 AM   #29
Cadensmommy
Registered Users
seller

my parents have the sweetest chow ever I know thats not the norm but I think a lot depends on the owners and raising also, I have two shnauzers and will never buy another breed again I am hooked! they are the best great with kids my son can do anything to them and the best part they dont shed!!! I love that i never have dog hair! we live with my dad and he has a yellow lab also wonderfull with Caden thats his best friend they are inseprible its too cute! i feel bad for that kid that god bit..

Clarissa
Old 10-06-2006, 12:37 AM   #30
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree that it sounds like an irresponsible pet owner. I also agree about the breeds mentioned by pp's that are well-known for their temperment.

About 6 months ago, I was attacked by my neighbors dog....a full bred border collie mix. She always seemed a little more aggressive, but her and her babies (not really babies anymore, but they were hers) kept getting out of the fence. One day, they went down the street and bullied a small Pomeranian tied outside. The owner had a cow and went to my neighbors house, where he almost got bit, himself. I went outside and told him I'd go call my neighbor to come outside and get his dog. After many attempts, I couldn't get him to answer his telephone. I had gone over there MANY times, but just as I walked out my front gate (ON MY OWN LAWN) she came around the corner and latched onto the back of my leg. I slowly inched my way back up to my door, where I called animal control and 911 to send someone to come look at my leg. I ended up not needing stitches, but she was put to sleep 2 weeks later. They had NO shots for this dog...NONE! So, they quarantined her for 10 days for a rabies test and then he couldn't afford to get her out. He's LUCKY that I wasn't carrying my infant son when she attacked me or I would've killed her with my own bare hands to save my child! I can only assume if my daughter were playing in the yard, she would've been targeted as well.
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15 IT'S A GIRL!!!
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote